Misty mountains in Knoxville TN

• @tanza The threads and stories I've read about owners bonding with dogs since puppyhood only to find out later in the dogs life that it's Fanconi affected... It's heart breaking, yet far too late. I agree. Breeder should pay.

• @jengosmonkey said in Misty mountains in Knoxville TN:

@tanza The threads and stories I've read about owners bonding with dogs since puppyhood only to find out later in the dogs life that it's Fanconi affected... It's heart breaking, yet far too late. I agree. Breeder should pay.

Totally AGREE... however if you get cute little puppy and have it tested for Fanconi or PRA are you willing to send that puppy back? Better to find that out before had "IF" you have questions or concerns about the breeder. This is way we suggest you do your homework and talk to the breeders before committing to a puppy

• You would keep the puppy, pay all the bills and be miserable for the wee animal

• @zande said in Misty mountains in Knoxville TN:

Bob and Jack Schafer bred Basenjis through the 1950s, 60s and 70s

I was begging my parents to let me have a dog (any dog) during those decades, so... Basenji's were not on my radar as yet. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @elbrant said in Misty mountains in Knoxville TN:

Basenji's were not on my radar as yet.

They weren't on mine until I married Marvin in 1977 but 'something about them' spurred me into studying their history since they emerged from the Jungle in some depth ! He had bred them since about 1956 - and was a fountain of knowledge so I guess I was privileged.

• There are no reputable Basenji breeders in TN. Responsible owners who live in TN and care about the breed go out of state to get our Bs.

This woman does not have a legit kennel. There isn't even a fenced yard at the address she provides. She tries to charge $1000+ without providing any health info or really any info at all and assumes she can because the breed is "rare."

I didn't try to get a B from her-- both of mine came from other states-- but I know someone who did. I feel very, very bad for her dogs-- if she has any.

• I also had a B from the kennel that traded on the Cambria name. My dog had that "Cambria pedigree" so I thought I did my research. He, like most of his line, had Fanconi. He was a joy and I had him for 15 years, thanks to Dr. Gonto, but Fanconi is very hard. Which is why I personally checked that Knoxville breeder out.

Good luck, OP, on your Basenji search! Find a responsible breeder who cares about the breed and the health of their dogs, and you won't be sorry.

• @lifewithava - sorry to hear that you had a pup with Fanconi.. but certainly you did all you could to give that pup a wonderful life. And for sure, it is not easy. That is why now we have DNA testing and it is important that people research health testing and make sure the parents were tested...before breeding. Keep in mind that this is a cheek swab test that owners do themselves.

• @lifewithava You (and Steve Gonto !) did extraordinarily well to keep him going for 15 years - well done.

There is honestly no excuse for breeding puppies with this scourge - testing is easy, and weighed against all the possible anguish and vet bills, very cheap indeed.

But the message is simply not going out to puppy mills and back yard breeders. So maybe we are targeting the wrong audience and persuading puppy purchasers to INSIST on seeing parents' health checks before even considering placing an order would do more good.

Anyone reading this who knows anyone thinking about getting a Basenji - start spreading the gospel - Parents MUST be health tested.

• @zande - So true Zande, the test is 65.00 and considering the heartbreak and cost of caring for a Fanconi Basenji (try shoving down 20+ pills a day) it is something that anyone breeding, even Back Yard Breeders or Puppymills should always do... Also if someone happens to get a puppy or is unsure about the breeder they did get a Basenji puppy from, spend the 65.00 and have the DNA Fanconi test done... again it is a cheek swab that you order from OFA.org

Suggested Topics