• @zande - Funny you should talk about bitches sharing.... my Maggii let Mickii "mother" the babies, but she didn't get milk and C-Me let Franie play Mom with her babies, but she didn't get milk either. GOOD THING since I was still showing both of them... LOL

• @tanza My grandmothers have always had milk to help Mom with the babies. Its hilarious to see two bitches feeding in the same whelping box !

• @zande said in Princess Sparkle...:

My grandmothers have always had milk to help Mom with the babies

grateful that human females don't share this trait 😉

• I saw a thread today where someone was upset about getting to many email updates. I respect that. I'm kinda at the other end of the spectrum in that I don't get enough. I love seeing the new guys like @jamesmw. What an awesome long legged big footed lil' dude he is. More Please!

So... a Sparkle puppy update. EVERYBODIES EYES ARE OPEN! YAY!!! So, what does that mean? It means play time! Puppies are playing with one another. Climbing one another with purpose, gnawing one another... and me! I'm not certain, but I think I may have felt a tooth.

This is the other weird thing... Momma walks in, and she won't lie down. She stands to clean everyone first. She doesn't abide a dirty bed. While she's doing this the strong one's move beneath her and crane their necks to find a tap (nipple). I'm sorry. Makes me laugh every time.

Several pups have learned to sit, scratch ears and other dog things at less than 3 weeks old. It's silly, but they're so small still that it cracks me up. PUPPIES!

They're getting really mobile. WOW! Tank (Blugee) is vocal too. He growls already. I like him.

Puppy breath... yes. I can smell it now. Wish I could bottle it and send to everyone.

Everyone has moved from newborn collars to bigger puppy collars. I'm saving the little ones for the the new monkeys if they want them along with birthing day pictures.

The family room smells like a kennel! And we keep it really clean! Dogs still smell like dogs. I have to say though... I love it so much. I really do.

I still can't believe that I have a pack of Basenjis. I have the Grand Champion Mom, a Champion Dad and six puppies at my house since breeding and birth. What a privilege. Ya, it's been work and will continue to be more. I get that. Still... I get why people do this.

• PXL_20220107_044235349 (Medium).jpg

• @jengosmonkey Greg - I love ❤️your updates and photos - keep them coming! The puppies are gorgeous and it sounds like you’re having a BLAST! 🐾🐾 Puppy Power! 👊

• You should keep up the updates, Greg. At least then we can check that you are going the right things !!! LOL

Sparkle will stand up to feed more and more and you will get used to seeing a positive skirt of puppies being dragged along as she tries to indicate "ENOUGH ! Bar is closing now !" and move away ! And she will probably start to nose them out of the bed-box to empty.

• @elbrant said in Princess Sparkle...:

grateful that human females don't share this trait

They used to. Ever hear of a "wet nurse"?

• @eeeefarm Yes, but I never thought that was "Grandma", a wet nurse was another woman who had given birth relatively recently in relation to when the need arose.

• @eeeefarm and @elbrant I think that is probably correct. A wet-nurse was normally someone who had given birth recently and either had milk to spare or was subservient to Madame and often fed her employers' children before her own !

In the case of Basenji Grandmothers, they lactate 'on demand' to assist other members of the pack.

• @zande Mares sometimes do this as well. I have seen a barren mare come into milk when she "mothered" someone else's foal. One of my friends had a mare that did this more than once, she was a solution for someone with an orphaned foal. As far as humans are concerned, this article is interesting.

With horses, many people collect and bank colostrum from early milking, in case of need. Do dog breeders do that?

• This post is deleted!

• @zande - Very true... bitches will stop laying down and sit or stand when pups are about this age and yes they are starting to get the "razor blade" milk teeth... and when she has had enough she will "leave" them. As Zande said, enough is enough.... and at this age they are starting to "drain" the milk supply pretty quick especially as you start to reduce her food and give them "slop" to try out. And they will get more slop on themselves and feet from walking in the food... LOL... Mom will try to get to the food also, no big deal... Mom's are a great "clean up"... just like a dishwasher... LOL

• @eeeefarm I certainly never have and I don't know of anyone who has.

• @tanza You have a good point there - we always started on 'solid' food when the eyes opened. At first kibble very finely ground, with a little milky water. Flat dishes so they could walk through it !!!! Actually I used the plastic trays - underpinnings - of pot plants.

Gradually the 'gruel' became less finely ground and a little bit of meat added. Yes we do use Pedigree Chum Puppy here ! Until the mix more closely resembled what the biggies have by the time they are fully weaned.

Sometimes individual bowls and sometimes (supervised closely !) one large bowl so they learned to share.

• Update time... It's been a while since the last one and MUCH has changed. By a week ago tomorrow everyone's eyes were open. Took a few days for vision to improve, but by Saturday they were MUCH more mobile. By Monday they were on the move big time. I took down the x-pen surrounding the whelping box and set it up in the family room between the couch and the TV. I have a crate set up on one end with a litter box in front of it. The idea is to get the pups use to a crate and hopefully get them to use a litter box. The crate is no problem. They took to that like ducks to water. The litter box is still a work in progress.

They love their current monkeys. The pen is big enough that we can get in with them, love them, kiss them and play with them, which they love. So does Mamma. Gives her breaks to rest. She's now doing the standing and sitting feeding as well as lying down. They're about 3 and half weeks now. and we'll start weening them shortly. By this weekend at the latest most likely.

I know they can hear now. I think I've mentioned that when I beep a song to Logan (Star Wars theme is his favorite) that he howls for me. I got him spun up and howling last night, and low and behold... puppies started to howl too! Then Sparkle joined in! That was awesome. The whole family was going!

I'm beginning to see personalities emerge now too. Some love to play, Others want to be cuddled. And still others do both depending on mood. Some are really confident. Others need encouragement. I'm finally at the point I wanted to be at. The point where I've got a pack of puppies crawling all over me, gnawing on me, licking me, looking me in the eye, etc. They're really a blast right now.

OH! And tails! I have a few that when they're really awake and active... their tails curl up and over their backs and the tail tip now touches their back! Still much too soon for true tail curl. Also, tails tips look fantastic! Nice white fluffy tail tips with no signs of irritation on any of them. They are definitely looking more like little Basenjis every day. Thier snouts are much longer than they were a few weeks ago and teeth are ripping through gums big time! They're more vocal now too.

I'm not weighing them every day anymore, but I weighed one yesterday and he was nearly three pounds! All of them look nice and chubby. No umbilical hernias that I can see. Coordination and strength improve daily. Oh, and their little faces are so cute right now. They still have peppered noses. I'll try and post pictures soon. I've got to upload them to my computer, crop and reduce their size, which is going to take a bit of time. I've been taking a ton!

• Sounds like you’re having so much FUN! So glad to hear that Sparkle ✨ and the pups are doing well! ❤🐾

• @jengosmonkey - Sounds like they are doing great... have fun with them.... and make lots of noise... like pots/pans and for sure getting Logan to howl at them is great.... good job!

• @jengosmonkey And I never worried about umbilical herinas.... pretty normal for Basenjis... but you did a great job with the babies...

• You are doing all the right things, Greg.

Very exciting !

You also need to yodel, Basenji fashion, or get Logan to do it so the pups hear it and yodel too.

Suggested Topics