• Cause and effect. Elbrant has the right of it. You have to say NO as he jumps up, not while he is lying comfy. Its similar to never saying BAD dog when your pet runs away and comes back to you. The animal will think the crime lies in coming back to master. Any verbal admonishment (scream !) must be instantaneous so the dog relates. I do that = he/she screams

• @little_t said in Basenji help and advice:

Thank you @Zande and @eeeefarm for your advice.

The other issue is he only listens when I raise my voice or he will just not give crap! I started with firmness but can't get his attention but if you raise your voice he is all ears.

How do you know if he is scared and fears as this is the last thing I want!

Count yourself lucky if he's listening to you at all! 😁 They're really good at being selectively deaf.

But yes @elbrant and @Zande are right that you need to "catch them in the act" so to speak. Ditto with rewards BTW. Speaking of which, if you don't want him on the sofa, you can use rewards to get him wanting to lounge in his dog bed.

I've never experienced a Basenji getting afraid of a correction so I don't think you need worry too much about that.

• Thanks everyone for your advice.

I know my basenji understands and he does listen to me but he has selective hearing. We are traning on it and he is getting better each day.

Suggested Topics