• K, so we all know that Wikipedia isn't the all-knowing internet source of all knowledge known to the universe… So, I have some questions...

Are Basenjis really like the "temperament" section located here?

Are they really so intelligent that they "[are] not above testing the limits of its environment and owner just for sport?" and "[find] few creatures a Basenji is likely to encounter (including its owner!) that it does not believe it can outwit or outrun?" (Kinda sums myself up… :p)

That's kinda the reason I've been looking into getting one of these pups... I want a pup that is just like me... And I want a really smart pup... One that takes to training easily and has enough common sense not to chase a bird off a steep cliff or something (seeing as how North Dakota has no terrain differences, I figure I'm pretty safe from this aspect. :p)

I also wonder... What are their personalities like when it comes to obedience? Can they be trained/raised into one that observes the "golden rule" so to speak? I've always wanted a dog that would be obedient not out of fear or out of food motivation, but out of respect for its owners... I have only seen a handful of dogs actually behave this way... Is it possible with a Basenji?

I've only had one dog in my life that behaved this way. The pup was more of a friend or a brother to me than it was a pet. I've found that if one raises the pup from the time it is old enough to leave its mother, that the pup will learn this kind of behavior. However, it's not guaranteed, and only one or two out of a litter will have this personality... 😕

Also, are there any breeders or anyone in North Dakota with a small Basenji pup that needs a good home in a suburb of Bismarck, free of large tractor tires, free of traffic, and with plenty of running/roaming territory?

Thanks,

• CK

• @CeeKay:

K, so we all know that Wikipedia isn't the all-knowing internet source of all knowledge known to the universe… So, I have some questions...

Are Basenjis really like the "temperament" section located here?

Yup, Yup!!

Are they really so intelligent that they "[are] not above testing the limits of its environment and owner just for sport?" and "[find] few creatures a Basenji is likely to encounter (including its owner!) that it does not believe it can outwit or outrun?" (Kinda sums myself up… :p)

Yup, Yup, Yup!!

That's kinda the reason I've been looking into getting one of these pups... I want a pup that is just like me... And I want a really smart pup... One that takes to training easily and has enough common sense not to chase a bird off a steep cliff or something (seeing as how North Dakota has no terrain differences, I figure I'm pretty safe from this aspect. :p)

That ain't gonna work-when certain B's are focused-They're focused!!:eek:

I also wonder... What are their personalities like when it comes to obedience? Can they be trained/raised into one that observes the "golden rule" so to speak? I've always wanted a dog that would be obedient not out of fear or out of food motivation, but out of respect for its owners... I have only seen a handful of dogs actually behave this way... Is it possible with a Basenji?

Ummmm-most B's will do what you want them to-then behind your back-look out!! R E S P E C T is something for Aretha. 😃 Not for you. Most will respect you and love you to death-on their terms. Plastic is a food group, anything of yours is theirs. Golden Rules of my life.

I've only had one dog in my life that behaved this way. The pup was more of a friend or a brother to me than it was a pet. I've found that if one raises the pup from the time it is old enough to leave its mother, that the pup will learn this kind of behavior. However, it's not guaranteed, and only one or two out of a litter will have this personality... 😕

Domesticated dogs learn these things. And not through leaving their mothers early-but for the joy of wanting to please you. B's are NOT completely domesticated.:(

Also, are there any breeders or anyone in North Dakota with a small Basenji pup that needs a good home in a suburb of Bismarck, free of large tractor tires, free of traffic, and with plenty of running/roaming territory?

You may want to watch the running/roaming thing. Some B's will return, some won't. Anybody have anything else to add.:)

• Check out some of the Basenji clubs near you for a rescue… or BRAT.. Southern Wi has some rescues available. For breeders check out www.basenji.org and the breeder listings…

• Basenjis are intelligent, they are also independent. When it comes to obedience training, they do learn quickly but their independent streak means they tend to work with you when their goals coincide with yours. They are sighthounds so when they see something moving they are going to give chase and when they do they do not hear or see anything but that thing.

Basenjis do have a special relationship with their families but they are not known for blind obedience. They are clowns, mischief makers, independent, and intelligent. If you are looking for a dog that is good at traditional obedience then a basenji is probably not for you. It is often said, "Dogs come when called, basenjis take messages." You will see their ears twitch because they do hear you but are not willing to leave what they are doing if it is something of real interest to them.

• I'm not sure the dog you're looking for is a basenji 😃 😃

I've always wanted a dog that would be obedient not out of fear or out of food motivation, but out of respect for its owners… I have only seen a handful of dogs actually behave this way... Is it possible with a Basenji?

Mostly becuase of this statement :eek: :eek: Respect?? Umm yeah of course if there's something in it for the Basenji!! And almost all of them are food driven. When they ask…you want me to "Leave It" well what's in it for me??..then you answer food, toy, an old shoe!! Whatever you want just please LEAVE IT!! Yeah that sums it up..the Basenji owns you not other way around. 😃 😃 😃

One of my fav authors was quoted saying..."Basenjis do not behave like fully domesticated animals. Don't get me wrong they are amazing dogs!! I adore them, but they're much more like wild canids (wolves or coyotes) than like domestic dogs, in that they are independent animals who are happy to share their life you , as long as it's on their terms." nuff said 😃

• If you are looking for a dog to stay by your side which portrays a natural "ole faithful" feeling, then something in the retrieving or herding family may be more what you are looking for.

• I'd like to find a dog that is similar to a wild canid…

-A hunting-driven dog, not afraid to take something down if need be.
    -A protective dog, something that is loyal and will attack only if need be.
    -An intimidating dog, because I'd like people to know that the dog is the security force of the household, and will keep you from harming someone or stealing something.
    -An intelligent dog, one that knows who is doing what, and knows enough to not attack the UPS guy, just because he's not a regular visitor to the house.
    -A loyal dog, one that is a friend or brother, not a servant or slave. They realize that they are on the same level of authority as I am.
    -A trusted dog, one that won't go dashing out the door just because it's open.

This would make the Siberian Husky, Rottweiller, Neapolitan Mastiff, and others similar good candidates...

However, I don't want a dog so large. I don't have the lawn space for their massive poos. 😛

A friend of mine had a Rottweiller a number of years back that is the prime example of what I'm looking for in a dog. A brick s**thouse of a dog, willing and able to snap someone's neck at the proper command... But only at the proper command... The dog wasn't just smart, he was wise and intelligent... You could almost say he was literate... He knew what you were talking about when you were talking... Not just, "come, Thor! Get toy! Sit! Stay!"

When it comes to "blind obedience..." That's not it at all. Blind obedience and respect are two totally different things. Blind obedience is knowing only that Master is king, and he is never wrong. Respect is knowing that you and the Master are one in the same, at the same level of authority.

@Mantis:

If you are looking for a dog to stay by your side which portrays a natural "ole faithful" feeling, then something in the retrieving or herding family may be more what you are looking for.

No, that's not it either. I don't want a blind-obedient dog. I don't want "ole faithful." I want a dog that will test me as the basenji are said to do… But the running off and never coming back concerns me. It's one thing to have a blind-obedient dog... It's another to have one that shares your personality and knows you as "one of the pack, a brother, a father, a mentor, etc. etc. etc."

The basenji's "test the limits of the owner" thing with its intelligence really intrigues me, as I'm the same way with my friends and family, and even with people I don't know. I test limits myself, beit laws of physics, laws of science, laws of the city/state/country, etc. etc. Also, I'm a clown... I'll goof off and I'll pull pranks and make jokes.

It's not the obedience that worries me, it's the running off and hurting someone/something/themselves without me being able to stop them. I want my dog to be obedient, but not to the points of being either wild and untrusted off the leash, or being always at my ankles waiting for me to tell them what to do...

If I wanted a sheep, I'd get a sheep. If I wanted a wolf, I'd get a wolf and feed it the sheep. :p

I'm looking for a dog, not a sheep or wolf... I'm looking for a friend, a son, an apprentice, etc. etc. etc... I want a dog I can pick on, and that said dog will pick on me back! I want a dog that is cuddly and gentle, but will tear the throat out of something it doesn't like if I let it. On the same subject, I want a dog that isn't just gonna go ass-wild and chase someone down and hurt them (training aside, if a little kid runs from a basenji, it'll give chase, or at least that's the impression I'm getting)...

Plus, I have two cats... I don't want the dog getting that hunting urge on one of my cats while they are both in the back yard together.

Again, it's not the training that bothers me, it's the hunting urge and the chase urge I keep reading about...

• CK

• In my humble unsolicited opinion 🙂 It looks like the basenji does not meet 5 out of your 6 criteria…I would say they are a hunting dog & is very focused on it's prey but this is of course...small prey (squirrels, rabbits, birds...) and in my opinion I don't think they know when to hunt & when NOT to hunt. If you're just taking a leisurely walk they may bolt for a squirrel or rabbit! 😃

Do the research..there's lots of other type of hounds that would give you more of what you're looking for...like a Pharoah Hound or Rhodesian (they are beautiful dogs!) etc. the list goes on & on.

Have you checked out books into finding the right dog...www.dogwise.com Here's some of my favs..

I followed this book to the letter!! The Perfect Match by Chris Walkowicz and he also wrote the Choosing A Dog for Dummies

Chosing A Dog for Life by Andrew De Prisco

• @CeeKay:

A friend of mine had a Rottweiller a number of years back that is the prime example of what I'm looking for in a dog. A brick s**thouse of a dog, willing and able to snap someone's neck at the proper command… But only at the proper command... The dog wasn't just smart, he was wise and intelligent... You could almost say he was literate... He knew what you were talking about when you were talking... Not just, "come, Thor! Get toy! Sit! Stay!"

• CK

I'd say you're definitely looking at the wrong breed. You're looking for a dog that you want to be a guard dog. This breed and most breeds are not reliable enough for this and furthermore should be tested by a behaviourist and protection trainer to make sure the dog is sound enough to focus on the commands and not the act. I don't believe you know what this involves-I'm talking months and years of training to achieve this properly. If you're wondering about my credentials, I've trained numerous security canines for this purpose-so I'm not talking out of my hat.

• Are Basenjis really like the "temperament" section located here?

Yes.
    Are they really so intelligent that they "[are] not above testing the limits of its environment and owner just for sport?" and "[find] few creatures a Basenji is likely to encounter (including its owner!) that it does not believe it can outwit or outrun?" (Kinda sums myself up… )

Yes

I also wonder… What are their personalities like when it comes to obedience? Can they be trained/raised into one that observes the "golden rule" so to speak? I've always wanted a dog that would be obedient not out of fear or out of food motivation, but out of respect for its owners... I have only seen a handful of dogs actually behave this way... Is it possible with a Basenji?

No…if this is what you want, a Basenji is not for you. A Basenji that behaves the way you want to please you is about 1 in a billion.

I've only had one dog in my life that behaved this way. The pup was more of a friend or a brother to me than it was a pet. I've found that if one raises the pup from the time it is old enough to leave its mother, that the pup will learn this kind of behavior. However, it's not guaranteed, and only one or two out of a litter will have this personality… 😕

Again, if this is what you want, I think you will be very disappointed with a Basenji. Most of us who love them, love them despite the fact that they have very little interest in pleasing humans. They are all about pleasing themselves. Some are a little more biddable than others, but the best description is still "cat like"…how many cats do you know that want to please humans?A

• <<-A hunting-driven dog, not afraid to take something down if need be.
    -A protective dog, something that is loyal and will attack only if need be.
    -An intimidating dog, because I'd like people to know that the dog is the security force of the household, and will keep you from harming someone or stealing something.
    -An intelligent dog, one that knows who is doing what, and knows enough to not attack the UPS guy, just because he's not a regular visitor to the house.
    -A loyal dog, one that is a friend or brother, not a servant or slave. They realize that they are on the same level of authority as I am.
    -A trusted dog, one that won't go dashing out the door just because it's open.>>

A basenji is soooo not the dog for you. You will be disappointed. Try a Kelpie, or a Australian Cattle Dog.

Most Basenjis are HORRIBLE guard dogs…for one thing, they don't bark, of course! And secondly....if they think they are in danger...most will run behind you, or for the hills. They are primative bush dogs...would it make much sense for them to confront danger?

And door dashing? I think it has a picture of a Basenji in the dictionary for that.

Please believe us...it isn't that we don't know how to train dogs here. I do it for a living...Basenjis ARE different.....

• I agree that this is not the breed of dog that would suit you… hunting is part of this dogs makeup.. it is bred into them... so chances of them "hunting your cats" is about 90%.. at some point... Also your comment about "tearing someone's throat out" is (will in my opinon) not a good "knee jerk" reaction for any breed of dog... and pick on a Basenji.... not a good idea, you would be introducing behaviors many of us work to correct.. (the picking on you back).

I would say that NO breed of sighthound would work for your situation... many a terrier? Not that they are any more trainable, as they too were bred to do a job and it comes natural

• K, so the basenji is not for me.

Thanks guys. 🙂 I wish more people would ask questions like I have about future pets… Every so often, I'll hear of some 15 year-old girl that wants a pet snake, and then a week later after feeding it once, she decides that it's "too disgusting" (as she cleans the mouse blood off the tank walls) and gets rid of it.

People like that irk me, which is why I came here asking questions. I'd rather come here and have people tell me flat-out that this breed isn't what I'm looking for than to spend $300+ on trial and error. 🙂

Certain breeds are for certain people, and the Basenji isn't for me. 😞

I still like their attitude, though. :p

• CK

• @CeeKay:

K, so the basenji is not for me.

Thanks guys. 🙂 I wish more people would ask questions like I have about future pets… Every so often, I'll hear of some 15 year-old girl that wants a pet snake, and then a week later after feeding it once, she decides that it's "too disgusting" (as she cleans the mouse blood off the tank walls) and gets rid of it.

People like that irk me, which is why I came here asking questions. I'd rather come here and have people tell me flat-out that this breed isn't what I'm looking for than to spend $300+ on a dog that wouldn't work out anyway. 🙂

Certain breeds are for certain people, and the Basenji isn't for me. 😞

I still like their attitude, though. :p

• CK

Absolutely happy to help. I agree, knowledge is power! And, yes some dogs just aren't for some people. I LOVE Siberian Huskies….I would love to have one...but I just can't commit to keeping my home cool enough for the dog to be comfortable, and to spending enough time outside with the dog in the winter, and providing the kind of exercise that a dog like that needs...so I will never have one. But I sure love to look at them, and admire other people's 🙂

• CeeKay, if you are still coming to check this thread, may I encourage you to think about the Austrailain Cattle Dog, which someone else mentioned? The dog of my life was a Cattle Dog (NOT an Australian Sheep Dog). They have some wildness in them from dingo in the background and even look a tad like a basenji, especially the red variety, but they are truly loyal, obedient on their own just for you and not food, protective, not too large. I loved Rex and Rex loved me. He was friendly to people, but nothing could keep him from wanting to be with me at any time. He won first places in obedience trials, and I trained him without food treats or meanness, just basic kindness and firmness. He had a sense of humor, too, and loved to pick up old tires and carry them around for fun. Anyway, these little working herding dogs are very much like your list of needs for a dog friend. Hope you find the best fit soon.

That is basicly the type of dog I've always had and wanted, but I also loved the idea of a basenji, and now I have a basenji. We are still getting to know each other, but I think the people here have basenjis down to a t. 🙂

• I don't believe a Basenji is what you are looking for. My Basenji, Sahara, will bite, chase and guard my house from my cat that I have had for 18 yrs. She will try to put her mouth around my cat's neck, I have had to intervenue to keep my B from hurting her. I have underground fencing in my yard so my cat will mostly stay in my neighbors yard just beyond the line of the fence. The Basenji likes to be in charge, and they do things to please themselves, if they don't want to do something they won't. Sahara was easy to housebreak, fetch a ball, sit and stay, lay but she won't fetch or stay unless she really wants to. I can call her and she will just turn her head and look at me as if to say, "What'? Can't you see I am doing something!!!!! haha!!!!! You might want to think about a Golden Retriever, or lab.

• If you are looking for something more to guard-try a beauceron, australian cattle dog (they have a tail the australian shepherd has no tail), or a Belgian Malinois (45-60 lbs usually),or even believe it or not a boxer. These are more loyal, have the guard background, are bred more for what you are looking for.

Please don't take offense to what I said in my earlier post. I kind of get upset when people try to take a dog and do something they're not designed for.

• You may be interested in a Visla or a Pharoah hound. They are sleek, strong, ancient and short haired. They bark and can be trained like any dog. Both are medium sized but have that doberman physique in a smaller dog.

Vislas are very good if you want a dog that wont dash once you establish your rules. I dont know much about the Pharoah hound other than it is an ancient breed, nice size, and can bark.

• No offense taken. Like I said, it's the same in the reptile world… People think snakes are such cool pets, then after they feed it, it's suddenly not so cool. 😉

I was thinking I'd get a pit bull maybe. I'm one of those people who stand behind the breed. I know a few people who have pits, and they are the lovingest dogs I've ever seen! My friend's pit loves me, even though it's seen me a total of twice in its year or so that it has been alive. Also, the dog lives with a cat and a chihuahua, and they have no problems together. 🙂

Pits are outstanding companions. 🙂

I did some research on the Pharaoh Hound, and it is very similar in nature to the Basenji, without the wildness... Yet, most places I looked said that they should not be housed with cats, as they are sight/scent hounds and hunting dogs as well, same with the Basenji. Also, they "should not be trusted off the leash in an unconfined area," according to www.dogbreedinfo.com. 😕

I haven't really looked into the Viszla much, but I think I will. 🙂

Again, I thank you guys for telling me what's up. Like I said, I'd rather come here and gain some knowledge than go to a pet store and waste 300+ bucks on a dog that I'd end up giving away in the end. 😕

• CK

To bring the fun back into this post a bit… Who else agrees that cropped ears (especially super-cropped or fighting-crop) are lame? :p

• I did it once many, many years ago to a Schnauzer-never, EVER again. Poor thing cried and cried. Have never done it to my boxer's and never will-I'm glad the rules are changing in favour of not doing it!

Oh, and about the reptile thing-my daughter has had a spider (tarantuala-rose-haired mexican) for at least 10 years-she's 22 now and has always taken care of it. It's a thing for some people and for others it's not.

Suggested Topics