basenji screams when left alone

• radio helped a lot she is not destructive just screeming pooing not on nappy. thanks a lot

• @keith1101

If a basenji is left a lone for a while, put on some music......

morse.stafford@gmail.com

• don't leave a puppy alone, if you're gonna leave him put something that he can be distracted

• My rescue Basenji used to have bad separation anxiety (due to being abandoned twice) but I found that getting her a snuggle puppy has helped her greatly. I used to always play music but I never found that it was much help with my Basenji.

I currently leave my basenji in her crate when she is alone (never for longer than 3 hours I am currently in the process of completely dog proofing my room for her to roam free in) she used to scream the whole time she was alone but once I placed the snuggle puppy in her crate she began to feel much more comfortable being alone and now does not even cry when I leave. I am also sure to provide her with something to entertain her while I am gone.

My vet also recommended a pheromone room spray/collar that mimics mother dog smells to help with anxiety. I personally have not used it so I can not speak to its effectivenes.

• @binkobongo said in basenji screams when left alone:

My vet also recommended a pheromone room spray/collar that mimics mother dog smells to help with anxiety

Great. I had one plugged into a power outlet when Mku was suffering after Hoover died. Help very well indeed.

• @binkobongo said in basenji screams when left alone:

My rescue Basenji used to have bad separation anxiety (due to being abandoned twice) but I found that getting her a snuggle puppy has helped her greatly. I used to always play music but I never found that it was much help with my Basenji.

I currently leave my basenji in her crate when she is alone (never for longer than 3 hours I am currently in the process of completely dog proofing my room for her to roam free in) she used to scream the whole time she was alone but once I placed the snuggle puppy in her crate she began to feel much more comfortable being alone and now does not even cry when I leave. I am also sure to provide her with something to entertain her while I am gone.

My vet also recommended a pheromone room spray/collar that mimics mother dog smells to help with anxiety. I personally have not used it so I can not speak to its effectivenes.

I'm afraid my boy would shred that thing to pieces.. he had been noisy but not destructive when left alone but today, I had to leave for 1.5 hours and came back to utter chaos. He had tried to break out of his crate (managed to move it a couple feet) and wrecked his crate cover somehow. Yeesh. Never seen him go this nuts.

Not sure what the source of his SA would be but it's been tough to see.. I'm staying at my moms for a bit now and even when one person is home, he can have fits of panic seeing the other person go (apparently its much worse when I leave, still gets upset seeing mom go, especially when he can see her in the backyard).

Really would like to get him more comfortable 😞

• Try Adaptil plug in -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0038XBOJC/

is what I had for Mku when Hoover died. It worked wonders. He was calmed and settled. If not this exact one, then try others, there are lots on Amazon.

• Hello. My girl would howl from the second we left her. Get a Wyze camera so you can watch her. CBD worked wonders for the separation anxiety, it takes the edge off so they can relax. Eventually she just got used to us leaving.

• @yahtzee92 said in basenji screams when left alone:

especially when he can see her in the backyard).

Presuming that the yard is enclosed/fenced, why not have him outside with her?

• @elbrant said in basenji screams when left alone:

@yahtzee92 said in basenji screams when left alone:

especially when he can see her in the backyard).

Presuming that the yard is enclosed/fenced, why not have him outside with her?

Because you are presuming incorrectly! That said, he has gotten much less anxious as he is more used to the house and people going in/out.

Neighbors did finally put a fence up in back though (new houses got built very close to ours).. now I'm looking for something to block off the part of the yard that is exposed between the garage and house. Hard to find something that stands out or, mainly, taller than 3 feet

Suggested Topics