A few pink areas plus paw licking: allergies?

• @zande said in A few pink areas plus paw licking: allergies?:

You are so lucky ! There is no way I could afford to feed the pack on it when we had 8. I might manage now, with only two, but have found alternatives

It's 40 pounds for $20. Might be able to get 50 pounds for close to the same price. The problem is 40 pounds would last far too long and go stale, so I end up getting four bags of 4 pounds for a slightly higher price. Less for more!

@tanza said in A few pink areas plus paw licking: allergies?:

@donc - All Purina foods contain corn or corn/beet pulp filler... I have used grain free along with Natural Balance limited ingredients... among others for all my Basenjis and also raising our litters.

Have never seen a problem with corn. On the other hand a lot of seasonal allergies. The two things which seem to work are the cytopoint shots and washing their paws off after walks.

We do use Natural Balance and Zignature, mostly because they work well with some of the training tools/toys better than anything else. For toys that need a round kibble, Vitasse seems to work well. I know some people who have very exotic diets and wouldn't use any of these.

• @donc said in A few pink areas plus paw licking: allergies?:

We do use Natural Balance and Zignature, mostly because they work well with some of the training tools/toys better than anything else. For toys that need a round kibble, Vitasse seems to work well. I know some people who have very exotic diets and wouldn't use any of these.

We use Zignature as well. It's a 50/50 mix of two different products. As far as I can tell no grain, corn or soy in either product. For training I've been using Primal Treats - Buffalo Liver Snaps. I have others, but I prefer these and so do the pups!

• Milk bones?
    I know of a group of Basenjis that are totally allergic to them.
    Miss Bliss will take one then spit it out so , no worries there.
    For kibble she eats Purina Pro plan as recommended by the breeder.
    When she first arrived I switched her(gradually) to Acana.
    She became lethargic and her coat lost colour and sheen.
    Was advised by a vet to get her off.
    I did, and not gradually. Within a couple of weeks her energy was back and her coat was better. No more messing around with fancy food.
    She gets her diet supplemented with raw meet and eggs.

• Binti, my female, started getting pink tummy and paws with lots of licking. Our wonderful Basenji-saavy vet suspected allergies and prescribed Apoquel. That did the trick. Since it was only her tummy and paws, I suspected she was coming in contact with the offending material when she squatted to pee. Now I wipe her tummy and paws off when she comes in, and she has come to love the extra grooming. Especially since I give her a little paw massage with each foot. No recurrences since...fingers and paws crossed.

• @jengosmonkey said in A few pink areas plus paw licking: allergies?:

We use Zignature as well. It's a 50/50 mix of two different products. As far as I can tell no grain, corn or soy in either product. For training I've been using Primal Treats - Buffalo Liver Snaps. I have others, but I prefer these and so do the pups!

Thanks for that. I had no idea that it was a mix, just that the ingredients looked OK and it was the right size. LOL

• @jengosmonkey - Do you use the Zignature limited ingredients? I looked at the Turkey one I don't see a mix 50/50? Or are you using the Multi-Protein? And are the kibble pieces small (small bites) like you can get with Natural Balance? As I said before I change up food all the time and then I never have a problem with changing foods. When I was on the road lots it became necessary to be able to stop and get food if we ran out.... not all the store carry all the same foods. Lucky that Natural Balance limited ingredients is usually available at all pet stores. Of course since I feed veggies/fruits/meats I can always go to the store and buy fresh. Never had an issue with food changes. Never mind the question on small bites, I see that they have this

• @donc said in A few pink areas plus paw licking: allergies?:

@jengosmonkey said in A few pink areas plus paw licking: allergies?:

Thanks for that. I had no idea that it was a mix, just that the ingredients looked OK and it was the right size. LOL

Hey Don, I should have been more clear. We use Zignature Essense Ranch and Meadow (85% Animal Protein Ingredients) AND Zignature Zssential Formula - Multi Protein Formula (has more vegies than the other product). The mix is a 50/50 blend of both products. This mix gets added to other things like raw organic ground beef, cooked eggs, freeze dried meat patties, canned pumpkin, coconut oil, vegetables, and a few supplements. We weigh them weekly, keep a log, and make dietary adjustments as needed. So far I've found that adjusting the amount of kibble seems to have the most impact on weight gain or loss.

Logan wants to be a cook when he grows up, so he's always in the kitchen when I am, paws on the counter trying to walk himself between me and the edge of the countertop. ALWAYS. He'd be huge if I didn't practice self control. That said, I do slip in a counter snack here and there from time to time. He's just so dang cute AND persistent.

• @tanza Hey Pat, So sorry. I completely missed your post! See above for the mixed blend ingredients. Yes, the kibble is small. I can't get these kibbles anywhere locally, so I have to order online. Never been an issue. Fast delivery like within about 2 days. The snacks I like sometimes seem to take forever to get here though.

• Just because the breeder's other litters didn't show signs of allergies doesn't mean yours won't have an allergy to the corn. Dogs like people are individuals and allergies aren't necessarily genetically passed along. But as someone mentioned, a lot of allergies are environmental. But it is important to "test" to find out - make detailed notes on when the hot spots become most irritating; is it right after the dog has been outside after a rain where soil molds become an issue; are there certain blankets or crate pads that cause an issue; and don't forget to run a food test eliminating corn, as it might not be the corn but some other ingredient.

Suggested Topics