• 0_1614560118377_9EFD2AEF-09A5-41D8-97F5-CAC95A62FC03.jpeg

Happy to find a forum for Basenjis as we are new to the breed and now proud owners of a 9 week old male Basenji named Charlie. He is full of energy and spends his days napping, chewing, running, and let me say chewing again because everything is a chew toy right now.

His first night home was rough, but he has taken to the crate and is working on potty training and learning his name.

We look forward to reading ideas here on how to raise a Basenji.

• @macattack and Charlie, WELCOME!!! What a cute lil' dude! Pretty soon he's gonna be chewin' up ALL yer best stuff. I'm tellin' ya. Look around. He may be fine though. It's been a while since I've had a pup, but I've always used redirection. When ya see him chewin' up somethin' he shouldn't, walk up and gently get his attention. Talk to him. Yer his human. He loves ya. Ya feed him and make him happy. He loves yer voice. With yer left hand show him a fun fun toy he CAN chew on and make it as fun as ya can! With yer right hand, reach around 'im and slip the thing away that ya don't want him chewin' on. Kinda hard though if he's chewin' on yer couch. 🤣 Haha. You got a Basenji! 🤣

Ya could try Sour Apple. You can get it online. We use it. Another possibility is... the dreaded squirt bottle. 😲 Many Basenjis hate water. My first go to is always redirection though.

Charlie is awesome! He has a sleeve and a sock.

• @jengosmonkey
    Thank you so much for the advice regarding chewing redirection. Will definitely try those techniques with Charlie.

The sock and sleeve we thought were pretty cute and matched my husband’s habit of walking around the house with 1 sock on 🥰.

• Oh MY ! What big ears you have ! But never mind, you will grow into them, Charlie.

Who are you, who are Mom and Dad ? Someone so handsome ought to be in the Basenji on-line pedigree database - so many of us might even have relatives - so please, tell us your details ?

• @macattack
    What a cutie! Love the Markings on his nose! He is adorable!🐾🥰

• Adorable pup

• Congratulations, what a handsome pup. I enjoyed hearing about your first night. Getting my pup in 4 days.

• Charlie is adorable! A charming looking little fellow. Where do you keep the crate at night? He will adjust quicker if it is close to you in the bedroom. As far as the chewing goes, all pups chew. Now is the time to let him know what is "legal" to chomp on and what is off limits. When he grabs the wrong thing, say "no", take it away, substitute with something you want him to chew. Diligence now will pay dividends later. And be consistent! Have fun. They grow up so fast.

• Bully sticks, bully sticks, bully sticks saved me during Trigger’s puppy chewing. At this young age they really aren’t swallowing much just chewing. I also used a long alligator type chew toy to keep him distracted while walking to save my feet.

• Sooo very handsome! Hold on and get ready for adventure.

• That is such a cute picture! What a sweetie. What's with that nose? Love the coloring. LOL

Not sure where you are. We got our second Basenji in Conroe Texas.

One quick tip since you mentioned a rough first night, not sure you're doing this but keep him in your room. If you're not doing that I think you'll have much better results if you do.

• @zande

I am sure he has plenty of relatives across the US as the breeder mentioned some pups were going to OH, MN, and I think LA.

His Dad is Mojo Mean Bean and Mom is Freeman’s Reddy To Go. We are in the process of registering him soon.

• @melaniefnp

Congrats and gl! Can’t wait to see a pic.

• Thank you all for the great advice. Charlie’s crate is right next to our bed and that definitely helped the past few nights. He does wake up every 2-3 hours (last night it was 6 hours 🎉), but our biggest challenge now is separation. He wants someone playing with him the entire time he is awake which is ok now, but afraid that will just create issues later.

• @macattack said in New Basenji owner from Texas!:

He does wake up every 2-3 hours (last night it was 6 hours 🎉), but our biggest challenge now is separation. He wants someone playing with him the entire time he is awake which is ok now, but afraid that will just create issues later.

At nine weeks I'd expect he'd be wanting to play 20 hours a day. LOL If he was with his litter they'd be going at it pretty constantly. Don't worry about later. This is totally natural and he will just grow out of it ... but it's going to take a couple of months at least. FWIW cardboard boxes make the best toys. They're cheap, always available, fun for the pup to explore with, and make great chew toys.

Wouldn't surprise me if he started sleeping for six hours more consistently. But he will no doubt get up if you do, no matter how quiet you try to be! Enjoy the chaos. It doesn't last all that long.

Please do take the time and register him at Zande's database. It's a fantastic resource. Plus you have this oh-so-cute pic.

• My adult 8 year female still like to play with and destroy the cardboard paper towel roles. She throws it around and then likes to shred it. Whee in Texas? I am in Killeen and love to find another Basenji owner close where we could meet occassionly and let our Basenjis play.

• @macattack said in New Basenji owner from Texas!:

His Dad is Mojo Mean Bean and Mom is Freeman’s Reddy To Go

Dad (possibly Mojo Dean Bean ?) has tested clear/normal for Fanconi. Mom doesn't appear to have been tested at all. So maybe you should get Charlie checked by OFA ?

Do be sure to let me know his registered name and date of birth so I can add him to the database. Such a handsome young man !

• Please go to www.basenji.org and read about health concerns and how to get the DNA test for Fanconi and PRA. Both are cheek swabs that you order and do yourself. Typically this is done by the breeder on the sire and dam before breeding as both of these are late onset affilications.

• @macattack - As I am sure that it has been said, but anything within reach "belongs to the Basenji or any puppy of any breed for that matter"... they do not know or will never know what might belong to you and not them. And anything with your scent on it will bring a puppy to it...period. If important to you, put out of reach... including things like wires, glasses, TV remote, etc. While with age they will "sometimes" grow out of it... but I can tell you that I have lost many pairs of glasses as the ear pieces with your scent is a total goner... or things like your underwear, socks, shoes.... and many more. For example if you put within reach two bones, one is for the pup and one is for you... how would you expect the puppy to know what is theirs and what is yours?

• @tanza

Oh definitely! We have an 8 year old dog (mixed breed rescue who has been a joy) and after my daughter lost a brand new pair of shoes to her, we learned our lesson that anything is fair game. She grew out of it, but I can already see a stubborn streak in Charlie so only time will tell. For now, we have Charlie-proofed spaces (though he makes us aware when we missed puppy proofing).

Suggested Topics