• Please remember all to test your Basenjis monthly for Fanconi.. it is simple (well once your Basenji gets the hang of you peering under them with a strip for them to pee on… :rolleyes: )

Please visit www.basenji.org and then to Health information, then Fanconi… the strips can be purchased at the Pharmacy.. you want the urine test strips looking for sugar in the Urine... and since they only last (expire) for about 6 months, it doesn't hurt (in fact many recommend it) to do a couple of days in a row... The quicker that you catch Fanconi, the better chance you have of controlling it on the Protocol.

I also suggest everyone print out the protocol and give it to your Vet... if your Vet has questions, he/she can speak to Dr. Gonto directly... and my honest opinion, if your Vet "discounts" the protocol, I would look for another Vet...

• Great reminder Tanza! As awful as it is to watch the strip change color, or as relieved as you feel when it doesn't, catching Fanconi early is SO important! My Stormie has been on Dr. Gonto's Protocol for a week now, and is doing very well with taking his medicine. Had it not been for strip testing, I wouldn't be as ahead of the game as I am now with Storm - he's not showing any Fanconi symptoms, but he is spilling sugar. Thank heaven's I was testing and caught it early!
    And you're right - having a good, supportive vet is imperative. I feel very fortunate in that regard.

• At what age do you start testing?

• I believe the recommended age for beginning testing is 3 years, luzmery.

• thanks, Champ is still too young but I will def. do this when it's time.

• Hey everyone… while 3 is the suggested normal to start.. I do know a Basenjis (well more then one) that started spilling at just over 2yrs... so I start now at 2... and again, remember especially if you only have one.. the strip usually expire in 6 months and usually 50 to package.. so nothing wrong with doing the testing a couple/three days in a row each month...

Or here is another idea... those of you that live close can share the strips... Split one bottle between two or three of you.. helps to make sure they are not going to waste...

While I am really sorry that Stormie has Fanconi, I am so very happy that you did catch it early and that he is doing well on the protocol... makes all the difference.... did you join the Fanconi list? Remember, we are all pulling for Stormie... and we are here to lean on if you need us!!!!...

• We were told to start testing at 2 yrs. Thanks for the reminder; Jazz IS 2 and I'd forgotten.

well, not forgotten, but kept thinking I have time.

• Thanks Tanza!

I can't wait to see how Corky reacts to me bending over him while he's peeing. I'll let you guys know how it goes. 😉

I think this thread is sticky worthy. 🙂

• It is that time again, please remember all to strip test your Basenjis for Fanconi!

• Thanks, I was just going to post to see when and how often one needs to test for Fanconi. I didn't realize it starts at age 2 or 3 for testing. Zuri is in for surgery today (spay) and they tested her urine last week before surgery but I guess it wasn't required at this early stage. (Zuri is 6 months)

Love this forum!
    Brenda

• @cleopatra:

Thanks, I was just going to post to see when and how often one needs to test for Fanconi. I didn't realize it starts at age 2 or 3 for testing. Zuri is in for surgery today (spay) and they tested her urine last week before surgery but I guess it wasn't required at this early stage. (Zuri is 6 months)

Love this forum!
    Brenda

It can never hurt… but yes, 6 months is too early for them to show signs of Fanconi...

• Especially when basenjis are younger - stripping them often and at different times of the month is good - that way you can see if something is going on. I had some folks who started stripping at 5 and at about 7 the dog was symptomatic but they had never turned strips - turns out that when they stripped the dog for a couple weeks every day - the strip would turn colors only SOME of the time. So essentially the dog was probably spilling earlier but doing it once a month - they missed when he was spilling.

So use up those strips!

• @dmcarty:

Especially when basenjis are younger - stripping them often and at different times of the month is good - that way you can see if something is going on. I had some folks who started stripping at 5 and at about 7 the dog was symptomatic but they had never turned strips - turns out that when they stripped the dog for a couple weeks every day - the strip would turn colors only SOME of the time. So essentially the dog was probably spilling earlier but doing it once a month - they missed when he was spilling.

So use up those strips!

Exactly right… I think the best way to do it is 3 to 4 days in a row... each month... because when they first start to spill sugar in the urine, they don't always show every day.... I remember that Parry's Jaadii did that... one day would spill, next two not... then the 4th he would...

Suggested Topics