AKC National Championship today

• The AKC National Championship is being broadcast today. I watched the Hound Group. They split the Group in half and the Basenji was in Group 2. A really beautiful Tri male. His name was displayed as GCHS CH Dark Moon's Black Tri Affair. I looked him up and I think his other name is Zoro. I don't want to violate any Copyrights, so rather than copy and paste a picture here, click this link which will take you to the Lehigh Valley Kennel Club site where they have a great picture of him.

Looks like the breeder is Veronica Nagy and you can see more about Zoro here.

Congratulations Zoro and Veronica! I think the Basenji should have won Best in Show. I smell a plot! 😄

• @jengosmonkey
    A gorgeous Basenji!

• Absolutely!

• I believe he is the #1 Basenji for 2020. He also got BOB at the National in 2019. He is a very nice Basenji and very deserved....

• And Best in Show was a whippet "Bourbon" - it doesn't happen very often that a hound breed wins BIS
    www.akc.org/expert-advice/news/whippet-bourbon-wins-best-in-show-2020-national-championship/

• @jengosmonkey - He was group 4 the other year at Westminster, he is a lovely Tri boy

• @jengosmonkey excellent representation of the breed.

• @tanza Ya know it's funny. I don't think I ever paid any attention to Tris before getting Logan. Jengo was a Chestnut. Good-Bye M'Lady was Chestnut. I just kind of figured Chestnuts were the bomb. Why would anyone get anything else?

When I picked up Logan and had a chance to see a Tri up close ( his momma, Zayna), the color combination was just stunning. Then I began searching @Zande's site and could see MANY tris in his line. Zayna, Trianna, Jeweliet, Klassic Architecture, Geena, and Magic Moment. I've come to really appreciate them and how stunning they are.

No matter how you cut it, Black Tri Affair, Zoro, is a Champ.I hope Veronica has a big house. She's gonna need a lot of space for all the trophies, ribbons, plaques and other awards he's going to earn. 😄 👍

• @JENGOSMonkey Good Bye M'Lady was actually about 6 different dogs, all with slightly different markings, provided I always understood, by John Crice Rich.

But I agree, a good tri can be stunning.

• @zande said in AKC National Championship today:

@JENGOSMonkey Good Bye M'Lady was actually about 6 different dogs, all with slightly different markings, provided I always understood, by John Crice Rich.

But I agree, a good tri can be stunning.

If we are referencing the movie, "Goodbye My Lady", then the dog, My Lady of the Congo, was provided by Veronica Tudor-Williams, who also provided 4 others as doubles, including Lady's littermate, My Lord of the Congo. Or is there some other movie out there that I don't know about?

Some fascinating history here about "of the Congo" dogs, including Lady....

• @eeeefarm Veronica didn't provide the dogs, John did !

I assume @JENGOSMonkey meant the movie Goodbye My Lady but can't see to type on my phone !

@eeeefarm Veronica didn't provide the dogs, John did !

I assume @JENGOSMonkey meant the movie Goodbye My Lady but can't see to type on my phone !

I can't find anything about John, but I assume he was the middleman in this? My reason for thinking it was Veronica can be found here .

• @eeeefarm Your links don't lead anywhere -

@eeeefarm Your links don't lead anywhere -

They lead to .pdf files, which may not display in your browser but should download to display in whatever app you have that opens them. I can quote from the one that is titled "The inside story of Goodbye, My Lady by Veronica Tudor-Williams"

" their problem was the great difficulty in finding the ideal Basenji to fill the title role of the film. Finally, through the kindness of Marlise, Basenji breeders in Massachusetts, a long distance call was put through from Hollywood, California, to Molesey, England (at 2 a.m. English time) and it was arranged that my best six month-old bitch puppy, subsequently registered as my Lady of the Congo, should be supplied........My Lady was duly flown to Hollywood, to Warner Bros. Studios, and was received with unstinted praise. Then another 2 a.m. call was made to Molesey, asking for four doubles for My Lady. No suitable bitch puppies were available, so the situation was explained and four dog puppies were offered as the only alternative. They did not seem very suitable as a double for a lady, but it seemed to present no difficulties, so four young dogs were flown out to join My Lady, including her litter brother, My Lord of the Congo."

• @eeeefarm Oh that - yes, I've read that too. (but no, clicking on the links at my end didn't take me anywhere). I have always heard that, even if Story Book Basenjis were not actually used, they were dogs from USA, provided by John Crice Rich.

Looking through the Breed Record Supplements, there isn't a record of VTW sending four at once. And in another piece of her writing, she gives a graphic account of taking two Basenjis to the premier of the movie. I have it somewhere - she names the two dogs but I forget off-hand who they were.

My Lady otC, bred by Mr E.A. Collis, was granted an export pedigree in 1957. This was typical of VTW. She would buy in whole litters and put her affix on them. My own Lovebird of the Congo (Lady), my foundation bitch purchased from VTW, was actually bred by S.F. Guest.

The BRS - of which I have a complete series going back to 1938 - is a fascinating history of Basenji movements. For example, VTW always claimed never to have exported a Basenji to USA but that it had a 3 generation certified pedigree. But BRS shows at least 11 went to America with only 2 generation pedigrees.

Kito is curled up on my feet. He was hoping to come on my lap as he did yesterday afternoon while I worked on the database but he wasn't much of a help. It's bad enough having to type one-eyed without a puppy trying to play on the keyboard. 😍

• The article about Good Bye M'Lady was great. As well as the other. I don't know... that movie just really resonates with me. I'd love it even if it wasn't a Basenji.

Back to the AKC show... I was really happy to see a Tri in the mix. Like I said, I never really paid much attention to them until recently. Never paid much attention to Brindles or Trindles till I started coming here all the time. Zaki got me hooked on Brindles.

Thinking out loud... I'd made a comment months back regarding the Basenji standard and who came up with it. Not as an accusatory question, but more for trying to understand how we got here. When I look at pictures of Basenjis that are in the Congo... they look feral. The colors, the ears, the size, all of it is all over the map. I kinda dig that. Then, when I look at ours, at least in the US, I can see that show dogs have a lot in common, if not color.

One thing that helped me understand how we got here was a YouTube Video that featured Carol Web. I learned of her from my breeder. Carol did a great job of explaining the how and why Basenji breeders have taken the breed in the direction they have. And, I agree with that direction.

When I look at the colors... Chestnut (red and white), Black and White, Tri, Brindle and Trindle... the color combos at first glance seem very uniform, but the more I've looked at them the more I'm able to find the differences between individuals, which is really fun. There are some things I personally like... like breaks in color, spots and things like that. I've developed a much greater appreciation for head and body shape too thanks to knowledgeable people helping me to see them.

Our Basenjis are not the same as the Basenjis in the Congo anymore. Ours have become Basenjis that work for us temperament wise, and are bred keeping in mind how we live and interact with them as Carol pointed out in the video. I get that now. Add health testing and caution against too much interbreeding and... I think it works for our Basenjis. I've leaned so much from my breeder and from folks here.

As an owner the question I hear most is "What kind of dog is that?" No one knows what a Basenji is, or they might have have heard the name, but have never seen one in person. They seem to universally love the way they look, but don't know much. That was me even when Jengo was alive. I wonder if people even consider that there are other color patterns other than Chestnut? I really didn't. Seeing Dark Moon's Black Tri Affair in a National AKC show sure helps that, I think.

One last thing... I went back to @Zande's site and looked up Sparkle, our female. Her mom was a gorgeous Tri. I also found a Brindle and a Black and White in her line as well. Pretty cool!

• I am not sure that I agree that humans are taking the Basenji in the right direction @JENGOSMonkey.

Heads for example. Basenjis are becoming longer in the foreface with pointed noses, no cushion and very little side wrinkle. Judging around the place - Russia, Australia, Scandinavia, Estonia, Germany, Czech Republic to name some, I have often surprised myself by putting up brindles although not caring for the colour.

When I did the German specialty, my BIS was a brindle from Norway and BOS a brindle from the Czech Republic. They had proper, if you like, old fashioned, Basenji heads (and apart from that, also true Basenji gait !) and I finally figured it out. . . .

Humans had had fewer generations to muck about with the natives brought back from Africa and so they retained much of what now we are losing. Sadly from brindles too.

btw @JENGOSMonkey , if you message me your email address I will send you some pieces you might be interested in.

I am getting my Covid jab tomorrow and the second eye (at my own expense but I have no choice. Insurance won't pay at a different hospital) on Friday. So don't expect anything too soon !

They had proper, if you like, old fashioned, Basenji heads (and apart from that, also true Basenji gait !) and I finally figured it out. . . .

Humans had had fewer generations to muck about with the natives brought back from Africa and so they retained much of what now we are losing.

Unfortunately once you start breeding to remove certain traits and accentuate others, you often end up losing something desirable or introducing unforeseen problems. Anyone who has dabbled in computer programming knows that a little seemingly innocuous tweak can cause unexpected results, and it is the same when you mess with genetics. The Russian Fox experiments are an extreme example. Breeding for better temperaments caused physical changes in the foxes.

There are valid reasons why sheepdog people did not want Border Collies to be recognized for show by the AKC and CKC. These dogs were always bred for performance, not pretty. You can lose a lot by emphasizing what the judges will put up in the show ring.

I am getting my Covid jab tomorrow and the second eye (at my own expense but I have no choice. Insurance won't pay at a different hospital) on Friday. So don't expect anything too soon !

Sincerely hope both worked out for you.

@eeeefarm said in AKC National Championship today:

Unfortunately once you start breeding to remove certain traits and accentuate others, you often end up losing something desirable or introducing unforeseen problems.
    You can lose a lot by emphasizing what the judges will put up in the show ring.

Amen. Amazing that such an obvious point is almost universally missed.

• @jengosmonkey - The Tri in the video that you posted is the sire of our 2019 litter. GCHS AM Ch Astarte's Sir Tristan With Pips At Kazor x AM Ch Klassic's Joy Ride To Tanza-Jamaa. Since both Tristan and Joy are Tri's the pups were all Tri. This was the 2nd all Tri litter that I have had! Love those Tri Basenjis.... You can find pictures on my website, link below

Suggested Topics