• @jengosmonkey said in Rescue dog prey drive!:

I'm determined to prove she's not smarter than me.

Good luck!!!!!

• @tanza said in Rescue dog prey drive!:

... One time many years ago at an indoor show, there was a person that had a "pet" squirrel in a crate... this critter got loose and ran through all 9 indoor rings.... and you could say "no" to your were blue in the face, they wanted that critter... and honestly that was for all breeds, not just Basenjis...

šŸ¤£
    Did the squirrel survive its suicide escapade?!!!?
    What owner thought that was a splendid idea to bring a squirrel to a dog show? What fear the critter may have felt the whole time in its crate.
    Still... šŸ¤£ for the imagined chases!

• @helle-devi said in Rescue dog prey drive!:

@tanza said in Rescue dog prey drive!:

... One time many years ago at an indoor show, there was a person that had a "pet" squirrel in a crate... this critter got loose and ran through all 9 indoor rings.... and you could say "no" to your were blue in the face, they wanted that critter... and honestly that was for all breeds, not just Basenjis...

šŸ¤£
    Did the squirrel survive its suicide escapade?!!!?
    What owner thought that was a splendid idea to bring a squirrel to a dog show? What fear the critter may have felt the whole time in its crate.
    Still... šŸ¤£ for the imagined chases!

Yes it did... lucky for the squirrel that all the dogs were on leads in the ring...

• @donc The Basenji is alert, energetic, curious and reserved with strangers. The Basenji tends to become emotionally attached to a single human. Basenjis may not get along with non-canine pets. Basenjis dislike wet weather, much like cats, and will often refuse to go outside in any sort of damp conditions. They like to climb, and can easily scale chain wire/link fences.

Basenjis often stand on their hind legs, somewhat like a meerkat, by themselves or leaning on something; this behavior is often observed when the dog is curious about something. Basenjis have a strong prey drive. According to the book The Intelligence of Dogs, they are the second least trainable dog, when required to do human commands (behind only the Afghan Hound). Their real intelligence manifests when they are required to actually "think".

Basenjis are highly prey driven and will go after cats and other small animals.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basenji

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• @kittenishkat said in Rescue dog prey drive!:

Basenjis often stand on their hind legs, somewhat like a meerkat

Mku can stand on his hind legs longer than any Basenji I have ever had barring Firbi. He could stand for a long time, no support of any kind.

All mine have learned to 'catch' treats thrown. Anything that fell to the floor would be grabbed by someone else so they all taught themselves not to let that happen. Feeding them green beans was like dropping green worms into the mouths of a nest of young sparrows. Up to eight Basenjis dancing around on their hind legs shouting ME, ME, I want one too !

I have never noticed them doing it when curious about something. Only when feed was on offer.

• I think itā€™s safe to say, that the information out there about the breed is true but with plenty of attention and consistency they can be trained. My dogs can do tricks too but they have moments where I would toss a ball to play with them and I get a ā€œ you go get itā€ look. They are defiant when they wan to be.

Itā€™s amazing the things they can do. Standing on hind legs and jumping as high as they do. They are so agile. They have a great sense of humor too. I taught my female to high five alternating paws if I changed my hands.

Do you get the ā€œI want attentionā€ stares?

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

Suggested Topics