• @donc She had bloodwork before her dental and everything was fine. We let her go because of her age - she was almost 14, and at the time, and now, it was best for her and us.

• @rugosab I read your post early this morning... every word. Then again about mid day. And, again this evening. I wish I could fix this for you. I wish I could say something to heal your heart. I know what this feels like. I do.

I will say that I deeply respect your decision about another pup. I get that too. I have a close friend struggling with the same decision you've made right now. She lost her favorite Basenji yesterday. I'll do my best to post pictures and stories now and again so that you can continue to enjoy this incredibly special breed.

• You did absolutely the right thing. It is never good or even kind to prolong life with possibly painful treatments for the Basenji just because parting would be painful for us. You let her go with dignity and to avoid further suffering.

Take comfort from that and your wonderful memories of her and all the other Basenjis you have been privileged to share your life with.

Hugs

• I'm so sorry @RugosaB ! Nothing I can say will bring the comfort that I wish for you. Your loss has convinced me that I will become a 2 Basenji household as soon as it is practical. The thought of not having a Basenji at home is more than I can imagine. (sob)

• I am so sorry. I wish you well as you adapt. I understand not having another special someone in your life. I know for them the bond is lifelong and for me it is also.

• I am so sorry for your loss. I know your girl had a good life with you.

• @rugosab - As all of your Basenjis have had wonderful lives with you.. I remember many times we talked... and miss you... hugs

• Hi, I’ve just read your story and am so saddened by your loss, my sincere condolences. Thank you for sharing and my thoughts are with you❤

• Very sorry for your loss. She's loved and you had great times with her. Our thoughts and hearts are with you.

• I'm so sorry for your loss -- I've had my lil' guy for only 1.5 years now, and on the rare occasion I'm away from him for a day or two, I still flinch and react as if he were there. I can only hope to have as long a run as you had - it sounded so fun and rewarding! My deepest condolences.

• I know it's been over a week since I posted, but I remember one thing about her I didn't add ( and obviously I was thinking about her):
    When she wanted attention, she would HIT, usually just once, unless that didn't work, so she kept hitting until it did. It was really a light tap, but we called it 'being hit by Freida!"

• @rugosab - Our C-Me does that as does Franie.... It's like "hey pay attention... I am here"!

Suggested Topics