• Does anyone know how to keep , their basenji from chewing everything you put in the kennel and sometimes outside the kennel, My Izzy chewed every bed I have gotten him so I've tried just blankets, and he shreds them, I am running out of old blankets to put in his kennel to sleep on. It isn't because he is locked in there, he goes in there on his own and starts ripping away. All of his blankets look like swiss cheese. He is not a puppy , he is going on eight yrs. I thought by now he would have slowed down. I see pictures of other basenji's on here with there nice little beds. Help!! PS. he has never chewed the furniture , Thank goodness

• Usually they chew their bedding up when they are locked in, so this is a new one on me. I ended up bedding mine on newspaper, when I got tired of throwing out ripped bedding, but mine graduated from crates very quickly and basically were never in one past the puppy stage or early on when I adopted an adult. If he has done this for a long time I doubt you will change his habits. Does he do this during the day or at night? Mine have generally slept in my bed at night, and never, ever ripped up any bedding there....

• @isabob said in Chewing:

All of his blankets look like swiss cheese.

Try giving Izzy more exercise. The shredding is pent up energy and anxiety. The more exercise doodle gets, the safer my bed linens are!

• Probably getting her something safe to chew would work. You didn't mention how old he is. Puppies chew everything. It's just a thing. I have an adult female who chews holes in blankets but that's in search of the "goodness" left behind by other dogs chewing. Otherwise I've never seen this.

However we try and make sure there are approved things to chew available.

• In addition to more exercise, try more mental stimulation. Teach more words/commands. Play more games like hide and seek (check out scent training). Get some puzzle toys. You could try giving him a box with newspaper or plain paper trash to shred, redirecting him to the shredding box every single time he starts to shred. There are a few (less cozy) heavy duty dog beds that you can try while working on retraining. It will take a lot of diligence and consistency to get it done since he is so mature and set in his ways, but it is possible.

• When I give treats I hide them and tell my girl to go find them sometimes she will see them other times I hide them under something to make her sniff them out. More exercise and a spray bottle with water and a touch of Vinegar in it make my girl stop and look at me.

• He has chew toys he uses occasionally, he just doesn't want to give up his blanket. I guess I shouldn't complain, he has never chewed our bedding up only his own. I have a Mix that also shreds her blankets but strange thing she hasn't ever chewed up the small blanket the rescue lady sent with her 2 years ago when we got her. You think she is trying to tell me something 🙂

• My 1 year is a terrible chewer. He immediately chews any toy to pieces...but hates all rubber and nylon toys. Loves any form of paper to chew and shred, but also eats it. Shreads cloth and blankets and bedding. I have bought nice dog beds and the anti-anxiety beds, and the are torn apart. He no longer likes to play fetch and doesn't really like to play with his toys any more unless he can chew or tear them apart. We do walks a day...he no longer wants to chase his frizbee. He doesn't do obedience commands either...sit. lay down, and they were staples for boredom. Now he hates his tugs. What does he want to do...chew on me and drive me crazy. I see you talking about a paper box. I am afraid to have him shred paper because he chews and appears to eat it. Is that OK?

• Excessive chewing needs to be brought under control, IMO. It's particularly not good if they are ingesting what they are chewing, which can lead to trouble and vet bills. Yes, it is hard to control chewing done when you are not present, e.g. chewing up their bedding, but I would actively discourage the chewing of things not designed to be chewed when you can. Remove the object and replace with something "legal". None of mine has been a real problem in this area, and my last boy, Perry, was taught by his breeder not to chew and never did. All his plush toys remain undamaged, although he was happy to carry them around or retrieve them to me by name.

A dog may chew because it has become habitual, but I would want to check his teeth if the chewing is excessive....

Suggested Topics