I'm looking for a reputable breeder in Norcal Or just in the US in general

• This post is deleted!

• Go to www.basenji.org and you can search for breeders by state. Since Basenjis are typically only born Nov/Dec/Jan time frames most all responsible breeders have full reservation lists especially on the West Coast. This would be a good time to contact a breeder for next years Fall possible litters. You will also find that some breeders will not ship puppies and unless coming this way will not drive to a location. I do not ship, I require people to come to our home for their pup. Be sure to research breeders and also verify health testing. DNA tests for Fanconi and PRA are public at www.ofa.org and I highly suggest that you always check this out for yourself. I always encourage people to check this out for themselves even for my pups when we are breeding. Here is also a link to "vet" for responsible breeders, questions to ask... and responsible answers from breeders. Many no so responsible breeders will only care about your money, take it and ship to wherever. Responsible breeders have contracts that will include that if that pup ever needs to be placed that pup will go back to the breeder. You will not find that is the case with many people that you will find on line. https://basenji.org/index.php/about-basenjis/screen-breeders

• @tanza Thanks for all the information. Just wondering but are you planning to have a litter next fall? And if you are, is there anyway I can get on your waitlist for that?

• @kodiakh said in I'm looking for a reputable breeder in Norcal Or just in the US in general:

as long as they can ship our dog to Sacramento or drive them here

Is there a reason you cannot travel to pick up the puppy?

Generally speaking, it is usually a good idea to meet the breeder and at least get a chance for a casual visual inspection of the premises. It's also makes more sense to select a pup based on it's response to you, rather than the way it looks in a picture. There are a lot of advantages to going to pick up the puppy yourself.

• @kodiakh - Thanks and right now we are not expecting to breed a litter in 2021. We may change our minds, but right now that would be a no.

• @elbrant - Note that responsible breeders will "pick" the pup that best suits the potential home, not the other way around. So while I require a visit by possible puppy owners, breeders will still try to place the best pup that fits the home... not the possible owners to pick one... And I do agree it is best for the breeder to meet people in person and not just pick a pup by a picture... especially for a first time Basenji owner... Sometimes there might be more than one that we as breeders think that there could be more than one pup, but that is not usual. I have never knowing the home it is going to and what they are looking for in a pup had a problem placing the right pup in the right home

• @elbrant My husband has travel restrictions because of covid and being in the military and I have health issues where traveling wouldn't be advised right now. I know it would be better if I could pick up the pup so we have been looking here in california.

• @tanza said in I'm looking for a reputable breeder in Norcal Or just in the US in general:

@elbrant - Note that responsible breeders will "pick" the pup that best suits the potential home, not the other way around.

I think this is very wise. I know someone who consistently gets the wrong pup (her breed is GSD, not Basenji) because she thinks she wants a "high drive" dog, and invariably she ends up with something she isn't able to handle. It would be much better if the breeder picked a suitable dog for her, but ego gets in the way for some people and they make bad choices when they are allowed to do so....

• @tanza said in I'm looking for a reputable breeder in Norcal Or just in the US in general:

Note that responsible breeders will "pick" the pup that best suits the potential home,

The potential owner still has a right to the final say, be it "yes" or "no".

• Hi Kodak,
    You will really want to do some homework on this as I did find a couple breederS on Basenji.com and they were less than reputable. In one case, The mother was in poor condition and they didn’t seem to care and the other just wanted cash fast. They hardly asked me a thing and then they sold the pup promised to me.

Really, this is going to be your baby and you want a healthy, happy pup so you do need to go in person. It is well worth the money. A great breeder is Jasiri-Sukari at http://www.basenjisisters.com/. Most reputable breeders will not ship their dogs to you and you will have to go in person to pick them up for the safety of the pup but also so they can make sure they are putting their pup in good hands. It may be a four hours car trip for you each way but isn’t a healthy pup for the next 14-16 years worth it?

If you haven’t had a Basenji before, please, please, please do lots of research as they are not an easy breed but if you are willing to put In the time and effort it’s worth it. Good luck.
    Best, Adina

• @adina - did you mean basenji.org, not basenji.com? Basenji.com is not a legit site

• Look worldwide. We lived in Hawaii and got our basenji from N.Z. Cost was $2000 which included air fare.

morse.stafford@gmail.com

• @morsesa - Please is this not a post done over and over? And in this day/age, that cost just for shipping from NZ would be way, way more then what you are posting. Please stop putting this same post on over and over. That said I know most all responsible breeders in NZ or Australia.. and most all pups have already been placed as their breeding season produces pups in April/May/June

• Hi Tanza,

I did actually mean Basenji.org in my comment.

Best,
    Adina

@morsesa - Please is this not a post done over and over?

It's okay @tanza, you may not realize that you repeat the same post over and over as well. Certain situations seem to call for the same, or very similar, responses.

Suggested Topics