Soon to be Basenji mama! Playpen advice.

• Hello everyone!

My name is Lauren. Glad to have found this community! My fiance and I will be adding a Basenji to our family and would love some help in regards to properly preparing. Both of us work from home so the little girl will rarely be alone. That being said, I am a food photographer so during some portions of the day, she will need to be in her "home"/aka playpen. I've read that they are quite the escape artists so I've been searching for a tall gate. I found a company that sells lucite pens, but it is quite pricey.

It comforts me knowing that she won't be able to climb up the lucite like she would be able to with a grid-type pen.

What are your thoughts? Does this matter at all? Does a 36" tall playpen work well or will they be able to escape after a few months? If that is the case, I don't want to buy such an expensive playpen if it won't function well for some time. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! šŸ™‚

Warmly,
    Lauren

• She won't have to climb it, she'll be able to jump over it in a a matter of weeks!!

• Many more here have much more expertise than me, but I'll share what I do know. As elbrant stated your little girl will be bounding over it in no time.

Also, my basenji hated being separated from his pack and would become unhappy and destructive when sequestered. If I put him in the backyard by himself, he would jump up on the cooler and scratch at the kitchen window destroying the window screen in the process. Guess how I learned about dog resistant screens? If I put him in a room by himself he would whine and scratch at the door and worse. But, sometimes sequestering him was absolutely necessary. So what worked best for us was to put him in a room as far from the commotion as possible; feed him some treats and spend a few minutes to settle him down; then push a chair or ottoman close to a window sill, but make certain to open the curtains or blinds so he/she can clearly see to the outside. If you don't open them your basenji will eat your house.

I imagine a puppy will be a fair bit more of a challenge in terms of both patience and property. Keep your sense of humor handy and be ready to pivot quickly. In other words, be ready to implement multiple solutions one after another until your basenji trains you which is the correct one.

• If you make the effort to crate train her properly, she could learn to love the crate. Then she should be able to happily stay there with a chew toy for a couple of hours.
    -Joanne

• I like this one. it doesn't have crossbars so it's hard to climb. Plus you can use it if you want to keep your pup in a room. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SOX02U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You can also make it smaller if you want with just one panel on a side.

Crates are the only foolproof enclosure. We had a pup who I caught climbing a gate to get out of the kitchen. Since we wanted to discourage climbing, I gave her a squirt from a water bottle (fate worse than death), told her "no", and then picked her up and put her back in the kitchen. She looked at me, went over to a cardboard box she was using as a toy (boxes make great toys), pushed it over to the gate, jumped on top of it, jumped over the gate, and then gave me a rather questioning look, as if to say "How about this?". I was laughing so hard it was all I could do to pick her up and put her back in the kitchen. The point being that Basenjis are awfully good at figuring out things on their own, and they have a lot of time on their hands to do that. You on the other hand have other things to do. Not a fair contest. So I'd agree that your lucite pen isn't going to pose a huge problem for a determined Basenji, unless it has a top.

But note this is for a "determined" Basenji. If they aren't motivated to get out of the pen, then they'll be fine.

• These are great suggestions and tidbits of knowledge. Thank you all for your help! šŸ™‚

• @donc said in Soon to be Basenji mama! Playpen advice.:

... We had a pup who I caught climbing a gate to get out of the kitchen. Since we wanted to discourage climbing, I gave her a squirt from a water bottle (fate worse than death), told her "no", and then picked her up and put her back in the kitchen. She looked at me, went over to a cardboard box she was using as a toy (boxes make great toys), pushed it over to the gate, jumped on top of it, jumped over the gate, and then gave me a rather questioning look, as if to say "How about this?". I was laughing so hard it was all I could do to pick her up and put her back in the kitchen. ...

That's awesome! šŸ¤£

• Like everyone else has said, a basenji will easily learn how to get out of that haha

I recommend crate training, honestly. itā€™s safer and more reliable than an ex-pen and itā€™s important for dogs to have that ā€˜safeā€™ space where you can put them in emergencies. Crates arenā€™t cages - think of it more like a nest or a cave. Itā€™s a comfortable safe place, not a punishment. Most of the dogs that Iā€™ve owned have gone in of their own accord, or will ā€˜put themselves to bedā€™ - they like it. My current basenji sleeps in hers at night and goes in when I have to leave the house, and it gives me peace of mind to know that sheā€™s safe (and also the furniture is safe lol). It sets important expectations and boundaries too.

• I totally agree with the crate training. I put my little guy in his crate his first night home and every night thereafter. Yes his first 2 nights there were cries as there are always the first couple of nights, but now he really like his crate and always goes there when I am out of the house or just need "my time". I have always used the term "kennel up" and when he was old enough training treats on the floor. Always a fun voice and lovies when he is there. Never used as punishment. He will go readily when told and will lay down and sleep even when I am in the room knitting or just having my time. He is now 9 months. He has investigated the latches, but so far has not figured them out. I have never used paper on the bottom of the crate. I did use a soft blanket but he tore that up, so now only the plastic crate liner. Good luck with your little mite.

• Crates work for some, not all. I have had two Basenjis that were crate phobic and would potentially injure themselves trying to get out, i.e. damage to teeth, frantic and upset in crate to the point of defecating and getting it all over themselves as they struggled to get out, panting and in a panic all the time crated. Both of these were dogs I did not raise, one had been routinely crated before I got him, but always with other dogs crated next to him. Alone did not work! Proper training with a pup may work, or it may not. Some are accepting at first, then become increasingly anxious especially if left alone too long. My goal has always been to minimize use of a crate by creating a dog safe area that includes the ability to see outside. My dogs generally slept with me at night, so crating wasn't an issue at that time.

If you are home you can also use tethering to keep them out of trouble.

• I'm not playing devil's advocate here, but.... the only time any of my dogs are crated is when they travel (by plane).

I allow my Basenji free reign in the house. She has two "spots" that are exclusively hers. One is a huge, 2x4 foot dog bed tucked into the corner behind her club chair/ottoman. Yes, she has her own club chair, and she doesn't particularly like it when I borrow the ottoman. šŸ˜‰ She is allowed on my bed at any time, but she is not allowed on other pieces of furniture unless invited. And she understands the rules. When I leave the house, she curls up on my bed, often with her head on my pillow, and sleeps. The minute the key is in the slot, she runs to the door. Man, I love this dog!!

I suppose I just find crates unnecessary. Doodle can move about the same as anyone else in the family. And I can trust her not to do things that she shouldn't do. Even if I'm gone longer than usual.

• @elbrant said in Soon to be Basenji mama! Playpen advice.:

I'm not playing devil's advocate here, but.... the only time any of my dogs are crated is when they travel (by plane).

I allow my Basenji free reign in the house.

You are a brave woman. I'd say giving a Basenji puppy free reign of the house borders between unwise and crazy! LOL More the latter than the former.

At some point, perhaps two or so, they do become more trustworthy. Before then no possible way would I leave them alone. God knows what they will do, but guaranteed they will do something and guaranteed you won't be happy that they did it.

And even after you can trust them you have to make provision for their getting sick or having diarrhea. It's a lot easier to clean up a mess on a wood or tile floor than on the priceless Persian carpet (which FYI I don't own!).

• Thanks, everyone! Yea, I am not sure I will feel comfortable doing that but props to you! šŸ™‚ We have a large living room/dining room/kitchen open floor plan so she will have a nice area to enjoy when inside.

• @elbrant
    Same with my Kembe - free reign of the house and has NEVER been DESTRUCTIVE. She also has 2 special spots - her big dog bed in front of the fireplace and also the end of the couch which have her special fluffy blankets. She is allowed on the furniture and our bed (although she is no longer able to jump onto the bed - due to her age). When we leave the house she stands in the front bay window & watches us leave. When she hears our car pull into the driveway she will run out the doggie door and looks down @ us from the fenced deck as if to say ā€œitā€™s about time you came homeā€! My Kembe could be related to your Doodle! Lol

You are a brave woman

I give the credit to Janice of Nuttinbutt Basenji's. She matched GCH Undercover Yankee Spitfire @ Adventureland Basenji's (aka "my doodle") to me when doodle was 18 months. So, I brought home a girl who was perfect for us from day one. I was actually a little jealous when we picked her up because when she saw my son, it was "love at first sight". LOL

I will admit that the first couple of times I left her in the house alone, I came home to find the corners of my designer pillows mysteriously missing. We had some growing pains, but nothing overly dramatic.

My doodle has me wrapped around her curly tail and I wouldn't have it any other way!
    Thank you Janice!!!

• A crate, if the Basenji is properly crate trained and gets to regard it as a refuge, is good for short periods. But it must be big enough to allow room to stand up, stretch, and lie at full length. Not cramped at all. A special bone, only to be enjoyed in the crate and nowhere else, can help too.

Like elbrant, I only crate in the car. I have a gate between the kitchen and the rest of the house, actually saloon-type doors set close to the floor with firm latches, louvres away from the kitchen to prevent climbing (!) and another at the top of the stairs. This is enough to control the pack and keep it where I want it - mainly in the large farmhouse kitchen with access to the great outdoors during the day, but allowed through to the rest of the house in the evenings to share a comfy chair and watch TV.

• I may have to rethink my use of crates if and when we get a new doggie. I didnā€™t crate Jengo because it just made him absolutely miserable. We imagined him crated at the pound for weeks enduring a cacophony of barking dogs and going nuts. Treats didnā€™t matter, bedding didnā€™t matter, encouragement didnā€™t matter. Nothing we tried worked. My vet also noticed he hated crates and would allow him to freely wonder with the vet techs unless he was recovering from anesthesia following a dental. I wish he liked a crate. Would have made our life a bit easier occasionally. But, we just could not bring ourselves to do it. It really did seem like punishment. I donā€™t fault people at all for using a crate. It just didnā€™t work for us.

• @jengosmonkey said in Soon to be Basenji mama! Playpen advice.:

I may have to rethink my use of crates if and when we get a new doggie.

For some dogs nothing will work, but usually you can start by treating them when they get near an open crate. Then when they get inside you start treating them in the back. A clicker can be helpful for the first couple of steps. Also a Kong or something when they go in might also get them happier to be there.

• @zande said in Soon to be Basenji mama! Playpen advice.:
    This is enough to control the pack and keep it where I want it - mainly in the large farmhouse kitchen with access to the great outdoors during the day, but allowed through to the rest of the house in the evenings to share a comfy chair and watch TV.

Sound perfect. Let's you avoid those "we haven't heard our little darling in quite a while, what is she up to?" moments. LOL

Sound perfect. Let's you avoid those "we haven't heard our little darling in quite a while, what is she up to?" moments. LOL

Silence from young children or puppies is always ominous! šŸ˜‰

Suggested Topics