Looking for a Basenji puppy to join the family in Los Angeles!

• Hey There -

My partner and I are currently looking to add a Basenji to our family! I’m hoping there are breeders in California beyond why I’ve been able to find? I’d love to be able to train (as much as one can!) and raise a little one from the very start. I’ve been in touch with a few breeders who have full waiting lists and pretty much have been told “not likely!”. This would be our very first basenji and we mutually agreed to do a deep dive into research and understand what comes. We’ve definitely mentally prepared and hopefully can make further preparations once we know we can bring one home. If anyone knows of anyone in the So Cal area, or in California at all, please let me know!

• Most all breeders have reservation lists for planned breedings. I would suggest you try the Pacific Northerwest or other states. There are only a couple of breeders in No. California. You can search for breeders at www.basenji.org by state. Please be sure to do your research and verify health testing.

• Thank you! 🙏 I've come across some breeders who don't do health testing, which I just kept pushing, assuming that was a red flag.

I figured I'd need to branch out a bit from just california as well and appreciate the tip!

• @aalas89 -Yes, no health testing or to "interview" you as a good new owner is important. Many will just sell you a pup and ship to you as long as you pay the money. You need to check out the health testing yourself at www.ofa.org for at least Fanconi and PRA... these results are public posted. You just need the name and/or registration number

• @aalas89 said in Looking for a Basenji puppy to join the family in Los Angeles!:

've come across some breeders who don't do health testing, which I just kept pushing, assuming that was a red flag.

You are absolutely right that this is a red flag ! You need to ask to see health data on the parents too -

And as Tanza says, so is failing to submit you to Third Degree Interrogation to check that you are a suitable person to own one of these challenging animals ! There are far too many 'breeders' out there who will take anyone's money without question, offer no support or advice and often don't even provide an accurate pedigree or, in fact correct paperwork.

In USA you call such people 'puppy-mills'. We call them 'puppy farmers' which I find to be a far more appropriate term !

Good luck in your search.

• @zande - Also known as Back Yard Breeders..... in it for the money only not the welfare of the animals

• @tanza that's a difficult one in UK, cos almost all of us breed responsibly in the kitchen, the back bedroom, the sitting room or somewhere in the house where there is space ! But of course 'yard' and 'garden' have meanings which often require translation between our two highly different languages. LOL

However, the term is certainly not unknown to me in the current context !

• @zande - Exactly Zande and these breeders(so called)... do not raise litters in the home.... but outside or in pens/kennels.... most all are never really socialized to humans or to home noises like kitchen sounds, TV/radio, etc...
    Things like puppy nails being done from 1 to 2 wks old... looking a teeth, etc... typically they have multi litters and multi breeds. So with many litters there is no way that they can be properly socialized.

• @aalas89 I highly recommend Denise Searcy @ Starfyre Basenji in Nuevo, CA. PM for details since those can't be shared here. (Let her know I referred you 😉 )
    Also, have you checked out The South Coast Basenji Fanciers page? And on FB, there's a SoCal Basenji group. There aren't as many B. breeders, much less responsible ones, in CA as in AZ or PNW. Good luck.

• @helle-devi said in Looking for a Basenji puppy to join the family in Los Angeles!:

Denise Searcy @ Starfyre Basenji in Nuevo, CA

Great! I'll PM you now. I saw the South Coast Basenji page as well and love how active the community is. I'm happy to see there are events and should I get a puppy this season, that there various meetups so I can make sure he/she can socialize well into and through adulthood. Thank you!

• This post is deleted!

Suggested Topics