• :eek: My Jojo had to have an area on her neck shaved by her vet so she could draw some blood on her last vet visit the first week of April. Jojo still is bald where the vet shaved her hair. Now, she is my first B so I was wondering if their hair (fur) grows slower than other breeds😕 The area now has a sore on it form her collar rubbing it so I have removed the collar and I put anitbiotic ointment on it and monitoring closely. I have had other breeds before but I don't seem to remember their fur growing so slow…

• I would guess that because of the collar you have the bald spot and the reason that the hair has not grown in is because the collar was rubbing on it…. Their hair doesn't grow slower then other breeds....

• I found out my german shepherd mix had a low thyroid level after the vet shaved her, and I mentioned to the vet it was taking a long time for her hair to grow back. They tested her and found out her thyroid was low, and then she took thyroid pills. Both my german shepherd and basenji ended up taking thyroid pills–but this was when they were older dogs. Also--my vet at that time told me that that depending on the growth cycle of the hair--it may take longer for the hair to grow back.

• Well all Basenjis should be check for Thyroid… it is a problem in the breed. and be aware that complete Thyroid tested is more then the normal blood test that Vet typically do that only has the T4

Thyroid problems can most certainly effect Basenjis from as early as age 2 and under........

• Jojo is 11 and she does have hypothyroidism and is on Soloxene for it…I didn't think of that...she gets her levels done again in Sept...they apparently were fine in April...we'll see...thanks for the input...

• And not unsual for the dog of Jojo's age to have hypothyroidism …

• It took a long time for my B's hair to grow back after their spay/neuter.

Suggested Topics