Basenji or whippet? Anyone have both?

• @hazyj - If you contact me via email, I will connect you with her... she has Basenjis and Whippets... and has for years (tanzab@aol.com)

• @elbrant said in Basenji or whippet? Anyone have both?:

This kind of made me cringe.

Don't cringe, HazyJ. All Basenjis are different (and how !?!) and are differently reared to live in different situations and conditions. Things that work for one owner may well be anathema to another.

You have to weigh up all the pros and cons and see how things relate to your own circumstances.

For instance, I have a big garden, and throwing a Frisbie for a while often has to stand in for a walk. On the other hand, I never leave my Basenjis alone for more than 4 hours, absolute maximum. Even when I had 8 in the house.

Hoover went for a hour to the forest yesterday and then came with me in her car-crate on the trip to see my new puppy. A friend with her Labrador and a Bichon came with us. All the dogs are used to travelling and we stopped off for a free run and a chance to stretch legs on the way.

Before anyone shouts, NO they didn't visit with the puppies, they stayed in the car - I have too much respect for young Moms !

So just take it all on board and see if you have the time to work with a Basenji or if too much makes you cringe. But there is no need, no need at all.

• @zande said in Basenji or whippet? Anyone have both?:

“All Basenjis are different (and how !?!) and are differently reared to live in different situations and conditions. Things that work for one owner may well be anathema to another.“

Exactly and there are exceptions / outliers in the breed. Also, each dog will adapt to each owner individually. I have never had problems with discipline or training, yet they try to manipulate me with “goodness” lol because they know it works. With my wife, they never try to manipulate her because they know it doesn’t work, yet they will not listen to her sometimes when being disciplined and told no.

• @tanza said in Basenji or whippet? Anyone have both?:

they are a "thinking" breed

❤ this! I watch doodle think things through all the time and then make a decision about it. The only thing she doesn't really seem to get is the "wind", especially when a random plastic grocery bag catches a breeze and starts dancing about. She knows the bag isn't alive... but it's moving(!), what's up with that? LOL I don't really know how to explain it to her, but I can tell she's a little spooked by it. Such an incredibly smart breed!

• @hazyj said in Basenji or whippet? Anyone have both?:

“this makes me cringe” made me think otherwise.

If you thought cringing was harsh, I apologize. We know very little about new members, so there isn't any reference for (your definition of) a "walk". Your walks might be as long as 5 miles, or as short as 5 minutes... Cringing was more because, well, it could have gone either way. I hope that makes more sense now.

IMHO, a lengthy daily walk strengthens the dog/owner bond and prevents doggie boredom. Overall, it does a doggie good.

• @tanza said in Basenji or whippet? Anyone have both?:

they are a "thinking" breed...

thinking, yes, but also scheming, planning strategists, who will outwit all but the most vigilant. Lovely creatures !!!!

• @elbrant said in Basenji or whippet? Anyone have both?:

She knows the bag isn't alive

You are mistake...it is clearly a squirrel.....until investigated lol

Suggested Topics