• Hi everyone! Mya is 12 years old and started leaking at night time while sleeping. When I say leaking, I mean full load urine release. I work shift work so she waits until I get home at 11pm to chug her water sometimes. In the past, she has been able to hold it through the night or wake me up to go outside and potty.

Vet put her on Proin. First day she vomited (as it wasn't with food). The next attempt about 2 weeks later (in which I am sure to give it with some food), she is now having some diarrhea. These are listed side effects, just wondering if anyone had tips or tricks with using Proin successfully while minimizing the side effects.

Thanks! ~Allison

• You can buy washable doggie underpants/diapers. If she’s having accidents - it might help.

• I have tried it for a b girl with corrected ectopic ureters. While it might help a little, it was inconsistent. She will sometimes have soft stool regardless of medication. Both her stool quality and urine leakage amount seem linked to her state of mind. When she is more excited or hot, she will leak more. Too high of a dose of Proin also caused her to leak more. Her optimum daily total was less than that normally prescribed and was most effective if equally spread over at least three doses equally spread throughout the day. Her bladder leakage seems a little more like bladder spasms (not 'accidents'), so a different medication for spasms did work a little better, but I doubt it would work well if she were guzzling like your b is.
    I have for now found that a thong-like diaper with a little pad works best. Her mind doesn't stay calm and consistent, so medications don't work consistently.
    Is one more potty break an hour after guzzling an option?

• @allisonmosley said in Proin Side Effects:

I work shift work so she waits until I get home at 11pm to chug her water sometimes. In the past, she has been able to hold it through the night or wake me up to go outside and potty.

O. K. so are you saying she has no access to water until you get home, or that she doesn't drink while you are out, while having access?

• @flbasenji said in Proin Side Effects:

Is one more potty break an hour after guzzling an option?

Do you have any idea(s) on why she is guzzling water after you get home as opposed to drinking it as needed throughout the day? Is the "urgent" water consumption a result of the food she is eating, or a possible medical condition? Did her Vet do any tests to rule out kidney, thyroid, or other issues? I noticed another post mentioning that Mya was diagnosed with Fanconi quite some time ago... has the Vet checked to see if her medication(s) need to be adjusted? It seems odd to me that "all of a sudden" she doesn't wake up to go outside... very curious.

As far as the loose bowel movements go: try just a teaspoon or so of unseasoned Pumpkin, puree'd or mashed. I buy cans of it (in the U.S.) for a dollar or so. You don't need a lot, just a little. It seems to be some sort of magical pre/pro-biotic for pups. There is a huge amount in the can, so I tend to line up spoonfuls on a cookie sheet, freeze them for an hour or so, then toss them in a zipper freezer bag for long term storage. My dog will eat them, frozen or thawed, with or without other food.

• @elbrant
    I agree w/ the frozen pumpkin “blobs”. I have copied your suggestion of freezing the little pumpkin balls in zip lock bags - they are convenient and easy to store . My dog likes them and I think it does wonders for her digestive system.

Suggested Topics