• Hi
    So I am in love with Basenji, and will have one as soon as I retire in a few years, and buy a house with big yard for my pup to enjoy freedom of running and being safe behind a fence.

How long did you, guys, have to wait before you got a puppy? The nearest breeders to me would be Mata Hauri and Eldorado. I am in CT in tri-state area.
    I was just thinking if the wait is 5 years or something, I better get on the list now!
    Thank you

• I waited 3 years. I lived in New Jersey and got mine from a breeder in virginia. I now have three. They are pretty addicting.

• I contacted a breeder and I was going to put myself on a list for a basenji puppy for the next breeding season. She said she had a 1 year old female that was returned (I think she said it was due to the owners divorcing). I had my heart set on a puppy - she said the puppy stage is short lived and a lot of work and not what it’s all cracked up to be - I’d be getting a young dog technically still a puppy that was potty trained etc. She encouraged me to at least meet the dog. Once we did we fell in love immediately and it was as if she chose us. It was a blessing in disguise because she has been the PERFECT DOG and we love her. I also live in New England (Western MA) - the breeder is:
    Gretchen Van Alstyne
    Kokopelli Basenjis
    Rocky Hill, CT
    Kokopellibasenjis@hotmail.com
    860-874-5710

• That depends on how set you are on getting a puppy. Unless you plan to breed, a rescue Basenji is an excellent choice. After years of researching the breed, I fostered and eventually adopted from BRaT before getting a breeder puppy. I've had Basenjis of all ages in my home. The older ones are amazing. They will still play, but are easier to settle down for a cuddle. Opening my heart and home to a rescue Basenji was a life changing experience I will never regret.

• @kembe oh thank you so much for the info!
    Same thing happened to me with my previous doggie. I was waiting to get a puppy, and the breeder still had one left from previous litter. She was 6 mo old, still a puppy in my eyes, and she lived for 18 years after. I can’t wait to get mine! Just need a little bit more money squirrel away. I am living vicariously through all of you, lucky people with basenji

• Always a good idea to meet breeders and their Basenjis......

• Where are you located Tanza Basenji? I would love to come and visit if someone is not too far

• @snejkaxo - I am in California. I was referring to the breeders that you noted since they are close to meet and visit with them. Meeting breeders is important since once you get one of their pups you become family.

• I contacted one of the breeders, but no one replied. It’s been a week since I wrote, so maybe they are just busy. Or maybe because I said I will be getting one In 3 years or so, and just wanted to know when I should get on the waiting list, maybe they thought it was stupid. I don’t know. <shrug> I will wait a while longer, and see if another one would reply.

• @snejkaxo said in How long is the wait list?:

I contacted one of the breeders, but no one replied. It’s been a week since I wrote, so maybe they are just busy. Or maybe because I said I will be getting one In 3 years or so, and just wanted to know when I should get on the waiting list, maybe they thought it was stupid. I don’t know. <shrug> I will wait a while longer, and see if another one would reply.

I would suggest you try a phone call.....

• I actually go my 4 yr old girl from Eldorado Basenjis in MA ( I live in NJ). I was referred to them by Sue Coe, now semi retired and living in Australia (I'd gotten my last 3 Basenji's from Sue when they retired from the show ring). As adorable as the puppies are, I don't have time and patience to help them through babyhood so I have always opted for a young adults and once again the formula has worked for me. My Olly is now 5 and is totally adorable. Just like her predecessors, she has me wrapped around her little paw. Having been in the show ring, she is pretty well socialized to people and travel (although she wasn't real thrilled the first time she met a horse - "Gosh, Mom...... that's a really big dog!"). She is so mellow and laid back that the landlord of my office building has declared the building pet friendly. He wants her to come to work as often as she likes.

Puppies are wonderful but don't discount the young, mature or even senior dogs that reputable breeders or BRAT may have available. Whatever and whenever you chose, welcome to Basenjiland and good luck!!!

Suggested Topics