Has anyone ever had to deal with hyperthyroidism in their Basenji rather than the hypothyroidism ?

• SF Bay Basenjis

Has anyone ever had to deal with hyperthyroidism in their Basenji rather than the hypothyroidism ?

• I have not, but I have heard of some with hyper vs hypo.... off hand I don't remember much about it.... You might want to join some of the Basenji groups on Facebook if you have not already

• I had a foster who tested via the Thyroid5 panel at hemopet to have hyperthyroidism which may indicate a cancer in some. He was tested right before arriving at his foster home and was quite active when he first arrived, running laps around the yard. We waited on further testing, giving him a couple of months to chill by the pool. He was pretty stressed out and confined in his previous home, so chill time really was needed. Two months later, another complete panel returned perfect mid-range normal results. No medication was ever used.

• As a human, I have been "diagnosed" with both. Stress is a key factor. Relieve the stress, or exercise enough to deal with the stress and, very often, the Thyroid will quit misbehaving.

• SF Bay Basenjis

Thank you so much for your suggestions, the first test was at a 5.7 and I am awaiting the results of a second test. The initial blood test also revealed Diabetes Insipidus but I feel there is more to it than that and I see many of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism which i've read is usually results from medication for hypo and I had not given any such meds so it's a mystery how it was contracted. And we did lose her half brother in January which would explain added stress.
    Don

Suggested Topics