• First Basenji's

Hello. I’m looking forward to learning more about my basenji here. I did a ton of research before deciding on this breed. My pup Mojo was born on New Year’s Eve. He came home last week at 8 weeks old. He’s a handful but by far the most intelligent dog I’ve ever had. He already knows several commands like sit, stay, come, down and roll over. As is typical from what I’ve read he does it when it suits him or he sometimes conveniently forgets when he doesn’t feel like doing it. Even if he just did it an hour ago lol. I’m a very experienced dog owner with other breeds over the years and I look forward to the adventures mojo and I will have in the years to come. I’m from Georgia in the mountains so there’s a lot of hiking in our future. ☺

• Welcome to the forum. Who did you get your pup from? Post pictures!! 🙂

• First Basenji's

I’ve tried to post pictures. Doesn’t seem to be working. I got him from Lee Russel in NC.

• @i-babygirl-i said in New Basenji Mom:

Lee Russel in NC

For pictures, sometimes they are too large and you have to make smaller. If not, click on the up arrow to the right of the smiley under thread title, click on the photo and it should upload it.

A bit late for advice, but when a breeder sells on puppies-for-sell sites, and sire/dam have no points in shows, and the only testing is the sire for fanconi, clear, BUT the dogs don't have permanent ids, you generally can bet on the breeder being a byb/puppymill. If you could be sure the sire is clear then you would know your pup at least can't have Fanconi. With no permanent ID, and sadly easy to use another dog... I really would be careful and redo the fanconi test.

Sire:
    https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?f=sr&appnum=1582908
    https://www.apps.akc.org/apps/store/search/dog_lookup.cfm?button=search&RequestTimeout=300&report_cde=&report_category_cde=

The mother has no OFA testing.
    Registration No. Dog Name
    HP52670004 Russell's Issey Bell
    (Basenji)
    Color:
    Sex/Whelp Date: /
    DNA Information:

https://marketplace.akc.org/breeder/lee-russell-31179/basenji/161739

• Congratulations on your new baby! Your comments are right on point - they are very intelligent and will do commands when they get something out of it. It's the "what's in it for me attitude." Too smart for their own good ! Lol
    Welcome to the Forum and many happy times with your new Basenji.

• And while you are getting to learn more, introduce them to the Dremel real early to keep those nails short. Just a slight grinding at this age will get him used to it.

• Congratulations from another Mojo Mama! Can't wait to see a pic of your baby Mojo. That was great advice about getting him used to the dremel now. In general, get him used to being touched all over - it really helps later. Enjoy your pup - they grow up so fast!

• Congrats and welcome to the forum. I'll give a big paw up the the idea of getting him used to the Dremel at an early age.

Good luck with your bundle!

• Congrats on your new member to your family. She sounds like little character. As a member of the Basenji fans, one thing I would encourage you to do, get down on the floor/ground at her level. I did this with my late Molly, she loved it and sometimes changed her attitude for the whole day. It’s been almost a year since she went to doggie heaven, romping and running with many of her ‘friends’. Honestly I have never loved a dog as much as I did Molly. 😊

• Sensible choice - a Basenji puppy ! you'll have a wonderful, if challenging, time.

But PLEASE people, registered names of your puppies so they can be included in the database along with photographs.

• @debradownsouth I've tried cropping, loading from both phone and pc. Only pic I was able to load at all was my profile pic. He was 5 weeks old there. Its when I picked him out. I have loads of gorgeous pics of him but I've never come across a less user friendly site to post pics. Its not like they are some high def professional pics here. I took them with my phone. I've tried the pic icon, cloud icon and upload icon. I just give up trying. its too frustrating.

• @i-babygirl-i said in New Basenji Mom:

@debradownsouth I've tried cropping, loading from both phone and pc. Only pic I was able to load at all was my profile pic. He was 5 weeks old there. Its when I picked him out. I have loads of gorgeous pics of him but I've never come across a less user friendly site to post pics. Its not like they are some high def professional pics here. I took them with my phone. I've tried the pic icon, cloud icon and upload icon. I just give up trying. its too frustrating.

They are likely too large. You mention cropping, but that isn't the same thing as downsizing. Do you have a photo program that you can use to reduce the image size? What is the size of the file you are trying to upload?

• @eeeefarm thank you! I think I may have it figured out now. Note to self... don't try to figure something out before at least 2 cups of coffee and while Mojo is still on his morning energy high. lmao

• Beautiful Pup!!! Congratulations...you are in for lots of craziness and fun! Welcome!

• @i-babygirl-i
    If you need help, I'm glad to resize for you.

Suggested Topics