My 5 year old Basenji is biting new Basenji puppies hard

• @dennis We had Copperhead Snakes here which are deadly. My Beagle Hound would find one and come barreling Home with one in his mouth that was playing dead. Snakes are all over the US and a lot of them are invasive species brought illegally from other Countries. They have Pythons and Boa Constrictors in Florida that are fast and they have killed Dogs and people too.

I have no idea how to train your Dogs to not do what comes naturally to them. They are too curious and stubborn for their own good! My gal climbed a Tree at the Horse Farm and she went to high and was too scared to jump down. It took 4 people holding a Draft Horse blanket and loads of encouragement and bribes with her favorite Biscuit. When she got hungry she finally jumped and she had a soft landing right into the Blanket. She NEVER climbed that particular tree again but she did climb smaller trees. I never had her Dew Claws removed because when those are removed it messes with their balance and the ability to climb trees.

Wow, I have never been a fan of the Desert. I have been to Turkey, Greece, Israel, Ireland and France plus a lot of the Carriberan Islands. I have been to several Greek Islands including one that was a Volcnic Island that had black sand. Sadly it is no longer safe to travel to a lot of the Greek Islands due to the Migrants. Greece has done more than its fair share of accepting the Migrants.

Those Tararnula wasps sound awful! Keep safe!!

A

• Just a follow-up. My older Basenji is now letting my puppies climb on him! He grumbles, but now only bites if they bite him first. The puppies are learning fast to not bite him, but it still happens at times. It's been a month and I'm feeling much better. My older boy is finally starting to warm up. They have even played together, tugging on a toy a few times. Thanks again for your input. I think it will all be fine. Thx!

• Dennis, glad to hear that things are sorting themselves out. Usually time is all that is needed, and I have seldom seen a mature dog do more than remind puppies of their place. Generally they have "puppy immunity" while they are young, but that will wear off. Your next challenge may come as they mature if they decide to challenge your older dog.

• That good news, Dennis - and you are likely to find, in the long run, that the older boy will teach the pups far more than you ever can. They'll get their street cred from him !

Suggested Topics