Breeding
Basenji Mix

Hi, my bitch is in heat and we took her to the stud and nothing.... What is the best time to try again? I asked our vet but with the estrus cycle being different for basenji than other breeds, I thought it best to ask you guys 😃 (she is currently on day 9 after the first real signs of blood)

Jenn, the next time should probably be next year after you have taken the time to find a mentor and learn more. Once you learn more, you'll realize how breeding a dog that is a mixbreed is incredibly irresponsible. There simply isn't any reason to created puppies for pets, put your girl at risk during pregnancy, put the puppies at risk of having all sorts of genetic diseases because you have no idea what she carries. And since no responsibly bred stud would let their dog breed with such a bitch, you're doubling up on questionable health. Please do the right thing and get her spayed.

::::I am 38 with a beautiful girl named Lola. She is a Basenji/Chihuahua mix. She is 4 yrs old and has been with us for almost 3 years. I also have a Rhodesian Ridge back cross named kaos. He is 10 and has been with us almost 10 years. They were both rescued from less than desirable situations. We love them both very much and look forward to learning more about Lola's breed. I have some great pictures to upload but it keeps telling me that they are to big so, I will add them as soon as I can.( Any suggestions on how to fix this would be much appreciated):::

You can use any photo program to decrease the size.

last edited by DebraDownSouth

Agree w/ getting her spayed. Do the right thing! So many available dogs that need good nurturing homes.i have a pure bred basenji that was returned to the breeder - but I would definately get a basenji rescue in need of a home the next time around. I would get another B - but my princess would not allow it - she is the BOSS!

Please don't breed from a crossbreed when there are so many pedigree dogs and puppies looking for a loving home.

You have no idea what scourges could be behind your mix and bringing more mixes into this already overcrowded world is just irresponsible.

Over here, even puppy farmers eschew breeding cross-breeds.

I never normally advocate spaying but in this instance it would be the responsible way to go.

Looks like your connection to Basenji Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.