Basenji + ? other dog breeds ?

• I was told our mixed dog is a Basenji mix. After researching the Basenji, I'm fairly sure she is. But can anyone out there help me identify what other breed(S) she might be?

Layla's Parents

![alt text](0_1537827902241_Layla 7-2018 copy.jpeg image url)0_1537827917814_Layla 2018 copy.jpeg

• Do a DNA test. They aren’t too expensive.
    That will tell you the breeds she is

• She is a cutie but not sure about the basenji aspect based on her colouring, ears, tail and coat. I'm seeing some lab in her but as was mentioned a dna test is the best idea. All that said she looks like a real sweetheart and deserves all the belly rubs!!

• ![alt text](image url)![alt text]()![alt text][strikethrough text](![link url](image url))

• Her face and head look Basenji to me. Does she have other Basenji characteristics?

• Yes, she has a curly tail, makes figure 8s when she is walked and yodels (in addition to barking.![alt text](image url)

• How tall is she and what does she weigh? A side view standing would be useful. Is she fairly square like a Basenji? When she barks, is it one or two separated barks, or a series? Some Basenjis do bark, but usually just once or twice when startled, not a string of barks. (Of course, whatever the mix is could affect this). As stated, you need DNA to be sure. Maybe Lab, but it doesn't jump out at me. I used to know a German Shepherd cross that looked a bit like her, including the colour.

• @layla She is a very sweet Dog. If you really want to go to the expense to find out what she is then you should satisfy your curiosity. I would just love to have a sweet Dog like yours but then again I have a weakness for Hounds of all types!

Good luck and be happy you have her!

• Oh thank you. I am!

• @2baroos

@eeeefarm said in Basenji + ? other dog breeds ?:

How tall is she and what does she weigh? A side view standing would be useful. Is she fairly square like a Basenji? When she barks, is it one or two separated barks, or a series? Some Basenjis do bark, but usually just once or twice when startled, not a string of barks. (Of course, whatever the mix is could affect this). As stated, you need DNA to be sure. Maybe Lab, but it doesn't jump out at me. I used to know a German Shepherd cross that looked a bit like her, including the colour.

Thanks so much for your input. When I get her DNA results,Iwill be sure to post them here. I have seen other Basenji mixes, and she seems to resemble most the Basenji-Yellow Labs the most. But we will see!

• @2baroos said in Basenji + ? other dog breeds ?:

Do a DNA test. They aren’t too expensive.
    That will tell you the breeds she is

Thanks so much for your input. When I get her DNA results,Iwill be sure to post them here. I have seen other Basenji mixes, and she seems to resemble most the Basenji-Yellow Labs the most. But we will see!

Layla's humans

• @eeeefarm

Layla's humans

• @antigone

Layla's Keepers

• @marty

Thanks Marty. She is a cutie. She does seem to resemble the Basenji-Yellow Lab combo the most. When I get the DNA test results I'll post them, (in the next few months-I'm in no big hurry.)

Layla's Parents

• @2baroos

When I get the DNA test results I'll post them, (in the next few months-I'm in no big hurry.)

Layla's Parents

• @layla I am constantly wondering how these mixes happen. A Lab is a big dog and Basenjis are tiny by comparison. It is rather mind-boggling! Nevertheless you have a very sweet Dog! Also a VERY lucky Dog. 🙂

• @antigone said in Basenji + ? other dog breeds ?:

@layla I am constantly wondering how these mixes happen. A Lab is a big dog and Basenjis are tiny by comparison. It is rather mind-boggling! Nevertheless you have a very sweet Dog! Also a VERY lucky Dog. 🙂

My 90 pound Rottweiler bitch backed her behind up to my bed to let our neutered rescue poodle hump her. My then 9 yr old daughter had a serious talk with both of them, lol. I saw a saint bernard bitch lie down for a chihuahua (owners not paying attention.. I yelled for them to look, lol).

Where there's a will there's a way fits with dogs in heat.

• Yes, like you said where there's there's a will there's a way. That's hilarious about the St. Bernard and the chihuahua"

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• @mvdperez

I am not sure where you got your information, but no, breeding a dog or cat or horse or cow or pig or any mammal to another breed does one thing only-- produces mixed offspring that time. When you breed to another purebred, those offspring are not "ruined bloodlines". They are just as pure as before.

IOW, if your XYZ show queen mates with Mr Doodles, the neighborhood stray, the kittens produced are mixed. Obviously not XYZ purebreds.
    Next time, you breed your XYZ queen to a purebred XYZ tom, the kittens produced are PUREBRED XYZ. Their bloodline isn't ruined. They have no dna from the previous litter.

Suggested Topics