Basenji service and Therapy dogs

• Hey everyone! I'm new here! I have a basenji female, fixed named Cleopatra. We got her when my first service dog, a rescued Akita named Sachiko, passed away. The Service job was passed down to Cleo and she was retired after our car accident but has been recently been pulled out of retirement and being retrained because my problems have been getting bad again. She's wonderful and now I use a K9 sportsack to keep her closer and so people won't trip on her.
    Are there any other Basenji service dog people here? Therapy or ESD? I would love to chat. !

• I know we have at least one person here but I'll let them speak up. How old is Cleo? I am sorry about your accident and that you are having more problems.

• Hi

My Diva is a service dog and has been for 5 years now. She is very good at what she does and is my lifeline. I have trained her in a unique way because of her size. She blocks by jumping on me to put distance between a person that comes into my personal space. She also wakes me up from night terrors by climbing onto my chest. I'm in good paws with my faithful Diva by my side.
    I'm also in the process of training my full African as an alternate,he is 3/4 of the way in his training.

Kathryn

• In our county your dog has to pass "good neighbor" training which my BJ failed. I have a registered service dog, but the BJ is far more attentive. In our state there is a growing trend to cut down on "internet certified" dogs, so I choose not to go that route.

• Cleopatra is 7 years old now. Her job is to press against me to keep me grounded and get me out of dark areas with people. She'll start licking to help me when I start stimming and get shaky. If the depression is bad she comes and sits near me and cries. Some days I can go without her but others she stays near me and goes where I go.

Suggested Topics