• I have never heard that Basenji's can "suck up" their testicles. It makes sense though. Monkeys can do the same thing, and with the dogs running throught the bush you would want to keep them safe from being snagged. Very interesting.

• LOL, I haven't paid much attention but now I feel compelled to study Keoki's testicles next time I hold him.

LOL what are you people doing to me? 😉

• monkeys can do that???????? i never heard of that before. LOL, this is getting more and more interesting dont you think? the vets must go crazy trying to neuter basenji male puppies. lol

• Well, when put under for surgery, they will be "down" unless they have a retained testicle… and even sometimes those will drop...

• felakuti, yes, monkeys do that. I have worked with them for years and I was told it was to prevent them from getting nailed, ripped or bitten during fighting for territory or jumping through bush. They pull them up any time they are nervous or anytime they want.

• @dash:

felakuti, yes, monkeys do that. I have worked with them for years and I was told it was to prevent them from getting nailed, ripped or bitten during fighting for territory or jumping through bush. They pull them up any time they are nervous or anytime they want.

Dash, where do you work with monkeys, and what kind? I also worked with monkeys for years, but never was in the position to notice whether they were decended or not 😉 Apes (with which I have more experience) most certainly cannot contract their scrotums (at least not voluntarily).

• I used to work with cynomologus monkeys and rhesus monkeys in a research setting. I was there for 8 years before changing to my current position in the business office. I was wondering if greater apes could do it as well but I guess not. Maybe it is just lower species?

• Did you work at OSU's primate lab? Do you know Dr. Sally Boyson?

• no. Battelle. Is she the one who was in charge of the chimp facility that was shut down? If so, then a friend of mine worked with her there.

• @dash:

no. Battelle. Is she the one who was in charge of the chimp facility that was shut down? If so, then a friend of mine worked with her there.

Yes….unbelievable tradgedy.....I think at least two of her chimps have died during/since transport. Have you been following the story?

• sort of. The friend of mine who worked with the chimps said they were very poorly funded and were in need of a lot of things OSU wasn't able/willing to support anymore. It must have been horrible for her since that was her lifes work and I am sure they were her "babies"

Suggested Topics