• Hi, I've had my basenji mix (part lab/pit) for about nine months. He just turned one late April. One of my major concerns is his bowels. When I take him out in the morning, he poops three times, and it's always solid but then turns soft on his third squat. It doesn't come out like mush pattities or anything. It retains normal shape but is just really soft. Another thing is as soon as he eats, he has to go outside. It's like everything goes straight through him. Not to mention his farts. He can gas you out of a room in seconds. I've tried all sorts of different food brands (of course not straight away, I always slowly introduce new food), and it doesn't seem to have an effect on him. Even at his current age, he still has accidents inside of the house. He has no problem with holding in his pee, but his poop on the other hand... Should I take him to the vet?

• Wow, I always had the opposite problems. My basenji doesn’t want to do the number two...he has to go, but it takes a while till he finds that special place to do it.
    Maybe the food is no good for his digestion? You can try with probiotic to make his bowels healthier. Nusentia has great probiotic for dogs.
    It could be parasites, when did you gave him something against parasites?
    My dog does number two once, or twice daily - since on barf. I ground pumpkin seeds to clean him of parasites and I give him anti parasitic pill two times a year (He is in the stable a lot around horses and eats horse poo, so twice a year seems ok).
    Clean parasites and give him probiotic. You will see the difference in two weeks, if not - go to the vet

• Dogs fed on kibble poop more times than dogs that are fed raw meat. You say that everything seems to go straight through but of course this isn't likely if he is a normal healthy dog. Mine are fed raw but at one time I was persuaded to use a kibble to help one lose weight. I didn't keep him on that for more than a few days as he pooped at least four times a day showing that a high proportion of what he was taken in was rubbish! Before you try anything I would get him checked out by the vet first.

• Definitely try probiotics, then a vet check. My daughter's mixed-breed (primarily American Staffordshire) exhibited similar symptoms, plus weight loss, at around the same age as your basenji. He was eventually diagnosed with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) With no fish products, single-ingredient food, and a daily enzyme supplement, he's now a healthy three-year-old.

• Definitely consult vet and consider appropriate lab work. If all OK, add probiotic and high quality grain free kibble. My dogs have done very well on a combination raw food and grain free kibble for many years. I do rotate protein sources every 3 to 4 weeks.

• Definitely take him to a good vet. Could be many different things from worms to a bacterial infection to something like EPI.

• George does the same, 3 poops getting softer. He goes out 3 times a day (no garden) and may do little hard ones in the afternoon. He's fed half dry food, half high meat content food.

• No question about vet... yes take him. It doesn't do anything for me to guess at the problem. While it could be parasites, it can also be an absorption issue. Fecal exam is an absolute, and I suspect quite a bit more. Having to go soon after eating is normal for dogs. But the gas and softness and not being able to hold is a sign of something medically wrong.

Please let us know who it goes.

Using a lower fiber/bulk food can help the amount of feces, and probiotics can help absorption. Giving him an indoor potty station/pads could help with the indoor incidents to at least contain. But nothing should be done diet or supplement-wise until you find out what is going on.

• @janja said in Bowel movements:

Wow, I always had the opposite problems. My basenji doesn’t want to do the number two...he has to go, but it takes a while till he finds that special place to do it.
    Clean parasites and give him probiotic. You will see the difference in two weeks, if not - go to the vet

Your dog may need you to add fiber to his diet. It can be clear soluble fiber, ground carrots or green beans, etc. If that doesn't help, stool softeners. Unless you mean he simply is picky about the spot... not any real issue going. If so, ignore my suggestions. 🙂

This dog needs to see a vet before using probiotics or any type of dewormer, natural or not. You don't want to decrease worm load or change feces make up until the vet has a chance to examine.

• It’s just a spot thing 😊 his bowel movement is ok...
    He has to pick a spot where no dogs are near, where there is a certain breeze...just kidding. He is picky, nothing else. Thank you 😊

Suggested Topics