• @debradownsouth said in Nipping:

I disagree with several posters who say basenjis are different from any other breed. Nah. They have common quirks, but nothing about them isn't also common in a lot of other breeds. Almost every breed has a general collection of behaviors that are unique package... but the individual ones, no. Dog aggression, animal aggression, same sex aggression, opposite sex aggression, it isn't uncommon. You just learn how to manage it so everyone is safe.

Surprising enough or totally not, i agree with that. I have heard so many times "Basenji's are so special you cannot compare them with any other breed. You need to be at least half a smart as they are and two steps ahead and understanding this will help you", which I do not agree. They are hunters and have some characters of hunters, nothing too dramatic. As mentioned, I think, by me and Debra there is unlimited help on the internet. And you may consider going to some class, not because the trainer will tell you something you don't see thousands of times on the internet. but your dog can be with other dogs and learn from them and\or be more socialized, which is always good. I insist that if you have the patient, then it easy. I don't say it a short procedure, not at all, but as one smart guy wrote "Don't Panic" (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy),".
    And its also fun when you see a progress, which you will see.

• @_neekko_ I was in Boston last weekend with family and we walked through Boston Commons and the directly adjacent Public Garden. There were many people walking dogs along with the many people who were just walking in the parks. (In other words it was crowded). I've never seen the muzzles where we live, but I saw at least 5 dogs with muzzles who were being walked in the park. And these weren't big head engulfing muzzles, rather they used a slender strap that crossed the dog's snout. I looked them up when I got home, they seem to be called head halters. I filed that information away, because I thought about how smart the dog owners were. Their dogs got a good walk and fresh air, but there was no danger of any biting ocurring.

• @ktiefen1 - Head Halters (think of a Halter that is used on horses) do not prevent biting and they are not considered any type of muzzle. Might help to prevent a bite, but that is not their primary use. They are used instead of a collar to control the dog with their heads, with directional control. I would never rely on a head halter to control biting.

• Formal training is definitely needed - but you need to find a trainer that is familiar with a number of different breeds (one of my first trainers was an aussie-shepherd person and never worked with hounds before - what a mistake that was).
    If there are dog schools that offer the AKC Canine Good Citizen classes in your area, I'd consider these after you've taken basic obedience. Or ask about a "manners" class.
    Forget the walks in crowded areas and forget the off-leash parks.
    I also would not suggest the head-halters ("gentle leader") on basenjis - these dogs will suddenly "take off" towards a squirrel or other prey animal and the gentle-leader/head-halter can damage the neck (it works fine for dogs that are more people oriented).

• to end of my part here - Good Luck.

0_1524050235035_30727951_369818173427647_6505010501330665472_n.jpg

• @crazysenji Well said. Any breed dog on a leash will get frustrated, angry and even scared when they are hampered from protecting themselves (i.e. by a leash).

• @debradownsouth said in Nipping:

Okay, so without being there to witness it, no one can say for sure it's transferred aggression, but I'd bet on it. As eeeefarm said, teach your children to stay out of her zone. That keeps them safe. A muzzle keeps other dogs safe.. or people who might get in the bite zone.

Please don't be inpatient with your B....my guy, Rickie, which I rescued at 1 1/2 was a MONSTER....but as others have written, follow thur with every issue the same way. I never use the word "no"...but instead I got in his face and loudly said "stop" and used my to fingers to touch his nose ...it worked, but it takes doing the same training the same way each time, not just you, but every member of your home. Rickie quickly learned I would not tolerate bad behavior...they are very smart and really do like a consistent life style and they she will also learn that you will protect her under any condition. My boy is praised every day by others who know Basenji's we take long walks. I use a "training" leash when I need him to stay close by my side ( stores etc), it clips around your waist and you are hands free. My Rickie is now 10 and am so happy I worked with him diligently on his behavior issues!!!
    Good luck with her.

• Training is great, but it helps to recognize when your dog is "over threshold", as in this state they are not thinking, just reacting. You need to anticipate situations and be alert to the signs to work with your dog effectively. Training has to take place when he is receptive to it, not when he is frantic and tuning you out. Appropriate distance from whatever is triggering him is crucial for learning to take place.

• @ember-the-basenji
    I relate to your comment about your basenji being aggressive towards white fluffy dogs. I wonder why these dogs attract their attention.

Suggested Topics