• While Hills Rx diets are life savers for dogs really needing prescription foods, you have a puppy and the need for ID seems rather extreme to me... and suspicious. If this is not a vet you simply adore, you might look around for one who doesn't jump to pushing rx food. I agree with Pat, Hills is simply nothing I'd use unless no other choice.

Second, I'd suggest getting off puppy food, period. Rather than going to an rx diet, getting the puppy on a no grain, low fiber should help. I love Fromm, but I never touch puppy food. With less bulk, the feces will be firmer and easier to push out. But walkers still walk, lol. It's just what they do, but hopefully less once the stool is firmer.

• @DebraDownSouth, I plan on telling my vet that it didn't work. Can you suggest any specific brand that carries no grain and low fiber? If not I can always google it and do some research! Thanks!

• @tanza, it is good to see that quite a few Basenji owners have this "walking" trait, it's relieving! Regarding her poop, it has been watery for about 3 weeks. She was eating Fromm Puppy Gold,. My breeder told me to transition to adult food around 6 months. I will look into the Probiotic!Thanks !

• @jamato - even Fromms has grain free, just go to their website...

• @jamato - You didn't say what the breeder was feeding and if you changed it , when.... by the way, like Debra, I have never used puppy food on my litters or pups... it is NOT need if you use a good quality grain free kibble... my litters/pups eat the same as the adults...

• @tanza, my breeder had her on Fromm Puppy Gold

• @tanza, @DebraDownSouth, I spoke to my vet. He told me to look into Orijen Adult Grain-Free Dry Dog Food. It looks like a good option, but since the both of you are more experienced with this breed, I would love your opinions. My breeder said that it is a wonderful food as well. If you guys say it's a better option, I will purchase it right away. With that being said, how do you suggest i transition my Basenji to it? This will now be her third food in a couple of months. Thank you for your assistance! You have been very helpful!

• To deal with the diarhea now, you could try adding some pumpkin (your vet should have suggested that). But changing diets will probably help in the long run.

• @jamato - It is a good food.... or you could just change to Fromms adult, I use Surf & Turf. However, that said and the fact that the diarhea started while on the same food that she was eating leads me to believe that there is something else going on then a food issue.
    As far as a transition, start by adding a few kibbles at a time, increase over about 2 to 3 wks.
    I don't have that issue (changing foods) as I change all the time... and my Basenjis are used to many different kinds of foods (for kibble always grain free) including veggies, fruits.....

• Like Pat, I rotate foods, give them some of most things I eat (just a bite or 2).. so changing foods fast isn't an issue. Right now, yes do it slowly. Origen is good. And yeah to the pumpkin suggestion.. a few spoons can help help firm up the stools.

Suggested Topics