Are Basenji's okay with Hamsters?

• We have an adorable Basenji mix. Our son wants a hamster. We aren't sure this is a good idea to get a hamster or not. Has anyone had this experience and can offer any advise?

• I would say, be careful. I walk by two rabbits in a cage outside a neighbour's house every day, and our lovely sisters lunge and scream every time.

• I think you are just asking for trouble... however if you do, be sure that the room where the Hamster is kept has a door and is kept shut tight.

• A Basenji would love a hampster! Oh, you didn't mean for lunch?? Seriously, good advice from tanza. Care will be needed. My first Basenji (after she had moved on to a new home) dispatched the neighbour's Easter Bunny. Talk about trauma for the kids.....

• We don't keep anything that low on the food chain anymore.
    -Joanne

• Short answer- NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basenjis are hunters and most will do anything in their power to get to the critters in their environment. Mine spend most of their outdoor time looking for chipmunks that live under the shed. If you decided to get the hamster it will have to be kept in a room where the basenji can't go. I have and do keep basenjis and small animals in the same house but they aren't allowed near them. I don't think they even know I have the geckos and snake!

Some dogs are fine with small critters but I personally would not let them near each other. It's not worth the risk in my opinion. Accidents happen in the blink of an eye!

Also, rats make much better pets for kids than hamsters. 😉

Suggested Topics