• O.k so I have 2 question first is it normal for a B to sleep so much. And yes he is very avtive and has had a busy weekend schedule. And second, does your B shake. Our B started shaking about 3 days ago. It's like a tremble, like when they are cold but I know he's not cold cause it's warm out. We touch his nose, it's wet and he's active. I told my husband I want to take him to the vet but he says it's not necessary. Am I being too concerned?

• How old is your B?… and shaking (or shivering which I think is what you are referring to) is a "warming" reflex... and just because you think it is warm, he may not... that is nothing I would worry about as long as all other things are normal, as eating, potty habits, drinking, etc...
    As far as sleeping... remember adult dogs to sleep 90% of the day... I know that mine do and always have... puppies sleep even more but in shorter spurts the adults sleep non-stop...gggg

• My two B's have two modes of existence: AWAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and asleep. Thank God, asleep happens a lot or I'd go insane! LOL

Dh often says, "My gosh I've never seen dogs that sleep so much." I tell him to shut up and not jinx me! LOL

Esp. with Keoki. There are many times that there's no one available to play with him and I have things to do, so I will actually sit on the couch and snuggle him for a few minutes just to get him to go to sleep so I can put him down and get my work done.
    If he were awake too much more, my house would be a mess and there'd never be a hot meal prepared here. LOL

On these beautiful spring days, they are awake most of the day outside w/the kids. Then by 7 or 8 PM, they are both tired and OUT COLD. They sleep wherever until 11 PM and I take them out for the last potty of the day, then they go into their kennels and sleep until 6 AM.

Have I mentioned how much I love Spring?

• Double Ditto!!! Jazzysmom

Me too me too!!!…I have to snuggle to put them down for their nap & then I tiptoe around the house to get stuff done lol lol 😃 :D:D

Altho if they get a REALLY good workout in the morning they are just out cold on the couch & I can do whatever :eek:

• @luzmery928:

O.k so I have 2 question first is it normal for a B to sleep so much. And yes he is very avtive and has had a busy weekend schedule. And second, does your B shake. Our B started shaking about 3 days ago. It's like a tremble, like when they are cold but I know he's not cold cause it's warm out. We touch his nose, it's wet and he's active. I told my husband I want to take him to the vet but he says it's not necessary. Am I being too concerned?

Shivering when it is warm could be a sign of hypothyroidism. Dogs who are low thyroid have trouble staying warm. But warm is a relative term. What do you consider warm? My basenjis generally seem to comfortable if the temperature is above about 68 degrees or so.

• He is 1 year a 4 months. He shivers not shakes and i mean warmer than before. He never used to do this and just started doing it a bout 3 days ago. He dosen't last long but I was still concerned.

• I mean it dosen't last long…the shivers

• What situations is he shivering in? Mine will "shiver in anticipation". So even on a summer's day when the catch sight of the lure they will shiver out of excitement at the prospect of chasing the bag.

• Since most of them do shiver at different times.. at least mine do, I would not worry much about it… next time he is to the Vet for regular "stuff" you might get a thyroid panel done.. just to see that his thyroid is OK

• I have one that sleeps ALL day long!Athough as soon as he is out for a walk or some place new he is really alert and active. I like this thread because sometimes I did wonder if he sleeps an unusual amout 'but it sounds like a basenji thing according to you guys.

• Yeap . I laugh because I complain about him driving me crazy when he is awake and now I'm like why is he sleeping.

• O.k so I'm back with other issues….The first one (for today) is that my dog has been starting to eat grass. Although he has no symptoms, no diarrhea, vomiting, I heard that if they eat grass it's because they have a tummy ache..is this true? Also he dosen't chew on just any grass, he sniffs around until he finds the "good" grass. O.k now for the second ?...my B has started to grow spots. He has them all over his belly and now are coming out on his neck area. They are brown spots (like a dalmation) and are only on the white colored area of his coat. Should I take him to the vet or does anyone else's B also have spots?

• My dogs eat grass, and always have. Keoki is particularly particular about which blades of grass he will eat. It does not mean your dog is ill.

What do you mean by "spots"? Is it the hair that is changing color, or the skin underneath…like big freckles? My B's have spots of black colored skin under the white hair. {maybe under the red too, but I can't see those, LOL} Theirs are only on the legs and belly, though, I can't imagine location makes a big difference.

• No it's spots, like a dalmation's, perfectly brown. Yes like freckles

• Most Bs that have white on them have spots..as a matter of fact the Basenji club we belong to has a contest each year on who's got the most spots & the strangest LOL 😃

My dogs are eating grass too…they don't know any better lol! And sometimes they will make themselves vomit when they've had too much...little buggers! 😃

• Do they get more spots with age? I was noticing int lots of the pics posted that they have freckles. I was thinking some might be "age spots" like humans sometimes get. Does anyone know? Nala has some freckles, but I was wondering if she was going to ge more…

• That's great to hear. Thanks so much for the reply.

• Dash has several spots and occasionally eats grass. I think they just like to eat it.

• Now we have soething alike my B and I. We say at home he has my husbands forehead (my H likes to frown when he's in deep thought), my daughter's ears (she dosen't find that one funny) and now he has freckles like his mom..lol

• luzmery, if you basenji is shaking there are a lot of things it could be….it was one of my signs that my basenji suffered from IPSID along with another disease.

she appeared to shiver like after a bath for no apparent reason. this was her way of dealing with pain. if yours does this, try feeding your basenji boiled chicken for a while and see if it stops. it is a good way to rule out the dog food.

eating grass can mean an upset stomach. my girl ate grass to make herself throw up because she had the above mentioned problem.

My boy b ate grass because other animals peed on the grass and it must taste great. eating grass is bad because it can transmit giardia which is an intestinal parasite that causes diahrea. both of my basenjis have had it and meds can fix it.

super easy to catch from dog parks, stray cats, dog walks....standing water outside.....mine always get it from eating grass...

a doctor can take a sample of the poop to test for it giardia.

shoot, it could be the AC...my basenjis are very temp sensitive....love it hot, hate it cold....

hope that helps a bit.....

Suggested Topics