Does my Stella have some Basenji in her?

• I adopted my pretty girl in February of this year. The rescue had her listed as a Corgi/Lab mix, but after doing some research I think she has characteristics leaning more towards Basenji/Dachshund. What do you guys think?

0_1466624708770_IMG_0945.JPG
    0_1466624751562_IMG_0241.JPG

• First Basenji's

She's beautiful! Unfortunately, it's really hard to tell what's in a mixed-breed dog based solely on appearance and even behavior. What exactly is leading you to suspect basenji? I can see she has some of the physical traits, but so do lots of other landrace dogs, like Canaan dogs and Carolina dogs. Not saying basenji isn't in there, mind you.

That said, if you want something a bit more definitive, you can try one of the Wisdom Panel DNA analysis kits. Some are sold in pet stores, while others are available online or through your vet. I think the simplest version gives you the likely ancestry of your dog based on her DNA, while the more expensive versions also test for various hereditary illnesses.

• said in Does my Stella have some Basenji in her?:

Corgi/Lab mix

I think more Corgi/Shepard mix

• How does she vocalize? Normal barking, or something more "Basenji like"? Other habits could also be indicators of Basenji blood. Simplest solution is the DNA test. Might prove interesting!

• She has the wrinkled brow, upright erect ears, white markings on feet, chest, and tip of curled tail. Her preferred way of communicating is a song-like low howl, although she can bark. She hates getting wet and her prey drive is HIIIGH. She is very reserved and cautious, although that might be due to her stray status before I adopted her. Others have commented that she looks like she has some Corgi or Shiba Inu in her, and while I do see it, I see more of the Basenji temperament in her.

I've asked her vet about the DNA testing, but I've been told that it is very unreliable, so I thought I'd ask other Basenji owners what they thought!

• From appearances it's hard to tell. I would have guessed Corgi before Basenji based on that, but the mannerisms often tell more than the physical appearance. I don't know how reliable DNA testing is at this point, but it might provide some interesting insight. I'd be inclined to try it if it's not too expensive.

• @xjole There are many, many dogs/breeds that have those characteristics.... she is very cute, but I don't see Basenji

• @xjole said in Does my Stella have some Basenji in her?:

She has the wrinkled brow, upright erect ears, white markings on feet, chest, and tip of curled tail. Her preferred way of communicating is a song-like low howl, although she can bark. She hates getting wet and her prey drive is HIIIGH. She is very reserved and cautious, although that might be due to her stray status before I adopted her. Others have commented that she looks like she has some Corgi or Shiba Inu in her, and while I do see it, I see more of the Basenji temperament in her.

I've asked her vet about the DNA testing, but I've been told that it is very unreliable, so I thought I'd ask other Basenji owners what they thought!

The Wisdom Panel DNA tests have been getting better every year, so it's not as much of a gamble as it used to be. That said, the test does best with a purebred, then with a two-breed dog (like a "labradoodle" or whatever), and worst with a total mutt. If your girl is indeed a mix of two purebred dogs, it might be worth a shot. Check your pet store or Amazon for the test; the one that vets give is the most expensive anyway and is only worth it if you want to know about hereditary health issues, too.

Suggested Topics