• I took my basenji to a vet opthamologist who did several tests. The HORNERS SYNDROME is caused by unknown reasons or thyroid shortage. I am choosing not to have more expensive tests and to put her on synthroid but try to treat her with diet and supplements. My sister recommended coconut oil and kelp. Sounds reasonable. Wondering if there are other things I can try. Iodine drops? She is not uncomfortable with the third eyelid issue and I just can't see going through all the tests they offered to do. The doctor was wonderful and very understanding of my position. Thanjs fir your help.

• @Abaihya said in Thyroid issues.:

I took my basenji to a vet opthamologist who did several tests. The HORNERS SYNDROME is caused by unknown reasons or thyroid shortage. I am choosing not to have more expensive tests and to put her on synthroid but try to treat her with diet and supplements. My sister recommended coconut oil and kelp. Sounds reasonable. Wondering if there are other things I can try. Iodine drops? She is not uncomfortable with the third eyelid issue and I just can't see going through all the tests they offered to do. The doctor was wonderful and very understanding of my position. Thanjs fir your help.

Have you had the thyroid tested? Before treating, I would suggest that a full thyroid panel is done.... I would not just "home treat" as you could make it worse... Thyroid panel is just a blood test.

• Thanks for you input. She has several observable low thyroid symptoms, skin turning dark, heat seeking, shedding. The vet wanted $500 for the blood test and a chest x-ray, continously monitoring if they put her on synthroid. This just isn't a possibility. That's why I want to try a natural remedy first. I sure don't want to make anything worse for her. Just need to try something.

• Why would you need a chest x-ray? A blood test for thyroid, full panel, is not very expensive (I get mine done for well under $100!).

Natural remedies for thyroid can be dangerous or simply totally ineffective. Thyroid medicine is CHEAP. Please, get a thyroid panel run and the right Rx.

• @Abaihya think you need a new Vet, no way should the Thyroid blood test be that price.... They draw the blood and it is sent out....

Suggested Topics