• So I had a appt to get my B (6 months) spayed and she went into heat last Friday night. Called my vet and she said it was ok to spay her during heat (and she is a really good vet, not some joe schome) but I've heard otherwise, that you should wait after she is done with heat. What do you guys think?

• Personally, I'd wait, but if you're not confident in your ability to prevent her from meeting up with intact male dogs, or if others normally babysit your puppy, you may want to go a head and have it done as scheduled.

• Hi there. I had the same problem with my girl. I had her fixed with no problems.

• I would say spay her between the first and second period of heat: in that way she will have an adult hormone balance instead of a juvenile balance.

• There are actually some studies that say that spaying during a heat can cause issues. But also, bleeding is worse, so why do it? If you can wait, absolutely wait. I checked about 6 vet sites and every single one suggested waiting until AFTER the heat unless you thought the dog might be pregnant or other serious reasons. This pretty much sums it up… and makes me wonder about your vet

Spaying a female dog while in heat does come with increased health risk. During heat, the dog's uterus enlarges with blood. Therefore, when the veterinarian does the surgery, the dog is more likely to hemorrhage. Most vets take precautions if they are spaying a dog that is in heat, but make sure to discuss this with your vet.
    Spaying while in heat is usually more expensive than spaying while not in heat. Therefore, you need to discuss with your veterinarian the increased costs. Some veterinarians will work with you to create a payment plan, but you still end up paying more in the end.
    Spaying while in heat also means that your dog will likely be under anesthesia longer. The longer a female dog is under anesthesia, the more likelihood there is that something can go very wrong. More dogs die when being spayed during heat than those who are not in heat.<<

I also had to go look up old correspondences because I vaguely remembered this talk with a vet friend, Dr. Laura.

Date: 4/1/00 12:16 AM Eastern Standard Time
    Message-id: 20000401001645.21145.00000285@ng-fn1.aol.com

Since dogs' ovaries are inactive much of the year, they generally show less detriment from lack of estrogen than people, who have constantly cycling ovaries. The only research I have seen, and I haven't seen original papers, just what is quoted from Dr. Karen Overall, is that female dogs who are dominant aggressive before they go into heat may show some reduction, or at least less progression, by going through one or two
    heat cycles. The current theory is that these super-dominant females were androgenized by contact with the hormones of a male pup during gestation; on rare occasions when their placentas develop some communication. those with retained ovaries will have no protection from breast cancer, will continue to cycle and create an attractive nuisance with male dogs, and are at risk for a stump pyo on the bit of remaining uterus near the cervix. The only
    benefit in that case would be pregnancy prevention. And, every dog I spayed who was aggressive during the heat only went to their normally sweet diestrus selves.

LDRS PETS LCdvm, (veterinarian)
    AOL Pets Community Leader
    Message Board Host<<

• This is a late answer but for someone who might read this in the future we will post it anyway. The risk is much higher to the animal and it certainly raises the risk the animal bleeding out. There is also more swelling. We were going to have our Show Basenji spayed this year. She went into heat slightly early and our vet said that we should wait until after the heat was over before he felt comfortable doing the spay for the reasons mentioned.

Suggested Topics