Corneal ulcer and general thoughts on a long term cancer surving dog. (long)

• It's so tough when you try hard and just keep getting bad news. My thoughts are with you.

• It's so hard when things get to this point. Just keep spoiling and loving her and realize you're doing all you can

• Not the news one hopes for. I am sorry.

• Well, looks like based on the last couple of nights. Its time for the poor girl. Still amazed at how lucky we are compared to many others with dogs that have cancer. Nearly 6 years from the initial diagnosis and surgery. Multiple relapses and being able to knock it back, all while most people would never have a clue there was anything wrong with her. (can't tell you how many people would ask how old she was and be surprised she was not a young dog, some even thought she was a puppy though they were probably not familiar with Basenjis)

When I started this thread, I thought she was a week or two from death and we got almost another year and a half. Again, while she still seemed in great shape.

But, the last three weeks have not been that good to her, especially the past weekend. I am taking her by the Vet School for them to have some time with her and this afternoon, she has her final car trip.

• So Sorry to hear…. God Speed little one... there are many that will welcome you to the bridge

• I'm terribly sorry to hear this.. but I'm glad you had the extra time with her. Every minute counts with a beloved dog, and she will always hold that special place in your heart. Run free, brave girl!

• I am sorry and sometimes the right thing to do is so difficult. You will be in my thoughts.

• Very sorry. Always a tough call, even when it is an obvious one. You never want to let them go…..

• I am so sorry. 😞

• Ugh, so tough every time I come across a post like this– it is heart wrenching. For all the extra time you got with her, good for you both. For all the care you gave her that allowed her health to remain as stable as it has, good for you both. Deciding the right time for her will be good for you both. It certainly has been a long journey and I am sure you will treasure the memories and take comfort in knowing that the life she lived was probably better than anyone else could've given her. So sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

• Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

Been a tough week for sure, but looking back, it was definitely time. As my wife said, until we can find a way to make Vampire dogs that live forever, we have to deal with this if we want the good times.

• First Basenji's

Just read this entire thread and my goodness!!!! What a wonderful load of memories you'll have of her, what a trooper! No words for feelings at this time, just prayers and time for your healing. But what a gal! indeed!

Suggested Topics