• I live in the suburbs (Niles) of Chicago, Illinois and I'm wondering if there's any Basenji owners out there willing to meet up with me! I will be adopting a Basenji in the next year or two and I really want to familiarize myself with this breed beforehand. I would really want to take in a Basenji and give it a forever home. I will be a first time dog owner and I can use any training and advice as I can get!!! Thank you in advance, I've been reading a lot of threads and I've got to say what a great place for support!

• Hi, Welcome. Hope you get to visit with a Basenji, nothing like meeting the real thing, but then you will be dying to get one. Read as much as you can as it does all help, but then when you get one you may be surprised how much better they are than their reputation, I was prepared for a little devil and got the opposite I think my boy is just a big darling. With a puppy you don't really know what you will get after choosing for health, temperament and breeder but with adopting a adult they say you get what you see. Good luck and be sure to let us know how you go and photos of course.

Jolanda and Kaiser

• Welcome to the forum!

• You might want to contact Karla Schreiber, she is in/near Chicago. New World Basenjis (newworldbasenjis@sbcglobal.net)

• "Hope you get to visit with a Basenji, nothing like meeting the real thing, but then you will be dying to get one. Read as much as you can as it does all help, but then when you get one you may be surprised how much better they are than their reputation"

that puts me at ease, thank you! 🙂

• Thanks for the info will do!

Suggested Topics