• I don't know what it is about the Fromm's. I wish I did. I see very little difference in ingredients between the Fromm Puppy and the Fromm Adult, and Ava thrived on the puppy food, but not the adult. It's frustrating– I know how you feel, Chealsie. Have you tried the Hill's a/d to try and get a little weight back on Oakley? It's gentle on their system and is higher calorie. It's made for dogs suffering from an illness/trauma or post-surgery. It was a godsend for Spencer when he was sick-- and the chicken breast/brown rice/scrambled eggs that Lisa suggested worked well, too. The scrambled eggs were his fave-- even Egg Beaters which you can microwave in a minute!

I know you're looking for a long-term solution for Oakley, but maybe the a/d or scrambled eggs mixed with kibble would be a good stop-gap? And for some reason, dogs that have issues with grains can have issues with dairy. I have found that with Ava. Yogurt and cheese don't agree with her. Pumpkin has helped her, however, and so has the FortiFlora. She has been on antibiotics almost constantly since I've had her, poor girl.

• If Oakley is having digestive issues, I would stay after from brown rice as it is harder to digest.

• I haven't tried the A/D diet…I asked the vet if she had a recommendation for either a prescription diet or a medium quality food that was grain free or limited grain and she didn't have an answer. She suggested since he's showing a slow but gradual intolerance in the ID to try the EN but that too is grain based...I like the idea of eggs to help with his coat...and he is gaining, I can no longer see his ribs or any prominences on his spine...at his peak condition he was 23.5lbs..he's currently 21.4 but he looks worlds better than at 19lbs. I will be sure not to cook him brown rice if we decide to again start cooking a bland diet for him. After surgery I used white rice and ground lean chicken or extra lean ground beef..but of course that wasn't providing any significant caloric intake. Even he seemed to get tired of it after awhile! Lol

I'm spending all my time looking at analysis breakdowns and trying to find similarities between the foods he doesn't do we'll on and the fromms specifically. It looks to be high in carbohydrates considering dogs don't need them...what I like about the natures variety instinct freeze dried food are the ingredients and the lower carbs (the protein while higher may be easier to digest in this form and its still much lower a protein % than day orijen frozen food..) and it contains a beneficial clay that helps with diarrhea or symptoms of IBD. At first I thought "clay??" But according to the two websites I listed I've been looking through they both seem to say it isn't a negative ingredient. Next is to do some independent researching of the item. If I do transition to that I'm wondering how to do the gradual transition seeing as one is a dry food and the other is a freeze dried medallion or patty..any thought?

• Anyone have anything good or bad to say about honest kitchen dehydrated food?

• I haven't used Honest Kitchen, but I am a fan of dehydrated food. I've used NRG for years with good results. Because you rehydrate it before feeding, I think dehydrated should be easier on the digestive system than kibble. Worth a try! 🙂

• The NRG website says its been compromised and they're rebuilding it. I'm having trouble trying to figure out feeding instructions..such as how much to feed per day. I'm trying to look at how long the boxes will last..mainly comparing between some foods. The instinct frozen is of course expensive..averaging approx 4-5$ a day depending on whether I choose medallions,bites,patties or chubs and I get between 8-16 days out of a package..I think with the honest kitchen it averages about 2.50$/day and ill get between 23-53 days… Ultimately, I know I'm going to be paying more (which I can deal with)..I'm just trying to grasp the concept of it since its foreign to me..

Dogfoodadvisor lists smack dehydrated as a five star food. ID never heard of it. It's 132.99 for a 7.7lb bag of food with 22cups at 1/2C a day..so for 44 days it breaks down to just over 3$/day. That estimate being the highest, other flavored work out to be about 2.35/day....but it looks funny to me.

• Sounds like feeding raw might be just as cheap… or cheaper, if you buy in bulk and on sale. I think Ava would prefer to eat raw all the time.

• I know lots of people that use it and love it… my C-Me however doesn't....

• I've thought about it Pamela!! I'm just worried I won't be able to provide a full and complete diet…

Pat- do you know what it was that turned C-Me off? The only honest kitchen recipe I would use is the Zeal ( which also happens to be the most expensive..lol). I read the smell can be powerful at times...

• I'm going to try raw with Elliot soon.. He is the world's pickiest eater!

• Ava gets raw at night, mixed with a little kibble. Tad started her on it, and I've been continuing. I've been adding select veggies and pumpkin. I, too, am worried about nutritional balance, but adding more raw and less kibble seems to be helping. Ava dances around on her hind legs, going crazy to be fed.

I've been researching this more and more. If you're interested, check this out:

http://basenjisisters.com/DietArticle.htm

This is from the breeder of Ava's grandmother, Cinder.

• Cinder ❤ Loved her. They also bred Cody's father Puff who is Elliot's great-great grandfather. 🙂

I was given the option to continue the raw and decided not to. I'm willing to give it a try if Elliot will eat it!

• @Chealsie508:

The NRG website says its been compromised and they're rebuilding it. I'm having trouble trying to figure out feeding instructions..such as how much to feed per day.

The suggested feeding is 1 cup (dry before re hydrating) per 20 lbs, give or take depending on the dog. Perry weighs about 24 lbs and I feed him between 2/3 cup and 1 cup, depending on how he looks to my eye and his activity level (less in winter!). He also gets Acana Senior in his roller ball…...the only kibble I feed, and only because it works well in the ball.

• @ownedbyspencer:

I've been researching this more and more. If you're interested, check this out:

http://basenjisisters.com/DietArticle.htm

This is from the breeder of Ava's grandmother, Cinder.

This article mirrors my own thinking on the subject. I would add, I have never had a Basenji that was a fussy eater…....even when the composition of food was not "on my radar" and I fed kibble I wouldn't touch today. We see so many problems in dogs, and increasingly in young dogs, that I personally feel are a direct result of feeding processed food. That is why I went to dehydrated, as it is minimally processed and still convenient.

Historically dogs got along just fine on whatever was left over from the family meal. And they didn't develop all the health problems we see today. Many dogs lived to a very old age. The average life expectancy was less, certainly, because more succumbed to accidents, but if such statistics were available to study, I think we would find potential lifespan has gone down, not up. Incidentally, I think the same is true in humans. I believe we have seen the peak, and my parents' generation will prove to be the longest lived. Food and environmental factors are already causing diseases in younger people that used to only be seen in old age. (e.g. type 2 diabetes!) Another potential problem is the wide spread use of GMO foods. As happened with cigarette smoking, the results of this world wide experiment may take many years to be revealed.

• I bought a box of honest kitchen last month and its hit or miss whether they will eat it. I don't plan to buy it again. There was another brand I used last yr that they liked better, I believe it was call DNA, but its no longer carried at pet food direct. They all like the raw diet I get at the pet stores, but do not show much enthusiasm when I try home made.

• Which one are you using Lisa? Elliot hates raw chicken. Worst "EW" face I've ever seen a dog make!

• Sleep deprived but one thing I need to add.

You have to feed massive yogurt to do as much as a spoon of probiotics. We had a pony we rescued with massive gut damage, watery diarrhea. Fastrack for horse saved her life. We had tried so many things, only drug left was so expensive that we were considering putting her down. Vet suggested trying it. Within 2 weeks she went from watery diarrhea several times a day to more firm poop. She still had an occasional bout but it was rare. I don't know why ANY vet wouldn't be fine with probiotics. They are researched, proven to help many, won't hurt, so very worth it.

• I tried the honest kitchen, Franie loved it, C-Me would not even smell it….

• I ordered a sample size of Honest Kitchen to see if Elliot likes it. He has to like SOMETHING!

We sold instinct froze at a petstore I used to work at. I never tried it out on my dogs though..

• Unless they are sick, they will eat when hungry, they will not starve themselves. IMO, what you are doing is to encourage poor eating habits….. I feed 2x's a day, put the food down, they have 10 minutes to eat, if not, gone till the next feeding. Mine have always eaten in 2 minutes or less..... if they don't, I know they are not feeling well. Or like you mentioned, sometimes the food will be off, especially near the end of a bag and depending on the weather. If I think that is the case, I will try a new bag of the same food.

Suggested Topics