• 5:34 the vet called to say they were heading into surgery. She said to expect an hour of surgery if things went simply…it's 7:15 and I haven't heard anything yet. I have been through an exhaustive day emotionally. Between his getting worse, needing surgery, the safety period afterwards to make sure his GI tract doesn't reopen, and me now having to be SUPER SUPER SUPER vigilant that he never again can eat things like paper towels rolls, toilet paper, stuffed toys...it's a lot to take in. Oakley is my world...I feel awful and guilty and miss him terribly. Hoping and praying for good news soon.
    Thanks guys- the support is needed and appreciated

On a funny note: the same ER vet is taking care of him that handled his xylitol poisoning, she knew right away when she saw him that it was Oakley- and she said last night he was up to his usual shannanigans of eating through his IV cords and causing a stir; today he felt too lousy to put up a fuss. I'm glad to know my boy has made a memorable impression on her

• Sometimes, they wait and get them settled in recovery and don't call right away. Most of us have been there and know how nerve-wracking it is! I'm sure you're exhausted, emotionally and physically, but hopefully, you'll hear good news soon. Maybe Oakley will even get to come home tomorrow. Young dogs heal quickly. And we worry and agonize so much more than they do!

Oakley certainly has had a memorable puppyhood and young adulthood!

Let us know when you hear. We're all thinking about him and wishing him well…

• Vet just called. Surgery went as well as possible. He did have an immediately life threatening blockage. At the end of his stomach into his intestines thy found a couple 1-2" segments of leash but the tough part was it was all attached by a 14" thread that weaved into the large and small intestines and stomach. It was very recent that the blockage became life threatening however his intestines showed bunching and bruising consistent with pulling from the thread so he is on and will come home with motility medication to get his intestines contracting and functioning again. The lucky part was the surgeon was able to manipulate the matter out of the intestines back into the stomach and then make the incision in the stomach. whats great about that is the stomach heals very quickly and it decreases the after surgery complications that come with opening the GI tract. He did well with the anesthesia and is awake and looking around. I'll get an update tomorrow between 10-noon. If they get him to eat without regurgitating and he is otherwise well she believes he young and healthy enough to maybe come home tomorrow night. He will come home with anti nausea meds, pain meds and the motility meds. He's to be on a bland boiled chicken or hamburger diet. She told me it could be several days before he poops and not to expect a solid stool. I'm taking Monday and Tuesday off work and am praying for good news tomorrow. The morning will bring a whole new level of security at home…my lockdown of items is going to get much tougher...Oakleys is a plotter and will go to amazing lengths to get into seemingly unreachable items, that's no longer an option...hoping to get some sleep, have a productive morning of preparing for my impish baby to come home.

I'll update tomorrow
    Thanks everyone, your supports been a great help

• Excellent news! So relieved!

Fingers crossed he gets to come home tomorrow. That would probably help both of you. In the meantime, hopefully, you'll get a good night's sleep and feel better in the AM.

• Hope so Pamela, it's been a whirlwind of emotions: guilt,worry, upset…you name it...my fingers are crossed, prayers spoken...

• Oh, Chealsie - having been through it all so recently, I do so feel for you…I hope your baby boy comes bouncing back tomorrow...rooting for you both....

• Oh I am so relieved. I know it's crazy, but I really feel like I "know" these puppies. I'm sure they will call early tomorrow and say "come get your dog NOW!!!" 🙂

• I hope so agilebasenji!!!

My father told me today I should have learned my lesson about never getting another basenji. I told him he didn't get it. Part of it is that he's a basenji but mostly it's because he's Oakley. He's the most determined, inventive, "Houdini"…imp I've ever come across. He is so smart and has so much fortitude to get what he wants...his complete unapologetic behavior is so endearing...I can't imagine ever getting a different breed of dog; perhaps the next time around I'll shoot for the other end of the basenji spectrum...lol, the easier version!! But i wouldn't trade him for a billion dollars. Many times he feels like the only thing I know I've done right in twenty five years...he is my love, my patience, my laughter and so much more!

• @Chealsie508:

I can't imagine ever getting a different breed of dog; perhaps the next time around I'll shoot for the other end of the basenji spectrum…lol, the easier version!!

Well, you're due. My first basenji was a difficult child. Horrible temperament, but we did love each other. My second was/is the most perfect dog to walk the face of this planet. That was, of course, my wonderful Digital the brindlewonderkid. Then came Jet the trying and then Zest! my superstar. So that will give you an idea of how my basenji history went. 🙂

• I.m a bit late but sooo glad everything sounds to be working out after Oakley's mishap, wow reminds me to keep an eagle eye on my boy they just seem to get into everything and it goes straight into their mouths, they are just so inquisitive. Hope he improves quickly and then you can relax a little, best wishes from Kaiser and me.

Jolanda and Kaiser

• First Basenji's

Thinking of you while Oakley mends and heals. Glad you were able to get him in quick!

• Good news!
    And maybe celebrate with a new leather leash.

• Thanks everyone for all the support and good wishes. It was a long sleepless night; I just can't seem to sleep soundly without a little boy laying on top of me!! I called last night before ten to get an update. The tech told me they ha him on a warm water bed to bring his temp up because it was still low (although creeping up)…she said he was being quiet ( totally not him) but that he was heavily medicated...she said he was looking around and once looked right at her while on the phone with me 🙂

It's going to be a looooong morning because I won't hear anything until around noon...I'm hoping they can successfully get him to eat and keep down food.

• have you heard anything yet? sending healing thoughts to you and Oakley. And honestly, it really is not just a Basenji thing, eating things they should not. I know a Dobe that the owners said they should just put a zipper in his belly as they were on their 3rd ER surgery

• @tanza:

have you heard anything yet? sending healing thoughts to you and Oakley. And honestly, it really is not just a Basenji thing, eating things they should not. I know a Dobe that the owners said they should just put a zipper in his belly as they were on their 3rd ER surgery

oh very true. ask any vet about rock eating labs!

• @Chealsie508:

Hope so Pamela, it's been a whirlwind of emotions: guilt,worry, upset…you name it...my fingers are crossed, prayers spoken...

I understand the vortex of emotions! But no need to feel guilty– you think you have everything out of reach, then they find a way. There is nothing Ava won't try to eat-- and nothing (so far) she can't find a way to get. I spend half of my waking hours digging things out of her mouth and the other half trying to find ways to keep them out in the first place.

I hope Oakley is recuperating quickly. I bet he'll be home tonight-- they'll be glad to spring him! Every Basenji owner knows that look of sheer relief that crosses people's faces when you arrive to claim your pup. I have had Ava practically shoved at me in their eagerness to unload her. 🙂

Healing thoughts and hugs to you and Oakley. Hope he's home and on the mend soon!

• Just called to get an update on Oakley. He got a lot of rest last night. This morning he started to act more like himself, jumping in his crate to try and reach IV cords, getting out of his e collar and bucking when the dr tries to check his heartbeat…they stopped pain meds and he's on an anti inflammatory...they tried feeding him without great success, he regurgitated. So the injection of motility medications last night wasn't good enough so they started him on a drip of motility meds to get his intestines functioning again...they also put him on medication for esopogeal irritation...they'll try to re-feed at three. If that goes well there's a chance of a late night discharge however our vet believes Oakley will likely need another night of supportive care, IV medications since he indeed seems to be slow to get his GI tract functioning again.

This is torture. Didn't sleep well...trying to get motivated to do chores, and prepare for oak to come home but it's hard if he's not coming home tonight 😞
    I know it's best for him to stay until he's ok, it's just hard! Good news is they didn't have to use any sedation meds today for his anxieties!!

I want my little boy back

• I am so glad to hear that he is doing better. Hopefully he can come home soon!

• Hugs.. and hope that he is home soon!

• Poor you, but it does sound he is getting excellent care - and more sleep than you are

Suggested Topics