This forum was the closest thing…nail trimming

• my questions are simple.

1. how do I trim his nails without causing pain?
    2. what took do you prefer using?

Thank you!

• I prefer the guillotine style; it takes about two minutes to clip all the nails, and they are cheap to replace. It can split the nail though…. or if you clip it at the wrong angle it makes the nails super sharp. I think I might be the only one in the world who still uses one though...

The other option is a Dremel.....this might be a better idea if your dog isn't good at sitting still, or if you're worried you'll cut too short.

The only thing that would cause them pain would be if you clip it into the quick....but easy to avoid if your dog has white nails.

The best way to start is wait until they are in a relaxed state start out by just putting the device on their nail, treat, then slowly work up to a clip or dremel, and then produce a treat. Repeat over time until they get used to it. You can get it to the point where they can just lay down while you take about a minute to clip all their feet, without a care in the world.

• I use the guillotine style as well, but I am cautious about how much to take, and I finish the nail with a nail file or emery board to smooth and round it off. I have done this with all my dogs. They don't love it, but they tolerate it.

• I use a dremel with the sanding band…. and love it.... would never use anything else

• Only a dremel for me

• Only a dremel, had awful experiences with other methods including clipping done by professionals (which looking back I can't imagine the professional part!)

• Dremel with lots of treats. I've used clippers on previous dogs, but have cut too short once and am always worried I'll do it again. My older B is to the point where he will sit and wait patiently while his nails are done, no treats or cuddles required.

• Does anyone else have a dog who clips their own nails?

I trim up Beo's edges every so often, but for the most part he chews off his own nail before I can cut it. Just curious if this is pretty common? It's not a compulsive nail chewing…only when they get little long he'll chew them off on his own., and then go back to sleeping.

• my Ninja trims his back feet nails but lets his front ones grow.. I assume for pouncing and digging.

• how do you know how short to go? that is my main question… and how is the dremmel better to prevent going too short than the clippers?

• Kaia will chew on her nails if they get a little long, but not enough to keep them from needing to be trimmed.

If the nails are white, then it's easiest to know how short to go. The pink in the nail is the quick and that will hurt if it gets cut, leave some white just before the pink and you'll be fine. If the nail is black and I was using clippers, I'd just take off a little bit and then file to smooth the edges. I prefer Dremel because it's easier to take it in steps and get the nail short while not getting too close to the quick. Keep in mind you can still go too short with a Dremel.

• And with the dremel, even if you get a bit close, you see it right away and can stop…..

• The dremel almost has a "safety feature" to not cutting too short. It doesn't take long at all before you get a feel for it and can tell that you are coming up to the quick. I've been doing it for three years and never cut a quick, if I get close, and ignore the slowing down of the dremel because it's getting to the quick..I always have Oakley to gently pull back his paw. In my experience it's very hard to cut into the quick.

• I used to use a guillotine style, but now exclusively use a dremel. You can shape the nail nicely with a Dremel and you can get a handheld one for about 60 dollars. You will get a feel for when you get close to the quick. When it starts to feel less hard like a nail and more gummy or soft you are getting too close. If you nick a quick with a dremel it will also bleed…that's too far, but you don't risk taking off a lot of the quick like you would using clippers. Think of the quick as the tip of your finger, you wouldn't want to cut that off!

• clipper or dremel….either way would recommend a product, if affordable, like "Kwik stop" (styptic powder) if you're afraid you'll cut it too short. Stops the bleeding pretty quickly supposedly.

• Don't really need Kwik Stop if using a Dremel, even if you get a bit close and get a bit of blood, the speed/heat of the sanding band is enough to Cauterize the nail and just about immediately stops the bleeding

• what pat just said is what I meant by saying its sort of a safety, it really does cauterize..but i still have powder at home, never had to use it

• Both my girls bite their nails - then ignore them until they are long again. The only ones needing care are the dew claws, which they ignore.

• I've never used anything but a dremel on my B's. I bought mine from PetEdge many years ago and I love the light it has built in. It is a plug in so I'd like to get a cordless one someday to have at shows.

• Tired dog is easier to trim nails, I do it in good light with a scissor clipper, used a guillotine with previous dog and him having had black nails would easily snip the quick so with Kaiser thought I would try the scissor type and have tried the pedipaws (but it hasn't got the power of a dremel so am looking to get one), just use it to smooth after snipping and then finish off with a nail file. If I am good and pedipaws regularly only need to take a little off and nail file after, the longer between trimmings the longer the quick gets so best to do a little every week and then it's just the very ends. I started off with a treat after each nail working towards a treat after each foot and if he is too squirmy will leave it to another time, you can't force them then it becomes a chore for you and the dog. Making sure nail trimming is done through puppyhood makes life easier.

Jolanda and Kaiser

Suggested Topics