Old senji person…..finally ready for a new one!

• Hi All,

I'm dating myself…..I go all the way back to the boys at Cambria Kennels. Have had several wonderful Basenjis over the years....but not for some time. We're now retired and moving into a "senji proof" place.
    My husband is not acquainted with the breed, but is a dog person and fascinated by my accounts of these eccentric little guys.....and so ready to welcome one into the fold.
    Now.....to find a good breeder and a new kid that fits in with us characters. I've warned him about their unique personalities and he says they sound a lot like us.......with a weird sense of humor......and gentle but alpha personalities.

So hoping for suggestions in finding the right breeder and litters planned in the next year or sooner. I'm partial to the tri or brindles, but temperament is obviously most important. Also more low key and cuddly would be nice as we're no kids anymore.....but we understand that a senji is a senji is a senji......An adult would also be a possibility. I rescued my first Basenji from the POUND and she was a jewel!

Thanks and best wishes,

Wanda & Chuck Carroll (in CA buts lots of experience with shipping)

• "https://www.basenji.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=111&Itemid=94 "

Basenji Club of America (link above) has a list of wonderful breeders. Not sure if you're looking for a puppy, young adult, or older adult….but breeders sometimes have 'retired' dogs available that would be what you're looking for. You may have to look to surrounding states if you're looking for something specific though - gender, color, personality. CA should have plenty of options though, and you really shouldn't have to ship far - if at all.

For puppies I would definitely start contacting a bunch of different breeders and inquire about the pairings (parents) and such months ahead of time. There are definitely laid-back basenjis out there not all of them are high energy, or always set on being destructive.

Breed specific rescues can be tricky, but there may be some rescue basenjis in your area as well that are waiting for homes in regular pounds, or being given away by individuals who can't handle a basenji anymore....just another angle to look at (petfinder.com).

• Welcome… and good luck in your search! I'm from SoCal, and my last Basenji had Cambria dogs back in his pedigree.

Have you checked with Karen at the Medfly Brigade in L.A.? They have several young Basenjis looking for quiet homes. If you want a puppy, there are some excellent breeders in CA and several are on this forum. Perhaps they can advise you on upcoming litter plans.

• Hi Wanda,
    We will be expecting a half-Avongara litter in the spring… will expecting reds and tris. You can check out our Khani's Basenjis FB page.. or our own website.

Kathy

• You might want to check out Basenji Rescue & Transport for rescues/adults.

http://www.basenjirescue.org/

I've had five Basenjis over the years, some I raised and some were adults. Current boy has the best house manners of any I have had, and I got him at 3 years old from his breeder. He has a few quirks, but he's very reliable around the house and not at all destructive.

• @Cambriaprotegee:

Hi All,

I'm dating myself…..I go all the way back to the boys at Cambria Kennels. Have had several wonderful Basenjis over the years....but not for some time. We're now retired and moving into a "senji proof" place.
    My husband is not acquainted with the breed, but is a dog person and fascinated by my accounts of these eccentric little guys.....and so ready to welcome one into the fold.
    Now.....to find a good breeder and a new kid that fits in with us characters. I've warned him about their unique personalities and he says they sound a lot like us.......with a weird sense of humor......and gentle but alpha personalities.

So hoping for suggestions in finding the right breeder and litters planned in the next year or sooner. I'm partial to the tri or brindles, but temperament is obviously most important. Also more low key and cuddly would be nice as we're no kids anymore.....but we understand that a senji is a senji is a senji......An adult would also be a possibility. I rescued my first Basenji from the POUND and she was a jewel!

Thanks and best wishes,

Wanda & Chuck Carroll (in CA buts lots of experience with shipping)

We will be planning a litter Fall of this year, Reds and Tris expected. You can check out the details on our website, link below.

Be sure to check health testing, especially DNA testing for Fanconi and PRA. And be sure to check the results for yourself. If you have the sire/dam's registered name or registration number, you can search for health testing at www.offa.org All Basenjis that are DNA tested for Fanconi and PRA have their results listed, it is not optional. So if they are not there, they have not been tested.

• Thanks all for your friendly advice….I will be following up on all!

Best Regards, Wanda

Suggested Topics