Any advice on getting another Basenji?

• Myself and my partner have a 3yr old Basenji (Kai) and we are wanting to add another one to our little pack, either a puppy or by adoption, we have contacted medfly (not heard back yet) already and are looking in the California area too.

Anyhoo!

Kai is spoiled, he totally has "only child syndrome" loves his treats and attention and we are curious to know what peoples experiences have been with adding another Basenji to a household that already has one.

Also, I have read that it's best that if you are going to have two Basenji's that you have 1 male and 1 female, is this true or just an old wives tale of sorts?

Thanks!

• It's definitely not an old wives tale about getting the opposite gender when adding a second Basenji, there are breeds that have a lot of same sex aggression, and the Basenji is one of those breeds. Of course there are many examples of 2 of the same sex getting along, but it would be best to play it safe and get Kai a girlfriend.
    -Joanne

• agreed on the male/female thing, however, be aware that the female will probably end up running the household.

• @SpoliedKai:

Myself and my partner have a 3yr old Basenji (Kai) and we are wanting to add another one to our little pack, either a puppy or by adoption, we have contacted medfly (not heard back yet) already and are looking in the California area too.

Anyhoo!

Kai is spoiled, he totally has "only child syndrome" loves his treats and attention and we are curious to know what peoples experiences have been with adding another Basenji to a household that already has one.

Also, I have read that it's best that if you are going to have two Basenji's that you have 1 male and 1 female, is this true or just an old wives tale of sorts?

Thanks!

Not a "old wives tale"… rule of thumb, opposites are the best match... have you contacted any breeders yet? If you are considering a puppy, best now to get to know breeders and if a match... line yourself up on their reservation lists. Most breeders are just now thinking about their breeding plans for the Fall.

If you get a puppy, there is a large adjustment period as the puppy will be a puppy and all over the adult... it is the time an adult will teach that pup "manners" but you will think someone is being killed ... LOL... but it is all noise and the adult teaching things like soft bite... and "hey.. don't bother me"... it passes quickly once the pup figures the signals out from the adult.... with bring in an adult, adjustment can be different depending on how the react to each other.

• @giza1:

It's definitely not an old wives tale about getting the opposite gender when adding a second Basenji, there are breeds that have a lot of same sex aggression, and the Basenji is one of those breeds. Of course there are many examples of 2 of the same sex getting along, but it would be best to play it safe and get Kai a girlfriend.
    -Joanne

Yes, right…. as we say... it works till it doesn't.... best to take the high road and get opposite sexes

• Let me add that it is true of MOST breeds. Many breeds, however, generally same sex get along. Not so much with basenjis. In fact if you have someone trying to tell you it's an old wives tale, run from them as fast as you can. 🙂

Next advice… get your dog tested for Fanconi if you haven't already. Please. The earlier you KNOW the better chance you have of keeping your pet healthier. If you got this one from a breeder, contact the breeder to get it's parents' AKC numbers or proof of Fanconi testing. If they are both clear, or only one a carrier or affected, you don't have to test your dog as it cannot have Fanconi. If you can't get proof, then do the DNA test.

THEN make sure you have proof that the puppy or dog you get is either clear or a carrier. .. or read up and make SURE you are willing to follow the protocol and take care of an affected dog. I have no idea if Medfly tests... but nearly all breeders do and Camp Basenji in FL does. Often breeders may have an adult or older puppy to place if your heart isn't set on a puppy.

Good luck and post pictures! 🙂

• Our first B was a female rerscue, previous owners didn't know or understand Basenji's so she was a total basket case when we got her. After me spoiling her rotten for almost 3 years we adopted a 2yo male from BRAT. Mr Baroo and Bitty declared an armed truce, wirh Bitty doing the leading. Then this last summer we adopted anoher male, supposedly almost 2 years old, however developmentally he was more like 10 or 12 months, Mr Baroo adopted him immediarely as his best buddy, which satisfied Bitty, totally. So, after all this, our opinion is that when adding a new B to the family it is best that you get the opposite gender, then if you want to adfd another it really dosen't matter the sex, but the first 2 should be opposites.

• Thanks for all the advice guys, I have convinced my partner that getting Kai a sister is the best thing to do:)

Speaking of fanconi, we actually ordered Kai's 3 year DNA test kit thingy a couple of days ago 🙂

• We added a puppy in January as a playmate for our 1 yr old boy. Loki has always loved dogs so we knew adding another would go over well, it was just the matter of making sure we had the right one. At first we thought we were getting a boy as the breeder was debating between our now tri girl and a few of the red male puppies. I think with Loki, the right male still would have worked, but Kaia is the better fit, just because she is not in any way a pushover and makes sure Loki gets as good as he gives.

Loki still goes all "Mr. Grumpy" when he's getting cuddles from my husband and I and does not want Kaia stealing his attention and she does the same thing, but they have bonded so well that I couldn't imagine not having Kaia. They make the craziest noises when fighting over a toy or antler. It can get very, very loud and sometimes cause you to shake your head and wonder just where that sound came from. But you will definitely laugh!

• We got Lela as a pup, and when she was 8 months we got her older sister Binti whom she already knew as Binti lived with the breeder.
    From a few adaptive things to be expected, it went very well.

• I got 2 females, looks like already they get well along, but sometimes not so well. Be safe and get the opposite..

Suggested Topics