• I heard that B's (because they are such wonderful little chewers) have tendencies to ruin those fairly quickly by chewing through them. I personally have only used crates but Alani is a nervous car rider and even blankets that I keep in the crate are torn to shreds when we go for car rides. But I'm sure some would probably be fine in the harness???

• I know some people have been able to successfully use a harness but many basenjis will chew their way out.

As for the head halter for walking, it works for some basenjis but not for others. If you do use it, you should also still train loose lead walking because there may be a time when you don't have a halter on hand.

• Just wanted to share something with everybody…I am a psychotherapist and last night in one of my groups, I described my first week with Rowdy, the agent of mass destruction. The whole group was in stitches, and one woman, after wiping the tears from her eyes and getting her breath back, said, "You have enough material with that dog to start a standup comedy routine!" So I can imagine what comedic material people who have had years of experience living with Basinjis could have. When Rowdy is out in public, people say how beautiful he is and they'd like to have a dog that doesn't bark. Not barking is the only positive behavior I've seen so far to recommend Rowdy--well, not really, because one has to love him in spite of his "evil" ways. When all his rowdiness is over, and he's settled in his bed, he's very sweet and loving.

• You are scaring me even more!!! Please tell me some sweet and good little boy stories about Rowdy!!

• Hmmm…I'm thinking very hard. There must be something...He is very loveable, and kind. He gets along with Zorro who is always bossing him around. He looks up at me adoringly when he puts his head on my leg for some lovin' He's much better riding in the car now, staying in the back seat, and not zooming around like a f a r t in a punch bowl any more. He will sit, down and come on command if you have a treat. He settles down nicely now after dinner and has stopped trying to pull the comforter off my bed and eat it. He's a very good boy when we go to bed, and doesn't chew anything up or chew his leash in two. He's not food aggressive, nor is he aggressive if I take something I don't want shredded out of his mouth. He really is a good boy--he's just VERY ACTIVE AND BUSY. You have a nice big yard and he can run more of his energy off when he gets to your house. I've noticed after we get home from the dog park, he is much better behaved because he's had a good run and worn himself out. There...does that help some? Don't be too scared; you too will soon have funny stories to regale friends and family with.

• Sounds totally like a normal Basenji boy to me…gggg... and yes they are quite the characters... but in a great way... if nothing else they will make you laugh.... and that is the best!!!!
    Don't be scared... LOL.... you are in for the time of your life!!!!

• Oh and as we say, A tired Basenji is a Good Basenji!!!! My oldest male who will be 16 on September 9th.. is still a nut case… and he still make us laugh... granted he is not as active as when he was 12 and younger.. but he still can and does silly things... and can still get in trouble!

• I feel a little better now… At least it sounds like he learns as he goes along. Are basenjis like Miniature Pinschers? My mom had a minpin who got into scrape after scrape, including getting stuck under the storage shed having chased a ground squirrel under there, and she had to be rescued by sawing a hole in the shed floor and lifted out (she was so happy!). Do basenjis try to kill their prey? I'm thinking of all the squirrels and bunnies in our half acre back yard. I'll have to spread the news: there'll be a new sheriff in bunnytown. 🙂

• Basenji do and will kill prey… no doubt there... and like MP? Well they don't bark like a Min Pin (thank goodness!)

• I must add to all this that I've had my share of hair pulling and I've even broken down and cried over some issues I've had with my B. I've felt desperate at times and as if I would never be able to train or manage my B. But these feeling don't last longer then a few minuted because then here comes champ with his big brown eyes and wrinkly forehead and looks at me like what mommie, I'm just alittle wild but I'm good too and he is. I love how he never stops me from kissing him even if he seems to have had enough or how he loves to snuggle inbetween my husband and I. How he lays on my daughter when she is trying to study and falls asleep. He's now doing the crate thing 100% and sits on commands. The list go on and on. They are a handful but the reward I've received for having him goes a lot farther then those silly tears or moments of despair.

• Very well put Luzmery928!

• Yea, I have my B stories as well, Sahara has broken, chewed up alot of my things. I think all my T-shirts have these little holes in them, my toes get eaten up at times, but these things are just things, I wouldn't trade the laughing, joy and love that I have received from my Sahara for a million things. I have never had or seen a more loving dog, she is the best!!!!

• You know, as I think about it, after having read Young and Tired's message, Rowdy's actually pretty good. I had a 2 yr old Corgi for a while, and she was a lot worse than Rowdy. She barreled through all my screens on my sliding glass doors, ate my sheets and bedspread, ate my T-Shirts and bras, broke every bit of decorative things on my patio until I glued them to stepping stones with Gorilla Glue, banged head first into the back of my knees, knocking me down, sat out in the back yard and barked for no reason, etc. She was a canine jugernaut! She was also an escape artist, and would take off, Zorro in tow, and end up at the animal shelter, where I would have to bail them both out. Finally, I found a home for her through the Corgi Rescue, and she went to live with a wonderful retired woman who had two acres of fenced land, and 3 other dogs. Lucy, the Corgi, loves it there. Anyway, from my experience, Corgis are worse than Basenjis. She was adorable though. I took her to training class, and she would be brilliant there, but when she was off leash, she was a nightmare. Corgis are a herding breed and they have to have a job. She just didn't have enough to do at my house. Oh, yesterday at the dog park, I finally saw Rowdy play. Zorro talked him into a good go-around. I also tried Rowdy out in the car with the harness, and it worked great. He doesn't seem to be much of a chewer.

• I'm glad to hear you think Rowdy is less rowdy than Lucy was! I'm glad he plays, too, as Jenny will enjoy that.

Suggested Topics