9mos..biting really bad…will not listen..

• Trog chewed on my ankles and wrists for a good nine month despite giving him as much play as I could to wear him out, I finally got him a couple whippet playmates as our 13 and 14 yr old basenji ignored him, that worked to help him grow beyond the chewing stage. Gambit is nearly 4 and still nibbles on the necks of all the other dogs to initiate play, its a gentle nibble with the mouth almost closed, but can be pretty anoying. You just have to continue to work with her and channel her energy elsewhere.

• @eeeefarm:

I am laughing because I have seen many, many instances of people not understanding that their dogs are only tolerating, not enjoying, unloved attentions.

Those are idiots who are not going to get it ever, so obviously even saying "unless you dog hates it" wouldn't have helped.. would it? And btw, no joke. It took my years to train the x to STOP hugging the Rottweilers because he stupidly figured if they LET HIM they liked it. Sigh.

• @lisastewart:

Trog chewed on my ankles and wrists for a good nine month despite giving him as much play as I could to wear him out,

Cara is extremely mouthy. She liked to hold my arm or hand in her mouth as she went to sleep, sometimes creepily rubbing her tongue against me. She has always done play biting but she has the softest mouth ever. It is rare for her to ever put enough pressure to make a indention even in her wildest playing. I am okay with that. I had one dog before her, a Rottie, who wanted to hold you. I didn't let on lead, but did while just sitting with her. But I'd look out to see Larry leading her down the road, him holding the leash, her holding his hand in her mouth. I figured her leading him was okay.

Suggested Topics