I have ''issues'' with my basenji, can you help ?

• Brindles are not really rare… it all depends on what breeders are breeding. A few years ago there were many Brindles being bred. Seems to run in spurts....

• @Ladybasenji:

Thank you very much agilebasenji
    Ill definitely try these toys since i think its a good idea and they are quite cheap. Love it.
    Unfortunately I dont store Lady's food in the original bag so i dont have the brand of the food, but ill go to the pet shop soon to see whats the brand. Ill take a picture to show you what it is. The pet shop owner told me this was the best food i could get for her. I sure hope so for 80$ a small bag.
    Can i see pictures of your basenjis somewhere on this forum ? Lady and I would love to see them.

I plan to visit the dog breeder from where Lady came from in the summer with Lady so she can see her friends.
    She doesnt have lots of occasions to see some friends and she didnt see a Basenji since she left the place where she was born.
    Do you think its a good idea ? Id love to see her running with her kin .

BTW is there many brindle basenji owners here ? Shes a pure blood but it seems that brindle is more rare ? Is that correct ?

Brand of food isn't so important with the food toys, but some people feed canned food or home cooked or raw food, which obviously would not work with the food toys. There are many good brands of food out now. I believe Orijen is a very good Canadian food, but it's hard to find here in the US and very expensive. My basenjis seem to do very well on dog food that does not have grain in it. My brindle basenji and my tri colored basenji both lived to 16 1/2 years old.

You can see pics of my dogs here:
    https://www.basenji.org/BasenjiU/Activities/Agility/AOb/stacles.html
    the dogs on the table are not mine but the other pics are of my dogs. The brindle dog is Digital the brindle wonder kid, who had over 30 titles when he passed away last year. The tri is Jet the trying and he had a number of titles too (just not as many as Digital) and he passed away last May. The red girl is Miss Zest! THE princess, who will turn 8 this December and is very much still with me.

and video of Miss Zest! and me
    https://www.basenji.org/BasenjiU/Activities/Agility/Your/AManuevers.html

I think you will enjoy getting to know Lady's breeder, but Lady may or may not enjoy meeting other basenjis.

I agree with Pat, brindles are not really considered rare, but some colors are more popular in some parts of the world than others. I'd think where you are any basenji would be unusual.

• agilebasenji, thanks so much for the link. Great pictures of your guys doing agility! 🙂

• Because of where she came from it is unlikely she was taught effectively how to be potty trained. It also sounds like anxiety- both separation anxiety (when u leave the house) and confinement anxiety (being restricted in terms of accessible space)… hence why she was ok being left in the house alone but not locked in a bathroom. My oakley has both of these "anxieties". This is my takeaway after dealing with it for four years: the peeing and pooping while loose is related to the separation anxiety: even leaving for a second (say to take the trash out) sparks this and her response to stress is to go to the bathroom. The tearing up of things is the transferred anxiety she feels, taken out on whatever she can reach..it's not for the sake of being destructive. The grabbing things from the crate is based both on confinement anxiety and separation anxiety: "you left me and I'm anxious about it therefore I will get to anything I can reach to relieve my anxiety. Oakley has made incredible progress with both but even at four he MUST be crated for his own safety and for the sake of destroying my house.

I also believe the anxiety is linked to the throwing up. I have this same problem. He only does it when in his crate but I come home to dried throw up in his crate a couple times a month...no other symptoms..not sick..and I was at first worried but I've chalked it up to being anxious, working himself up and throws up. Like others have suggested- empty stomachs can be a factor in this but I already feed my boy three times a day to avoid this and he still throws up.

What your dog has been through previous to your ownership is what has shaped how she acts and behaves...her anxieties are likely the result of improper raising, lack of attention and being cooped up all day and night. Transitioning will take TIME, CONSISTENCY, POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT and MORE TIME! Because this is your first dog I would suggest seeking advice from a behaviorist. Set yourself up for success early on and you will benefit for the rest of her life.

• Right, I understand my dog better now with all the help i got on this forum.

I'd love to find a trainer that is used to basenjis , but since these dogs are not common here, i may have to go to another city to find a real trainner. Im thinking that a regular dog trainer won't necessarily be able to deal with Lady. Im I wrong ?
    Id also love to visit the place where Lady came from (dog breeder), im guessing they will have some good advices for me and they will be able to hook me up with a good trainner for these dogs.

Lady is really not that bad at all these days.
    I used the info i got on this forum and Lady definitely improved in her behavior.
    Now when she steals something, i trade it for a toy and shes happy to trade it.
    I place my valuable items far away from her reach so thats not a problem anymore.
    She still steals some socks and shoes and things, but oh well, not nearly as bad as before.
    The owner is part of the problem too i guess.

The only real problem she still has is : When I come back from work, i take her out so she can do her *1 and *2.
    If i take her back in and I go back out for a few minutes, i come back with pee on the floor.
    I guess that, as many said here, its a anxietie issue.
    She thinks im going away or something and her reaction is to pee.

The thing i dont understand is :
    If i dont work tomorow and i wake up in the morning, ill take her out for a *1 and *2.
    We go for a walk, we go back in and we play for like 2 hours.
    After the 2 hours of playing, i go out for any reason for a few minutes, and i come back with no pee on the floor and no damage at all.
    She is usually sleeping on the couch.

My understanding of it is :
    When shes alone when im at work, shes anxious. I come back from work, shes very happy, we go outside together and then i leave her alone again (just for a few minutes).
    She thinks im leaving her and she pees on the floor.
    But when we play on a different day, and I go outside, shes not anxious and knows im comming back so she doesnt pee.

The thing is, this dog seems to be incredibly intelligent and emotionally dependent. I guess that she's like that because i'm the only one who take really good care of her since she's born. I'm also the only person in her life who did not abandoned her. And im the only one who give her love.
    I'm also with her every day and I play with her every day and we go for walks together every day and she sleeps with me every day.
    So I understand the causes of her behaviors now.

She's just an emotionally dependent really clever dog who do everything she can to grab the attention of the only person who love her. A dog that panic and become anxious when she's alone and i'm not with her because she doesn't want me to abandon her.
    Very understandable.
    Perhaps time is going to show her that my intention is to love her and take good care of her until her last days.

• First Basenji's

Your English is just fine! anyway, I am commenting on the stuff that you say she 'chews'. when you think of what they have in common, it is your scent. ears, hands, your handling of the mouse and tv control has your skin cells on them and she equates these with you! Whom she misses when you leave!!! Her pee/poop could be nerves from a form of separation anxiety. There is a lot of info out there on the internet, or you can hire a professional for insight. Too long to comment here. but here is a start: http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/store/I-ll-Be-Home-Soon.html

Also, you got a dog from a previous owner who did not know how to treat a Basenji, so you are getting some of the results of that poor household. It is not easy, it will take time and patience and persistence on all your issues. Seems like you and your girlfriend are very good for her, keep at it, and it will pay off. I know I did not give any 'advice' for the things you are having problems with, but as with my little rescue boy Uzie, he too was kept in a small crate for most of his early life all day long. It took me about 9 months for his neurotic pacing behavior to improve about 98% (when he is nervous, he will still go in counter clockwise circles). Exercise and mental stimulation are the #1 remedy, and patience….! instead of just giving her meals in a bowl, make a game of hide and seek, or 'go find' (in boxes, behind tables, etc) or hand feed after she sits or goes in a down for obedience training, and there are food puzzles you can get on line or at pet stores. the best for Uzie was a ball that he had to bat around for intermittent rewards! http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=iq+treat+ball&tag=mh0b-20&index=pets&hvadid=4968245614&ref=pd_sl_2ts1klunzn_e (sorry for pasting Amazon, but it was the first search link to come up….probably can find it anywhere...)

• Great work!

I find that the more I learn about dogs and B's, it is like they sense that immediately and respond in a positive way: "good job, human of mine, you're not there yet, but it's something…".

I'm not sure if it was mentioned already in this thread, but I found it extremely helpful to learn about calming signals between dogs, that can be used by humans also. A good start would be http://www.amazon.com/Talking-Terms-Dogs-Calming-Signals/dp/1929242360/ref=asap_B001JOTYTO_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417624365&sr=1-1 Turid Rugaas is a world expert on the subject.

To give an example: looking straight into a dogs eye is generally experienced by a dog as not so polite, overbearing or even threatening (depending on the context). Every evening after dinner, Lela is looking for a lap to jump and snuggle on. When I invite her with my voice and direct eye contact, she hesitates, looking uncertain. When I make my eyes soft (like out of focus) and look away from her in a calm motion, she immediately jumps on my lap. it's that subtle.

Another example: when they are excited and run around, just lying on the floor will bring them towards me, and they will lie down with as much body contact as they can get. No voice or other corrections needed.

• I'm amazed by the quantity of quality information I got on this forum.
    Special thanks to kjdonkers and Buddys Pal for the last 2 answers.

The books you guys linked are just awesome. The descriptions of the books are amazing and thats exactly what i need (it's almost like if the author wrote it for me XD )

I didnt know that the eye contact was an ''issue'' , that explains lots of things :p
    I have yet to learn MANY THINGS about dogs in general and basenjis in particular.
    These books are going to help me considerably.

I want to thank everybody for the time you took to read my extremely long posts and to make the effort to understand my terrible english
    That means alot to me.
    Me and Lady will never be able to thank you enough.
    I will keep you updated on her progress and i'll post pictures when we visit her dog breeder 🙂

Special thanks to agilebasenji, dropit, eeeefarm, kjdonkers, Chealsie508, Buddys Pal
    You guys are amazing to take some of your time to help and share your knowledge with people like me who are new to the dog world 🙂

• Glad to be of help.
    And remember - how much other humans may tell you - Lady will be your biggest teacher.
    Enjoy.

• @kjdonkers:

Glad to be of help.
    And remember - how much other humans may tell you - Lady will be your biggest teacher.
    Enjoy.

Exactly right! Our Basenjis don't always read the same books we do. What works for one may not be right for another. Lady will definitely tell you when you are on the right track. Training can be fun! 🙂

• This has been a very interesting thread to read. Praise to Ladybasenji for his dedication and overwhelming love to his new found Basenji even with the challenges.

Everyone has addressed all of Lady's behavioral issues but I saw one larger issue has gone unaddressed. Here's my little bit of advice.

Try to get your girlfriend on board with loving Lady just as much as you do! Don't let her give up on Lady! If she's spending time with Lady in her presence at all, then you all will benefit from her being an equal part of everything! Try to get your girlfriend to understand that not only is Lady a Basenji which is the "anti-Lab" breed (complete opposite of the "normal" dog/Labrador Retriever, German Shepherd, etc., the dogs your girlfriend is use to)…Lady is also a dog that has never had much structure until coming into your home. Any dog would need help in that situation but especially a wild Basenji! Don't put Lady between your girlfriend and you, or your girlfriend between Lady and you. The challenges of training Lady and convincing your girlfriend to love her will strengthen both your relationship with Lady and your girlfriend. And I'm sure seeing the two ladies in your life bond would be very satisfying for you as well!!!

• First Basenji's

Kuddos to you Coloradical for pointing this out! yes, if your girlfriend lives with Lady, then she has to be 100% on board too! once she starts to play or train with treats or some special time that she can share with Lady, she will fall in love with this anti-lab breed! Basenjis are addicting! your thanks for the info was very touching! You are SO WELCOME! thank you LadyBasenji for your graciousness and your dedication to you new little special girl! (PS: your English is just fine!!!) toute l'heure!!!

• Ladybasenji, where are you in Quebec? Montreal? We have a place in Gatineau (Aylmer sector) and one of my dogs might even be related to yours. You're experiences with your girl remind me so much of my first basenji, about 20 years ago–it gets easier, I swear! Let me know if you'd like help with Lady--they're nothing like labs and will never be "obedient" but there are tricks for training them : D

Suggested Topics