Pups at Dog Auction Today-2/16/13

• This is why one needs to research the breeder of the pup. I did not see these pups on the list when I last looked at it so I think they were added recently. I have asked if these were rescued and by whom (which rescue(s). This breeder is selling pups at an auction at 8 weeks of age-DOB-12/17/12. These pups are ACA registered not AKC registered. Non AKC registered dogs are a big red flag to me!

Here is the auction catalog at Heartland Sales located in Cabool, MO:

100A BASENJI - M - 12-17-2012
    ACA PUPPY PAPERS
    BLACK/WHITE 1.00
    100B BASENJI - M - 12-17-2012
    ACA PUPPY PAPERS
    BLACK/WHITE 1.00
    100C BASENJI - M - 12-17-2012
    ACA PUPPY PAPERS
    BLACK/WHITE 1.00
    100D BASENJI - F- 12-17-2012
    ACA PUPPY PAPERS
    BLACK/WHITE 1.00
    100E BASENJI - F- 12-17-2012
    ACA PUPPY PAPERS
    BLACK/WHITE 1.00
    100F BASENJI - F- 12-17-2012
    ACA PUPPY PAPERS
    BRINDLE/WHITE 1.00

Jennifer

• Very sad Jennifer

• Here is the response from someone who attended the auction:

"The basenji puppies were very tiny, and all were reported by the attending vet as having grade 4-5 knees. The 3 males sold first, and went for $150 apiece. The 3 females brought $375, $400, $375."

I have asked if any rescue was able to get any of them and for more info-sire and dam and the seller. I do know there is a line that came from TX that have luxating patellas and some of the offspring were sold at previous dog auctions. The original seller sold the breeding dogs to commercial breeders in OK. One commercial breeder was ticked off because the broker would not buy his pups because of the luxating patellas and this was probably in 2002 or 2003. Many times if the brokers will not buy their pups because of a health defect, they will sell them online to unsuspecting buyers!

This is why buyers need to be extremely careful about buying from breeders on the internet and pet stores! Many of us on this list can help you with your research of breeders. The person who sold the pups at auction still has the sire and dam so will probably breed again next year! You can research to find out if the breeder has a USDA license.

Jennifer

• First Basenji's

I am curious to know who was selling these, too. Poor pups. Those look like relatively "low" prices to me… I know purchasing dogs at auction is controversial, but at those prices, I hope some were rescued. 😞

• I just hate to hear about things like this. Poor little pups. I'd like to think they were rescued or going to a loving home.

• I have learned far too much about this industry and know that because a dog is registered AKC doesn't mean that the pup is well bred and even from humane conditions. I sent the AKC an e-mail after learning a great deal about the puppy mill industry and they have not responded. If you wish to really know more you can look for the National Mill Dog Rescue and check out the ASPCA. The national government won't pass FDA legislation to protect animals from unhealthy to down right cruel conditions.

I always encourage everyone I know that if they wish to get a pure bred dog to find a rescue or meet the breeder and see the conditions the puppies are from. The AKC gets millions of dollars every year from people "registering" litters online. Anyone can register if they want to fill out the paper work.

Suggested Topics