• Chealsie, that's so lovely of you to say– thank you! I got Spencer after a breakup, and he was my "new start" dog. I took him everywhere, and he became like a child to me. Like most Bs, he has always been so smart and funny and such a good communicator. We've been a strong pack, and he's the most companionable dog I've ever known. I'm sure you and Oakley will be the same. Bs love their people. They wiggle their way into your heart and there they stay. Oakley is getting into his best years. I know they'll be wonderful ones for you both. 🙂

• My story is exactly the same a yours, Oakley was the dog i was supposed to get with my ex, when he walked out I went ahead and got Oakley and put everything into him, he is what I live for, after all he helped me heal the most painful time in my life. I owe it to him, as I'm sure you feel for spencer. Keep up updated

• @QuizBasenji:

I won't mention the company name in case someone thinks I'm advertising them, (I have no connection with the company, ..

Ya know, phooey with anyone who thinks that. I for sure want to know what you have because if it helps a dog, then by jove I might want one! Sometimes Arwen gets up at night and lies on the floor. Having a little bed in here might be great for those times or when Cara is being insanely wild and she just wants to nap.

• You post hurts my heart, it is so hard when they are not okay. ((hugs)) for you and Spencer. Sending the best of hopes he improves and gratitude that he has you in his life. Sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed with the lack of care of pet owners, then I come to the forum and remember that there are those like you. Please let us know how he does. While I have never had a dog having seizures, I have dealt with aging dogs with other neurological issues. It is just hard because there is only so much that can be done.

• Debra,
    Okay, will do! I've started a thread called Butu's Bed in General, so this thread can be kept for Spencer, who we are all thinking about…

• You are all so wonderful to keep us in your thoughts. It helps, truly.

Spencer is not doing well. He has stopped eating and threw up his water this afternoon. He won't take any more. I'm going to syringe feed him critical care food tonight and keep giving him small doses of Nutri-Cal and Pedialyte. We have tried so many things and have had so many miracles over the years. But he's lost so much weight, and his face has changed. He's starting to get "that look." I just wish we could figure out what's wrong with him. It's more than being old– but we just don't know what it is.

• I am so sorry to hear spencers not getting better. I have heard that seizures can sometimes render stomachs or esophagus's immobile. Perhaps after his big seizure he's lost the ability to swallow or process food. I am so sorry you have to watch him go through this. Trust in your instincts, Know that sometimes the best thing to do is the hardest, don't let him lose his dignity, and remember that no matter what happens you are truly going to the ends of this earth to make him comfortable. If you believe he has another miracle in him then he deserves it.

• I will be thinking about you both a lot in the next 24 hours, hoping and praying for spencer.

• I'm so sorry Spencer isn't doing well. You are in my thoughts and I hope Spencer tells you what you need to know. It's tough for both of you, and it is always difficult to decide whether to go on. Whatever you decide, be gentle with yourself and know that Spencer loves you and trusts you to do the best thing for him.

• I am sorry to read about Spencer not doing well.

Jennifer

• Can you get the vet to administer subQ fluids? keeping hydrated is important, more so than eating. (The sad things I learn on my K9 kidney list) Perhaps that would keep him going long enough so that he feels better. And subQ certainly won't hurt anything even if they don't help.

• I'm heartbroken to write this, but we're out of miracles. The sub-Qs haven't helped, and Spencer can't keep anything down. He had another seizure tonight. I don't think he'll make it till morning, but if he does, I'll have the vet come first thing and help him to a better place. If the pain pills aren't enough, I'll take him to the emergency hospital tonight. When I brought him home as a little puppy, this day seemed so far away. But not nearly far enough.

Thanks, everyone, for your support and thoughts. You understand, and that helps.

Pamela and Spencer

• I am so very, very sorry to read this. "that day" always seems so far away and of course you've done everything you can to keep it farther into the future. My heart breaks for you.

• I am so heartsick, I have no words to describe how sad I am for you to be losing spencer. My thoughts and prayers will be with you both, hoping you each find peace. Always here for you pamela

• I think Elton John had it wrong. "Goodbye" is the hardest word. And sorry isn't nearly adequate, but it's the best I can do. Many people here are feeling your pain today.

• Pamela, just want you to know Oak and I are thinking about you. We had a special evening together in honor of spencer. Youre in our thoughts and hearts.

• Oh Pamela I am so sad and sorry. All I can do is say that and hope you can feel the love and support. ((hugs))

• I am so touched and grateful for your kind words and support. I'm just devastated. I knew it would be a hard loss, and though I had known for some time it was coming, I just couldn't prepare for the tsunami of grief that accompanies the loss of such a beloved companion. Spencer will live on in my heart, but I don't want him there– I want him here, in my lap, with his head on my knee or resting on the desk checking out the computer screen.

Chealsie, I'm so happy you and Oakley had a special day in Spencer's honor. Thank you! That adds a ray of light to my day. That's what I hope everyone can do-- do something special with, or for, their Basenjis, something that brings happiness, good memories and maybe a few baroos and yodels. I didn't get to give Spencer a special last day. His last day-- last week, really-- was not fun, and there was nothing I could do or give him that made it better. That makes me so sad. It would be comforting to know that Bs of all ages in all pockets of the world were getting a special day... or a special treat... or a special belly rub, walk or trip to the dogpark. Spencer would have approved. Thanks, everyone, for thinking of us.

• Pamela, Perry will have a special treat today and I will tell him it comes with Spencer's blessing. Now the important thing is that you take care of you. Take the time to mourn him, cry when you need to. Only time makes it more bearable, and even months after if you are like me you will be blindsided by a thought or an association and start bawling again. After we lost Sunny, a woman at my Mom's nursing home asked me about the dog in the picture on her dresser, and the floodgates just opened. There was a horrible hole in our lives for six months, and then miraculously Perry came to fill it. Sunny would have approved. I hope Spencer sends you a magic dog when the time is right for one.

• So sorry to hear this. I've just given Butu a new soft toy and told him it is from Spencer. He can't understand why I'm sitting here crying. Spencer is free of pain now, but I feel so sad for you in your loss. eeeefarm is spot on - take some time for you now.

Suggested Topics