:( Sad circumstances…I must give my Nikita up...

• To be fair, sh*t does happen, and often it comes in streaks. I have had my share of bad luck this past year, so I can empathize and perhaps understand how circumstances can result in some unhappy but necessary choices. Hopefully things will turn around and improve for the OP. Meantime, I have not walked a mile in her moccasins…...

• Yes, **** happens… to all of us.. however... when she got this intact bitch... her first thoughts were to breed... both the boy that she has and the bitch are from BYBreders. They are not quality dogs. Both/all should be spayed/nuetered and not be considered for breeding. Not sure of the reason that she took this bitch in... would have been better to foster her and BRAT would have paid to spay her and then assist to place her...

• @tanza:

Yes, **** happens… to all of us.. however... when she got this intact bitch... her first thoughts were to breed... both the boy that she has and the bitch are from BYBreders. They are not quality dogs. Both/all should be spayed/nuetered and not be considered for breeding. Not sure of the reason that she took this bitch in... would have been better to foster her and BRAT would have paid to spay her and then assist to place her...

And in her defence, I think she listened to the advice given on this forum and did NOT breed the bitch. Perhaps this or that would have been a better scenario, but all that is water under the bridge so to speak and all we can do is go forward. Hopefully things will turn around for the OP (and others too, if needed) and Nikita will find a great home and not be bounced around any more. In the mean time, I think I will count my own blessings and be grateful. It would be easy for things to be different in each of our lives.

• I saw a Fb post from one of my friends in OKC that her son picked up a female from Craigs list last night, hoping it is Nikita and that she gets her spayed ASAP. Dont trust that ooops litters won't happen with this poor dog.

• Agile basenji- I agree she's listened to forum members advice and has been open about hearing it…however it is still better not to make the mistake (of getting Yet another one) than it is to have to listen and fix the mistake..these are lives we're talking about. Getting a dog is a serious contemplation. I've wanted a second since I got Oakley which that in itself took three years, I won't get a second one because at this point in my life I would have too much to be responsible for if bad things happened. There's more to having a dog than just making a decision to buy or get one. I've been in "those shoes" of having one bad thing happen after another, job loss and then another crapshoot of issues..but I was always secure enough with what I had I knew I could keep and care for through the tough times, and that was paramount in my decision to get a dog. I think shes doing the right thing but it's also my opinion she should stop getting dogs until she's sure she will have a dog for its life.

• No response so wonder if it is the dog on Craigs list. Hope you can get the FB friend to get her son's dog spayed whether it is her or not.

• First Basenji's

lisastewart, love your website and the stories of Rainbow Bridge:)

• It doesn't matter whatever the circumstances are/where. Here's the issue, Nikita needs a new home! Stop bickering and help her find one! People make mistakes, information gets misinterupted. We're only human. She obviously cares about her otherwise she would have just put her up on craigslist for free. I would say if you can't find her a home soon, you should surrender her to BRAT as I know she would be in good hands and SAFE. Good luck with getting yourself back on your feet. Last year I lost my job and had to move back home where my parents didn't want Congo. Thankfully he was able to stay with a friend until I was able to convince them to let him stay with us. (a month later)

• Nikita is living at a basenji savy home in OK with two neutered/sPayed Senjis and is gettin spayed. I'm told she is quite the lap dog and enjoying her new home

• @lisastewart:

Nikita is living at a basenji savy home in OK with two neutered/sPayed Senjis and is gettin spayed. I'm told she is quite the lap dog and enjoying her new home

That's wonderful news! thank you so much for giving us an update.

• Oh, and maybe invite the owners to stop by and post some new pics? Hopefully this will be the end of this pup changing homes.

• Thanks for the update, glad she is safe and getting spayed! Everyone comes on hard times, hopefully life lessons have been learned, not to bite off too much!

• First Basenji's

Yes, thanks for the update and hope this forever home is one.

• This is wonderful news!

Jennifer

• Yes, the internet is a public place and if you post something, be ready to be pounded by criticism. And while this is a great forum for basenji LOVERS… focus on lovers, I would like to make a couple of comments:

1. I'm apparently old, as the original OP is young enough to be my daughter. When I was her age, I was in college and couldn't care less about dogs. If you wanted one, then you'd go to the pound.

2. I know that she's trying to think about the best place for these dogs. And when we are in our early 20's, we are all dreamers, are we not? So we think about being firefighters, teachers, nurses, breeders, veterinarians... and as we grow older and hopes are eroded by reality, we recognize the difference between what we THINK we could do, and the reality of what we CAN do. This is one of Life's hard lessons, to be sure.

3. If I loved my dogs (which, at age 20+ I've already said I wasn't smart enough to recognize as a passion), and if I knew my circumstances meant that I needed to make changes, I would HOPE that I could reach out to people who understood the breed for help... and I would hope that these people would focus on the situation and not on ME, so that at the end of the day, the dogs would be cared for. I would hope that my previous optimistic posts wouldn't be thrown at me...in quotations... and that people that love the breed wouldn't kick me out of the "club" because I had overstepped my personal limits and I now I asked for help. I would hope that people that were older (and wiser than me) would give me a break and let me learn from my mistakes and help others learn from them too.

Being 20 something is tough... we are trying to make our way in life as we are still growing up ourselves. Perhaps it's not an ideal time to pursue dog breeding, but I hope that some of you understand that at this age, we are all gaining wisdom through life lessons.

And while she's perhaps made some "mistakes" in her business decisions for dog breeding... this young lady is NOT a Backyard breeder with over 100 dogs in an unlicensed environment, nor is she selling these dogs as "Rare barkless hypoallergenic dogs" to the unsuspecting internet buyer. She came here first for help and guidance... so why can't we help her without judging her?

As long as we all remember that people make mistakes, and dogs somehow persevere through our ignorance... the dogs will be okay.

• Patty M-
    You are an eloquent writer with a gentle soul. I hope we haven't lost our OP.

• @renaultf1:

Not to come off harsh, but your post in july about your new girl Nikita is quoted below - when you were talking about breeding her before you found out she was from a BYB and said that you would try to find a pedigreed puppy to start with instead. Sorry, but something doesn't add up about having to give her up because you lost your job (how do you do that when you are self-employed) and have plenty of savings. I know…none of my business, but you were the one that posted this...

I also agree with Chelsie that maybe you need to slow down on adding/switching dogs. You have the puppies from the beagle/basenji litter that you are responsible for for their entire lives. You have done a good job of taking them back when they have needed to be re-homed, but maybe slow down a bit until you are more settled.

We agree with Chelsie and renault. Both of them have made some very good points that you should take notice of. As another poster pointed out, people make mistakes, but that does not mean they should not be held accountable. Yes accountable! This appears to be a unique concept in today's world. Along with accountability come consequences. Without consequences what do the people who make mistakes really learn. In fact the ones that suffer are the dogs/puppies.

Personally we find nothing wrong with what has been posted.

We also do not post in this forum or any other forum hoping that everyone is going to agree with our posts or that we will agree with everything that is posted.

• I should add- I'm 24! I've lived on my own since 16 and have never had the "luxury" of dreaming. Perhaps that changes the way I view others, or perhaps it's because I've always been responsible for no other reason than I HAD TO be…so to me, young is not an excuse. And I wasn't trying to be mean but I found myself feeling like this was a saga, and the feelings I felt were strong enough to post, I'd have felt wrong leaving it unsaid.

• Sorry Patty M, but my daughter gave up her allowance savings to get a pound kitten, get it taken care of, find it a home at the age of 8. Someone who is already in their 20s and still unable to make realistic evaluations of their needs, especially when they repeat a RECENT miscalculation on ability, isn't doing so because they are YOUNG, they are doing so because they keep choosing doing what they WANT (not dream!) instead of what they KNOW they really can do, at the risk of the animals involved. If you can get on the internet, you can look up RESPONSIBLE breeding. This person just flew forward with her WANTS. Fortunately she didn't proceed, But suddenly, not worth breeding so out she goes? And what if she HAD bred her… oops, can't deal with litter, off they go? There is a time to be supportive, and there is a time for a dose of "STEP UP AND THINK" and the posters gave that message. Since she wasn't showing any signs of thinking about her actions on her own, sorry but I am harsh enough to hope that a smack on the wrist might help her think next time. Perhaps it is years of counseling drug/alcohol abusers, but I do not see any harm and and I do see a great need for addressing the decision making and consequences of those decisions-- not just help clean up and pat on back.

Nor is she kicked out of the club. I don't think ANYONE here doesn't hope she stays, learns, contributes, grows, helps us grow, discuss before she acts, gives us her views on our thoughts. She has much to contribute, and she certainly tries to do her best once she realizes she over reached. We just want her to not mess up again. It is hard on the dogs, and it is hard on HER. Criticism does not equate with being mean or heartless. It is concern. And she is part of "the club" as long as she wants to be here. No one is going to beat up on her. But she does have to accept, throw aside, sort or ignore advice and views on public forums, be it this or any other. She'll be okay. She can try to see the other sides' views, or she can -- like you have -- relegate them to I guess meanies.

• I agree, I've always loved her posts about Anubis, I did not intend to sound harsh but after keeping my mouth shut the first couple times I saw decisions made that weren't great…...and I just felt this time I had to say something. Its a place to learn from others and to get a perspective perhaps the person(s) posting don't see... Ive had my share of stupid decisions made ( Oakley getting too many shots at once as a pup and bein in a great deal of pain)...I've been "reprimanded" if you will and while it sometimes stings, let's face it...it makes you think the next time!

Suggested Topics