• My husband and I have been talking for a few months about adding a second Basenji to our family (we are the proud parents of a 2 as of this month Basenji mix). We have been watching BRAT but we also are considering going through a breeder, the reason for this is that we feel the best addition to our family would be a puppy under a year old. In our experience our little B girl has done best with puppies that are her size or smaller and she has spent time with since they were puppies (she is 13 lbs) or very mellow fully grown dogs (but even that is iffy). She does great with the dogs she has "grown up with".

We adopted her when she was 2-3 months old from the Hawaiian Humane Society and we were not familiar with the breed at the time. Training her was hard initially because we were not prepared for the breed, but she has turned into an amazing little dog! She is very well behaved, and we socialized her with kids ranging from toddlers to newborn babies, as well as various friends and their dogs.

We want a puppy that will serve as a lifelong companion for not only us, but our little girl. If anyone has any advice for us we would really appreciate it! We prefer brindle, red and white, or tri color. We also prefer a female dog, but would be open to a male also (we would prefer her to meet any addition to the family prior to bringing them home, we have always been able to tell if they will get along in the future, even if they don't initially). We are in West Texas, and probably would want to adopt in the winter (trying to give our little girl some more time to settle into our new home).

Thanks!

Ashley

• private message my email and i will try to help you find a new friend 🙂 podhradsky@live.com

• Hi Baileysmom,

https://www.basenji.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_contact&view=category&catid=102&Itemid=221

That'll take you to the BCOA breeder listings for TX. From reading various posts on here I remember there being at least one member who went to Illusion and highly recommends them. Most B's are born in winter so you won't have any problem with timing but you'll want to start talking and visiting breeders now and get on their waiting list. Good luck in your search!

• Please make sure that you go to a responsible breeder…. and that they health test. A good place to start would be as TMartin suggests

• Thank you all! I had looked on the BCOA website, so it is good to know other people suggest Illusion! I have also seen the threads on here about screening breeders and Fanconi testing and all of that! I didn't realize you have to get on waiting lists so far in advance, so that is good to know! Thank you! We will start our search!

Ashley

• Please be careful as there are a lot of BYBs in TX. Ask a lot of questions and make sure they do health testing and not just for Fanconi either.

Jennifer

• My husband and I have been talking for a few months about adding a second Basenji to our family (we are the proud parents of a 2 as of this month Basenji mix). We have been watching BRAT but we also are considering going through a breeder, the reason for this is that we feel the best addition to our family would be a puppy under a year old. In our experience our little B girl has done best with puppies that are her size or smaller and she has spent time with since they were puppies (she is 13 lbs) or very mellow fully grown dogs (but even that is iffy). She does great with the dogs she has "grown up with".

Suggested Topics