Someone dumped three b puppies

• about 8 months old, right down the street from our house. We live in a super small town in Southern IL and I really think someone knew we have a basenji. they dumped them at the church doorsteps before churchtime (my husband is the pastor) RIGHT ON THE HIGHWAY. We caught one (black and white)last night and found it a great home but couldn't catch the other 2. One of the little girls (Brown and White) got hit by a car. We found her this morning and spent $114 and 3 hours at the vet. She is in a crate in front of me right now and will be ok but now I have to find her a home. The other black one was a girl but is nowhere to be found.
    Question: do black and browns come from the same litter? If not I have an idea about where these may have come from.:( related to where we got our own boy.

• How sad that someone would do that to any animal. Makes me angry and sad. I am glad you have the two, at least they are safe and fed. I hope you find the third one safe. I am no expert on breeding, but I think the different colors can come from the same litter. One of our members will know for sure. Good luck on finding homes for the little ones and thank you for taking them in.

• Definitely can happen to have reds and blacks in one litter.

• Where in Southern IL? I have a good friend in Makanda. Maybe can find someone.

• You could contact BRAT: www.basenjirescue.org

I am sure they would be happy to help you place the puppies.

• Yes, different colors can come from the same litter… only if you breed a Tri to a Tri will you get only Tri color.....

• please keep us posted. BRAT should definately be able to help!

• BRAT is wonderful…keep us posted PLEASE...how sad that someone could do that, they should be prosecuted if found...hope the thrid pup is found soon and safe...

• Well, a family we trust has the 1st little boy and another is considering the little girl but the 3rd (girl) we could not catch and she was hit by a car this morning… makes me so angry, the dogs have been overfed and have their nails clipped so I am unsure why someone would choose to dump them like that.

• How sad….. glad to hear that at least 2 have made it..... How do you know the nail were clipped?.... and overfed? Just throwing something out... are they "fat" due to maybe worms?

• We took her to the vet and they said the nails were clipped…. also had her checked for worms and she does not have them... I think she was overfed because she is fat:o So that is just my opinion.

• She'snot pregnant, is she?

• well, if she is so is her little brother we placed Wed. 🙂

• Well, You never know! Maybe, hmmmmm,nah!

• That is true, if they are eight months, it is possible that she has been in season and her brother bred her… regardless if he is fat also, you might want to have the bitch watched or checked out just in case

• OK, SO i CALLED MY BREEDER AND SHE SAID THAT THE dogs were americanized Basenjis while mine was an Avangar (sp?) African Basenji. She said that the American ones were more squat and shorter. We did not pay for papers on our dog and she said we could pay her for them if we want to.. $200)

• It is against AKC policy for breeders to charge extra for papers. If the dog is from an AKC registered litter a breeder is supposed to give the buyer the puppy's registration papers at the time of purchase unless there are in the contract specifically stipulated obligations that must be fulfilled before they are released, such as, spay/neuter.

• @RHicks:

OK, SO i CALLED MY BREEDER AND SHE SAID THAT THE dogs were americanized Basenjis while mine was an Avangar (sp?) African Basenji. She said that the American ones were more squat and shorter. We did not pay for papers on our dog and she said we could pay her for them if we want to.. $200)

Who is your breeder?

• @RHicks:

OK, SO i CALLED MY BREEDER AND SHE SAID THAT THE dogs were americanized Basenjis while mine was an Avangar (sp?) African Basenji. She said that the American ones were more squat and shorter. We did not pay for papers on our dog and she said we could pay her for them if we want to.. $200)

As Lisa, it is not an acceptable practice by AKC rules to have people pay extra for the papers. All papers should go with the pup. This is also not an acceptable practice of the Basenji Club of America

• wow, I did not know that. She gave me the name of the mom and dad but said she did not register the litter because she just sold them as pets and to register my dog she would have to pay to register the whole litter. She said she sells her stud eveery year to prevent crossbreeding. The breeder's 1st name is Melinda and she lives in southern Illinois. I have her phone number and picked the puppy up in person so I hve her address also. The stud was already sold but his name is Achin-roth ( I am sure I am spelling that wrong). I do know she was ill at the time I bought our dog and had just had back surgery… that is why she was selling them at a reduced price. At the time I did not know enough about Basenjis to request paperwork.

Suggested Topics