• @QuizBasenji:

I don't know how it is in the USA, but here in the UK, pregnancy is not covered by normal health insurance. So, should something go wrong, you could be faced with a massive bill…

And death of the bitch….. breeding is not to be taken lightly

• I don't think the OP is on the same page. She just has a girl dog that she likes and thinks it would be neat to have some pups. She is obviously not aware of health concerns in the breed. Sorry to sound condescending, but I think the only unusual thing about this is that she has come on a forum and asked, instead of just finding some male and getting on with it…...possibly because it isn't so easy to do with Basenjis. You can't count on finding a willing dog owner in the breed to provide a stud.

I know of quite a few people with purebred pets who at some point or other get the idea they would like to have pups from them. Yeah, backyard breeder, and many say it with contempt. They don't do research, skip the important health tests, and just go ahead and breed. However, sometimes it works out well, the resulting offspring get good homes, and everyone involved is happy with the outcome. Everyone knows the other possible outcomes, with unwanted puppies or heartbroken owners who picked up a cheap pup with health issues.....

• That's why I pointed out a practical problem the OP might not have thought of…heck, my boy came from an 'accidental breeding', so I can hardly cast the first stone 😉

• @eeeefarm:

O.K. so I want to ask this question one more time, as nobody has answered it. How old would you breed a first time bitch? (for that matter, at what point do you consider a bitch too old to breed?) This girls is 7-8 years of age. (Which? If she has papers, it shouldn't be too hard to tell) and if she doesn't cycle until the fall, will be older. So, all other considerations aside, would it be wise to breed her?

I had an oops breeding when my bitch (maiden) was 7 years old, I opted to have her spayed. Her uterus was examined upon removal to see if she have any puppies in there. What she had were little bags of pus, I don't know what could have happened if I let her carry that to term.

• @giza1:

I had an oops breeding when my bitch (maiden) was 7 years old, I opted to have her spayed. Her uterus was examined upon removal to see if she have any puppies in there. What she had were little bags of pus, I don't know what could have happened if I let her carry that to term.

Sounds to me like she had Pyometra. A good friend of mine bred her bitch and the bitch got Pyometra, needed emergency spay to save her life.

• @QuizBasenji:

That's why I pointed out a practical problem the OP might not have thought of…heck, my boy came from an 'accidental breeding', so I can hardly cast the first stone 😉

Anyone can have an opps, happens to the best of breeders…. it is what you do then that matters...

• @tanza:

Sounds to me like she had Pyometra. A good friend of mine bred her bitch and the bitch got Pyometra, needed emergency spay to save her life.

sounds scary
    and expen$ive.

• For people reading this thread, I'd like to clarify what I meant by my earlier post in saying my girl had satifactory health testing. She was tested and recieved a CHIC from the ofa. Eyes/thyroid - normal; hips - good; Fanconi - carrier. Additionally, as a certified therapy dog, she sees her vet every 12 months for a yearly check up.

• @tanza:

I had another bitch that was bred and ended up with closed cervix pyometra and she definitely needed an emergency spay. Come to think of it, she was a maiden bitch as well… and she was only 3. Of course these weren't Basenjis, but that doesn't matter, the risks are the same.

@agilebasenji:

sounds scary
    and expen$ive.

Yes it's scary and expensive, and pyometra can happen to can happen to an unbred bitch after she comes out of season.

• Please research the health problems in Basenjis especially Fanconi Syndrome! There is a DNA cheek swab test for it and I believe it only costs $75. If your dog has not been tested and is over two years old, she needs to be strip tested for glucose in the urine monthly until you have the DNA test done and obtain the results. Untreated Fanconi Syndrome will kill a dog!

Here is a webpage that explains health problems in Basenjis:

https://www.basenji.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=155&Itemid=292

Jennifer

Suggested Topics